Oceanfront Hyatt's (Completed)

Vanguard

Well, now in the end I'm sure the city will end up footing the bill because they aren't going to want a half finished hotel stinking up the resort district for the next few years while it awaits funding.

Who approved the start of construction, I mean, someone had to. You just don't start building without the zoning, surveying, permits, ect. I would expect with a project this big, before the city would issue the building permits they might decide wether the project is financial feasibly to be completed.

5 hours ago, Qdeathstar said:

Well, now in the end I'm sure the city will end up footing the bill because they aren't going to want a half finished hotel stinking up the resort district for the next few years while it awaits funding.

Who approved the start of construction, I mean, someone had to. You just don't start building without the zoning, surveying, permits, ect. I would expect with a project this big, before the city would issue the building permits they might decide wether the project is financial feasibly to be completed.

Unfortunately, I don't think it works like this. Once you've been through the planning process, and all designs have been approved, you are free to do as you wish. The only time the city has authority over the construction process is when there is a specific public component, such as tax increment financing, or in violation of city code (this is when the surveying, permitting, and periodic inspections come in to ensure that code isn't being violated). This was not a public project....yet, there was only the possibility that there would be a public component sometime down the road. I'm sure some with the city asked questions when the hotel started going up, but that is really the limit of what they could do.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/hyatt-developer-claims-unlevel-playing-field-to-develop-at-the/article_b0cf95e6-d124-574b-a538-155deb769bf5.html

I....I actually agree with John Moss on this one. :o Regardless, there are some pretty neat renderings at the link. I'd copy and paste them here, but feeling too lazy at the moment. :P

• 3 months later...

The Hyatt Oceanfront is hoping to open early 2017. I am loving the look of this hotel. The hotel continues to push the Oceanfront for a higher end experience. And a second tower could be on the way. 

http://pilotonline.com/inside-business/developer-new-hyatt-house-oceanfront-hotel-expected-to-welcome-first/article_35aa6950-24c4-5f10-b74d-7c7efa80c02b.html#utm_source=pilotonline.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletters%2Finside-business%2Ftuesday%2F&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

There is some action on phase 2. On mobile so I can't get the link to work but the developer has applied for an alternative compliance:

"PROPOSED APARTMENTS WILL FEATURE GROUND LEVEL RETAIL ALONG ATLANTIC AVE AND A RESTAURANT WITH THE VIEWS OF THE OCEAN"

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

More residential is a plus for me. I think 25th St. and up is where we'll see the most action towards modernizing the Strip. That stretch between 25th and 40th Streets is starting to get a smaller Miami feel, IMO.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tomorrow, Council plans to vote on whether or not to approve a 17-story high-rise along 27th St. Former Buffalo Bills star Bruce Smith is one of the names attached.

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/article_c4af9508-d7d1-11e8-8339-7bafdd5f9f08.html

Hopefully there are better renderings...this one is kinda dull IMO. Either way, I'm hoping this leads to a lot more contemporary high-rise development at the Beach.

5bd0e338cdc77.image.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Agreed. CHEAP.  I was just down there. BTW, I have noted that "big bro" isn't all that handsome from several angles either. Plain, unimaginative and unfinished looking (literally on that lower SE/SW portion...and yes I know why but it's strange nonetheless). And, no, the cool blue neon doesn't totally save the place lol.  

Now, the New Marriott? MAGNIFCENT. The Cavalier and Residences (ALL SOLD BUT 1)? MAGNIFICENT. At night?  Even MORE MAGNIFICENT.

I have met BT, but I don't know BT.  I  have met BS, but I don't know BS. However, I can truly and unequivocally say that BT is inifinitely greater than BS/AH at developing hotels. PERIOD.  So the thought of BS/AH ever being awarded the rights to develop the crown jewel that is Rudee Loop...especially over BT who has always coveted the opportunity though now seems curiously disinterested (yet still opposed to BS/AH doing anything there lol)...troubles me.