Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

A source verified that 8:30 AM on Saturday is set for the implosion of the Draper Building. He is an engineer on the site design. 

I plan on being downtown to view it, and then head right over to our Urban Planet Nashville Meet-Up that runs from 10 AM to noon at La Luna Taqueria (300 James Robertson Parkway).

• Like 2

More info on the implosion of Draper Tower Saturday at 9:30 AM:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/01/03/lifeway-building-implosion-nashville-tennessee/997625001/

Saturday’s implosion will involve several downtown street closures: They include:

11th Avenue N., between McGavock and Grundy.

10th Avenue N., between Broadway and Commerce (Friday and Saturday)

9th Avenue N., between Broadway and Church

Broadway between 8th Avenue N., and 12th Avenue N.

Church Street between Rosa L. Parks Blvd., and George L. Davis Blvd.

Commerce Street between 8th Avenue N., and 10th Avenue N. (Friday and Saturday).

So, it would appear that the closest anyone will be able to get for a good view will be:

1) At intersection of Grundy and 11th on the west side of the tracks
2) 10th Ave. and Broadway between Union Station and Frist Center.

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 7.11.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 7.11.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 7.12.15 AM.png

I will watch from 11th Ave in the Gulch or the Church ST. bridge over the Gulch.  There may be a bit of a crowd, but the cold weather will keep most away I think.  Either one  looks to be a good spot as long as they don't close the road. If anyone wants to meet at La yyena at 8:30 and walk over as a group, I am open. I will go inside and get the seats ready and then head over. If it is on time, we should be back by 10.

Dress warmly for the walk as the high will be 32 or so and that will not be until the afternoon.

I wonder how much of the lack of affection for this building is related to the fact that it barely addresses the street at all. This is the front door right? It looks like a loading dock. This (like the old convention center) is what you get when you design a building where you're scared of the sidewalks outside.

image.thumb.png.efb3a0eb332604e759825dc399ad5ddb.png

Edited by AronG
typo
  • Like 4

Re: Meet-Up after Draper Tower implosion.  I plan on being at corner of Gundy and 11th Ave. North to watch the demo at 9:30 AM Saturday.  Immediately following, I will head over to La Lluna Taqueria at 300 James Robertson Parkway (NW corner ofJRP and 3rd Ave. North) to moderate our January Urban Planet Nashville get together.  Special guest will be Mary Beth Ikard, Manager of Mayor's Ofifce of Transportation & Sustainability to talk about the new mass transit plan and field questions. Normally we begin at 10 AM...but have pushed it back to 10:15.  Hope you can join us!  

10 hours ago, PHofKS said:

A truly unremarkable building that no one will notice (or care) that it's gone.

26173431_1746148465419576_74671424763246

I guess they had to clear out the hotel (Holiday Inn?) for the event. That's expensive.

"A truly unremarkable building that no one will notice (or care) that it's gone."...a completely true statement, yet, it is still 1000  times more appealing than the travesty that is the Westin. lol   

• Like 2

May be helpful for those going to see the implosion and/or meetup:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – Some road closures are planned for downtown Saturday morning to make sure people are safe during the implosion of the Lifeway Tower.

The closures will last from 7 a.m. until 11 a.m.. The following streets will be closed:

Broadway from Rosa L. Parks Blvd to 12th Avenue
    Church Street from Rosa L. Parks Blvd to George L. Davis Blvd
    11th Avenue North from Grundy to McGavock Streets
    10th Avenue North from Broadway to Church Street
    9th Avenue North from Broadway to Church Street
    Commerce Street from Rosa L. Parks Blvd to 10th Avenue North
    Lifeway Plaza

Roads may reopen early depending on the progress of the demolition.

12 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I will watch from 11th Ave in the Gulch or the Church ST. bridge over the Gulch. 

It says this area is closed... or is it just closed to traffic? Or do you have special access?? Haha.

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

Wish we could place something over the railroad tracks to make them disappear as well.

I completely agree. It really would not be that difficult to construct what would basically be a really wide bridge, and cover it with a park, or lesser buildings. Then again, Manhattan covered an entire rail yard with supertall skyscrapers (Hudson Yards. My favorite development in the entire country right now http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/ (scroll down to the interactive guide))

• Like 1

I am at a loss as to where to go for this one. They are being overly cautious for this one. Hopefully they will not close Church until I get my slow butt across the bridge. It looks as if Grundy and Porter will be open, so lets join Mark at that corner.

Also if everyone that is going to the meet, please give us a heads up, either here or on the meetup thread.