Oceanfront Hyatt's (Completed)

Vanguard

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like they've already started construction. This project is moving fast.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/04/work-new-hotels-begins-va-beach-oceanfront#_ga=1.251942539.385939631.1394095329

Eventually they're gonna have to raise the height limit somehow. Literally every new hotel is building up to the height limit. This project could've been one 38-story building with more open space.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I went to the Skybar last night. As I looked down the strip, the view was pretty sweet looking towards the Cavalier and the Mayflower. But looking towards the lower streets, I couldn't help but think that the stretch between 20th and 30th Streets could use a little more height and some more glass. I can't wait to see more hotels like this one. Hopefully more stuff starts going up along Pacific Avenue as well. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

The hotel currently under construction is a Hyatt Place Hotel. This second hotel is a Hyatt House hotel. Both hotels were proposed  simultaneously, but the Hyatt House was later put on hold. The VB city council is now considering a proposal which would have the Hyatt House become a reality.

Ok, thanks, that makes a bit more since. The pilot gives the impression that both buildingsides have yet to start,  and are waiting on council actions.

• 2 weeks later...

This one's on the developer. I don't feel sorry for them one bit. Do not start construction until you have financing secured, period ( I guess nobody learned anything from Granby Tower). Especially don't start it with the expectation that you will get some handout from the city or state. I'm a very pro development person, but Divaris and Hoffler have gone to this well one too many times now. There seems to be a sense of entitlement. Now nobody wants to build anything unless they get money from the city. This is not the way major cities operate and I fear we've set a bad precedent with the amount of assistance we've given to private projects. Time to start cutting back. 

http://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/oceanfront-hyatt-hotel-doesn-t-meet-qualifications-for-state-city/article_3dff447d-3134-5e0d-9db5-cc8c7bb88aa0.html

This whole thing is quite a mess. I fear we may be stuck with a half built hotel on the oceanfront. From Mayor Sessoms:

“The biggest hurdle to overcome is the hotel is seven stories up right now,” Sessoms said. “I would think that one wouldn’t begin construction unless they had a firm financing commitment and the bank financing in place.”

What were they thinking?