NRA Convention This Weekend

NOTE: This is really not intended to devolve to a political debate.

Regardless of anyone's feelings towards the NRA as an organization, or the speakers and special guests they will be hosting, this will be a huge event. To my knowledge, the MCC has not yet hosted anything nearly this big or high profile.  All of the major probable Republican presidential candidates will be in attendance and tens of thousands of attendees, this is going to be a good test of the ability of the MCC and our hotels to handle this sort of thing.

I'm not going to be around, so I'd love to get some observations from people who are in the area who can give some feedback on how things are going, if things are crazy downtown, how the hotels seem to be handling it, etc.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of anyone's feelings towards the NRA as an organization, or the speakers and special guests they will be hosting, this will be a huge event. To my knowledge, the MCC has not yet hosted anything nearly this big or high profile.  All of the major probable Republican presidential candidates will be in attendance and tens of thousands of attendees, this is going to be a good test of the ability of the MCC and our hotels to handle this sort of thing.

I'm not going to be around, so I'd love to get some observations from people who are in the area who can give some feedback on how things are going, if things are crazy downtown, how the hotels seem to be handling it, etc.

Just an observation while driving down KVB this morning. Heavy security outside the MCC. Uniformed officers everywhere, big dudes in suits with earpieces standng around black SUVs. Agree it's going to be a huge event.

A few weeks ago I was trying to book a hotel for somebody that will be visiting Nashville this weekend, and it was nearly impossible.  The best I could do was the Hampton Inn on Ellison, and they had jacked the room rates up to $550 a night!  At the Hampton!    

A few weeks ago I was trying to book a hotel for somebody that will be visiting Nashville this weekend, and it was nearly impossible.  The best I could do was the Hampton Inn on Ellison, and they had jacked the room rates up to $550 a night!  At the Hampton!    

WTF?! That is outrageous.

Have not been downtown since Wednesday night and security was really tight. I won't go back downtown until they are all gone. Planning on keeping it on the East Side this weekend. 

Walked around downtown last night. Insanity all around. Today at noon they had an anti-gun rally at Riverfront Park. I was not there although I wanted to be, but was tired and did not want to get in the fray just in case any violence broke out.

I honestly don't think there was much danger of that. 

• 4 weeks later...

I attended this event (yes, I'm a NRA member) and it was absolutely packed. First time at the MCC and was very impressed, awesome facility. As far as violence breaking out, there is more a chance of seeing violence at a random bar on Broad during the week than because of this event.

Archived