Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Well....that was fast. Demo finished on former LifeWay Store.  starting demo on large warehouse/garage immediately to the north.

Looking east from the Broadway Viaduct:

Hyatt Regency demo, Oct 15, 2017 1.jpg

Holy crap, did they drop a Daisy Cutter on that thing or something?  That demo lasted all of five minutes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember staying at the stouffer (sp?) at some point in the early 90s and getting up early to see an implosion from the windows at the end of of the hallway on the north end. Maybe for what ever was where the att building is, but I've never been sure. And I don't remember the building that came down. I just remember the dust. 

• Like 2

There are def uglier (that are newer) buildings in the city than this.  I have never really disliked it, but to me it looks more like a hospital than an office building.

Not trying to get religious, but has there been any backlash from people about this being demolished since it has a big cross on it?

Edited by bigeasy

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

The buildings they are proposing to build aren't much better than this building. I just don't see how it makes sense financially to demolish the building and build another similar building instead of just renovating for half the price and in a quarter of the time. 

I've never been inside but I would bet the design of the garage has a lot to do with it. Looks like it's all ramp under the building footprint.

• Like 1

Personally I've always thought this was an attractive building. Obviously the warehouse component underneath should go but I wish this building would have been incorporated into the site plans, especially considering it is likely to be a few yrs bofore anything is built in its place.

Edited by troyboytn
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, titanhog said:

Is this the tallest building to ever be brought down in Nashville?

I know the 10 story Sam Davis Hotel was imploded in the 80's and possibly (based on my feeble recollection) the 11 story Sudekim Building, the 12 story National Life Building and the 11 story Genesco Building soon after.

• Like 1

50 stories with a pointy crown! I’m just happy to see Hyatt return - and with such a splash, too! I think the Hyatt is going to look far more impressive in-person than in the renderings (that wall of glass looks sleek as can be). Of course if they added 10 more floors to it no one here would care.

• Like 2