Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

4 hours ago, PHofKS said:

5abe0c4dd3b40_NashvilleYardsMidtownfrom5

Midtown!!!! 

We have a Midtown with all that incredible urban density that, standing alone, would make an impressive city. Not many of the cities in our tier of cities can claim such an urban treasure with a Music Row economic engine, a top 15 national University, high-rise canyons, a Centennial Park and a live-work-play environment that city planners strive to create in every other city in America.

Just imagine how that view is going to look in 5-10 years. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PHofKS said:

5abe0c4dd3b40_NashvilleYardsMidtownfrom5

Midtown!!!! 

We have a Midtown with all that incredible urban density that, standing alone, would make an impressive city. Not many of the cities in our tier of cities can claim such an urban treasure with a Music Row economic engine, a top 15 national University, high-rise canyons, a Centennial Park and a live-work-play environment that city planners strive to create in every other city in America.

that is a FANTASTIC shot!!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 12:58 PM, timmay143 said:

Wish we had better opportunities for using this area as a rail transit hub.  So much potential.  History repeats itself.  What's old becomes new again...

Union Station, no longer a station.  No passenger rail at all.  Why did we stop using and destroy out street rail?!  Hindsight is always so clear!

Your right it could be perfect for a above ground trasit hub station build along with the yards development

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chris holman said:

Your right it could be perfect for a above ground trasit hub station build along with the yards development

Which is why I have been badgering everyone in Metro Gov't down there that I could contact to try and get them to get back with CSX  and see if they would be more open to commuter rail now that they have gone through a restructuring and paired down their activity at Radnor Yards! 

Somebody wanna help? All it takes is some emails and phone calls and maybe some action will be taken-commuter rail has to be a bigger part of the mass transit picture-too many commuters from Williamson and Rutherford Counties!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

Which is why I have been badgering everyone in Metro Gov't down there that I could contact to try and get them to get back with CSX  and see if they would be more open to commuter rail now that they have gone through a restructuring and paired down their activity at Radnor Yards! 

Somebody wanna help? All it takes is some emails and phone calls and maybe some action will be taken-commuter rail has to be a bigger part of the mass transit picture-too many commuters from Williamson and Rutherford Counties!

So, when the Metro Transportation and Sustainability Manager (Mary Beth Ikard) presented the transit plan to UP at a Saturday meet-up a couple of months ago, I asked her that very question. She said Radnor/CSX discussions are off the table for now and no plan to reconsider/resurrect talks. She also stated clearly that the (then) mayor Barry would not try another transit proposal in her current term - if this one doesn't pass. Here's what I think: if this plan doesn't pass, Radnor Yards (as a regional transit hub) comes back into play, folded into another mass transit proposal with another mayor, within the next year or two. The discussion becomes more regional rather than local Davidson County. Just my 2 cents.

Ms. Ikard's contact info:

Email: [email protected] Tell: 615.862.6036

Her boss, Erin Hafkenschiel, director of Transportation and Sustainability is at:

Tel: 615.862.6000

No email is shown.

Admins, feel free to move this to transit thread if appropriate!

Edited by Flatrock
  • Like 1

As much as I would like them to, I don’t think CSX would agree to sublease or sell Radnor Yard capacity to the city for regional transit. Now they’re not using a lot of capacity, but what happens if one day they want to return to previous levels of use? Then they would have to deal with the headache of trying to undo a regional rail network to get it back. It would be a political nightmare. I just don’t see the upside for CSX. 

22 hours ago, Flatrock said:

The upside was them getting a cool +/- $767mm for a very landlocked site in exchange for a more expandable site in Rutherford or Wilson County at a much lower cost. I believe one such site in Rutherford County had been identified.  Note the discussed purchase price for a +500 acre site close to downtown was considerably less than the cost of the proposed underground station. 500 acres!!! You could do soooo much with that in a public private partnership. I'll be quiet now. :)

People  in West and South Nashville aren't going to stop using their cars no matter what the transit situation ultimately becomes. However, they may be willing to drive a little less if they could drive to a park and ride, hop on a train and unload right next to where they work.

That they may be willing to do and if that happens that would mean a real reduction in traffic coming into Downtown at rush hour and Radnor is the perfect spot for both West and South Nashville residents to access a park and ride station.

Edited by bnacincy
spelling
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Can the existing rail lines be used for frequent passenger service? 

Yes. That was the whole point of the consideration by both parties. It would give a municipality access to the CSX rail lines. There are options as to which rail lines are used for freight trains to traverse/go around the city from North/South/East/West, assuming the central yards are not at Radnor, but in Rutherford or Wilson County.

12 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I meant “if” we hypothetically were able to relocate csx

10 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

but the freight trains would still have to use the rails through downtown.

9 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Yes. That was the whole point of the consideration by both parties. It would give a municipality access to the CSX rail lines. There are options as to which rail lines are used for freight trains to traverse/go around the city from North/South/East/West, assuming the central yards are not at Radnor, but in Rutherford or Wilson County.

It is totally possible to develop these types of agreements. CSX would retain ownership of all existing rails and the state(regional rail) or municipality (local) would have right-of-use privileges. CSX trains typically would have priority, so commuter trains would have to wait for those long ass trains to move through if they meet somewhere.

The biggest thing with these agreements is safety. The MBTA (Boston) has an agreement on some of their lines and because of a possibility (no matter how slim) of an collision, the trains and passenger coaches have to be built like absolute tanks. They would be required to be able to take a collision with minimal damage or loss of life probability. This tends to limit some of the more sleek/modern lighter trains, especially when rail lines try to go the more efficient route with electrification (which is required when the word tunnel comes up)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1