Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

On 3/17/2020 at 7:05 AM, nightranger36 said:

That upper 10th ave. will be a game changer on church street. I just don't know if it will be for good or bad. Will it add more traffic on church or be a relief/cut thru for traffic to get off of church?

nightranger36 has posed an interesting question here.  Not only will Church Street be affected, but Commerce Street will feed into the new Tenth Avenue (high and low) from the east.  Commerce is really under-utilized, and may continue to be, but there is a possibility that Commerce can relieve some of the congestion on Church at certain times of day.  Bigger question may be how all this new traffic is going to get to and from the interstate.  Amazon fly-over?   Wait.  They will all live in Tony's new tower.  Problem solved.  :tw_smirk:

2 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Someone can probably post a rendering that captures it, but I'm pretty sure upper 10th will only have vehicular access to Church St. and will only extend the length of the Amazon towers to the north and the length of the AEG complex to the south.    It won't connect or have a ramp to either Broadway or Charlotte.    It will provide vehicle access to the Amazon and AEG parking and passenger drop off.      Lower 10th will remain continuous from Broadway to Charlotte.     

Actually, here's a pretty good rendering that shows the southern terminus of Upper 10th more or less at Commerce St.,     Commerce St. connects to Lower 10th.  

image.thumb.png.56130a15fee9ab006e2565bfd4a0cb74.png

That was my understanding as well going all the way back to when this development was first announced. But the comments above seemed to me to suggest that there would be some connection b/n upper 10th and B'way. That rendering shows otherwise. 

Before Nashville Yards, 10th St went from Broadway, connecting with Commerce St, and then continued under Church St to Charlotte St. The only purpose of Upper 10th St is to feed traffic into Nashville Yards from Church St. Otherwise, all Nashville Yards traffic would have to come from Broadway or Charlotte. There is no net gain/loss from this design for 10th St.

Lower 10th St will be exactly the same as before

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seems to me that any reason for any delay in hotel construction would not be the present state of the tourism industry, but the capabilities of the investors (financial source) to remain liquid right now.  Larger institutions aren't pulling back at this time, but would if this crisis extends for a year to eighteen months.  For projects already underway,  it would even be an advantage to proceed with hotel construction in order to be further along, or completed by the time the economy recovers. Nashville will remain a place where hotels will want to be. Projects that haven't started may be delayed, as that just seems to make a lot of sense in many cases.  MGM is already funded, and site prep is underway. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I did just see an article on CBS saying this is the best time for some of these construction projects to really speed up as they are restricted by traffic. So with the reduced traffic, concrete pour and street closings can happen with little or no disruptions leading to a shorter build out time and thus lower cost. 

Some of these project may save money due to decreased energy cost, decreased building cost, decreased labor cost due to the huge availability of labor in the market.

Also some of the projects may take advantage of lower interest rates, refinance current projects and thus save even more money.

All very good points, smeags.  These should also go in the Economic Conditions thread.

Speaking of lower interest rates, the 10Y Treasury has hit a record low and 30Y mortgage rates typically follow this rate.  A client is refinancing his house at 3.125%.

• Like 2