New Realm Brewery

HRVT

So a couple years ago, it was announced that Virginia Beach was going to be getting the East Coast brewery for Green Flash Brewing. A few months ago, they finally broke ground. Now on that site, there are rezoning signs and absolutely no sign of construction. Is this project still a go?

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green Flash has a lot of info on their site about their upcoming VB location – including on their homepage. They also had a big ground breaking party with the Mayor and stuff. I've got to imagine they are still on and just delayed. I certainly hope so!

I hope that it's just a delay. But given that the groundbreaking was about 6 months ago and nothing has happened to that site since, I can't imagine that that's a good sign.

• 2 months later...

I hope that it's just a delay. But given that the groundbreaking was about 6 months ago and nothing has happened to that site since, I can't imagine that that's a good sign.

In good news, it appears that construction work is about to begin. I drove by the site earlier this week and there is construction equipment on site. It's been set for an early 2016 opening for a while now, so if construction is quick, it may open about on time.... depending on your definition of "early 2016".

Hooray! I am bummed that this isn't going in at the Oceanfront or Town Center though. Seems like a pretty out of the way spot.

It's actually not that far from the Oceanfront. Also, the site that they're using will allow for future expansion, and the restaurant scene in the Red Mill area has been growing a decent bit in the past several years. We've had a large influx of tourists down that way in recent years, and it provides another piece of the puzzle for the Corporate Landing business district.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When you look at the location, it's not far from the Oceanfront. It's relatively close in proximity to Back Bay Brewing, Reaver Beach Brewing and Young Veteran's Brewing. Couple that with some of the breweries around Shore Drive as well as the distilleries opening in the resort district and Virginia Beach has a bit of a trail of beer that could be alluring for tourists.

• 1 month later...

It seems construction has slowed down a bit. I think at this point, any hope of an "early 2016" open is out the window. I think we're looking at something more around the range of Late Spring - Early Summer. But that's of course, only a guess.

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, 23320 said:

The main business is production and they already scaled back both east and west coast facilities. They just misread the national market. 

That makes more sense. Young Veterans Brewing is not too far off Dam Neck and seems to do pretty well to be in the middle of nowhere. 

It's disappointing that they didn't even last two years... but it appears that expanding to the East Coast was a MAJOR mistake on their part and that they tried to expand far too quickly. It appears that once Stone made the decision to expand east, so did Green Flash. Problem was that Green Flash didn't have the brand recognition on the east coast. I had a hunch once they stopped distributing to a vast majority of the east coast states a couple months ago that Green Flash's east coast operations didn't have long for the world. The brewery itself seemed to be busy from what I hear.... it was their lack of sales OUTSIDE of the brewery. Frankly, I didn't find very much Green Flash beer when  I was out an about (I don't live in VA anymore... but for an operation as big as GF's, I would imagine I would see their beer SOMEWHERE in the NC Triad... or the Triangle... or Charlotte.... yet I never did).

45 minutes ago, Up2313 said:

I never went and they officially did not open today.  Hopefully a local brand looking to expand production will occupy it soon. I could see someone like O Conners taking over the facility. 

Agreed... if O'Connor has aspirations to go super-regional, this could be their chance. Interestingly, living in the NC Triad, I've seen O'Connor beer more than I have seen Green Flash (though that might have been on visits to the Outer Banks or Raleigh/Durham because apparently it can't be found in the Triad). I highly doubt O'Connor would make such a big move (we're talking an 8 figure investment), but if they do plan to do it, this is the opportunity to pick up the facility below the cost they would otherwise be able to do so. And I'm sure another local expanding brewery would be perfectly happy to snatch up O'Connor's current spot.

O'Connor has a pretty solid following in Ghent/Park Place and downtown. I doubt the people who go to that location will drive all the way to General Booth regularly.

I could see a second location opening out there, but not the entire operations.

Archived