the Press.

The future of concert venue Ritz Ybor is in doubt as it files for Chapter 7 bankruptcy:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/future-of-ritz-ybor-uncertain-as-owner-files-chapter-7-bankruptcy/2336276

Prahaboheme has mentioned the decline in fortunes of Ybor City before and how that relates to comparisons between downtown Tampa vs. downtown Orlando. This appears to be the latest in that. Our most similar venue, The Beacham, seems to be hanging in there.

(From the St. Pete Times - and I still refuse to use the new name, curmudgeon that I am...)

Florida: the original home of "put up a bunch of ugly boxes and Jesus, people bought 'em..."

Story from The New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/requiem-for-the-sunshine-state?mbid=social_facebook

Lyric from Don Henley's epic Eagles cut "The Last Resort.

https://g.co/kgs/VvbMqg

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

HRC's Municipal Equality Index for 2017 has been released and once again Orlando scored a perfect 100% - yay, us!

What's interesting is how many of our peer cities in the South that lean progressive (Tampa, Charlotte and Nashville, for example) still have a ways to go. We're living our Brand as a community!

http://www.hrc.org/resources/mei-2017-see-your-citys-score

• Like 2

I have to throw this in because it incorporates everything I believe about our city "Living the Brand." 

I've known and worked for the Stuarts off and on since 1985 but currently have no role other than as a contributor and volunteer to Robert's current reelection campaign. So please feel free to discount this if you must.

What's totally cool to me, though (and I had nothing to do with it)  is that Robert, who is about as establishment a character as one can be (10 years on the Council, Buddy's heir apparent, Exec. Director of the Christian Service Center, longtime member of College Park Baptist/Church On the Drive, College Park Little League, you get the picture), posted the above HRC  item on Facebook and made it abundantly clear how proud he is to have played a part in it.

Think about that: how many cities would have their button-downed leaders (especially second tier cities in the South, no less) would be so willing to embrace the diversity that is Orlando. I want to address more of that in the OC mayor race later, but for now let me say just how proud I am of Robert, of Orlando and of all of us. Why in the world would I want to live anywhere else?

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

LATimes is reporting Disney is in talks to buy 21st Century FOX film and TV production (not FOX News, FOX Sports or the FOX broadcast network.)

The only real affect on Orlando would be if it ties up corporate assets to make the acquisition possible. This as WDW has its biggest expansion yet underway.

It would also likely keep CEO Bob Iger busy while he's supposed to be looking for his replacement - he's already delayed his retirement more than once (otoh, it would be quite a legacy capper to go out with.) Stay tuned.

UPDATE: Interesting sidelights include bringing X-Men and Fantastic Four into Disney's Marvel stable (but would apparently not change the prohibition of most Marvel characters at WDW.) Also, Bloomberg reports talks are stalled but others say that is temporary. This may surpass the Sprint-T Mobile discussions for the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate award....

Edited by spenser1058

• 4 weeks later...

On another thread recently, it was suggested we should stop moaning and pay up for access to journalism. The case for that is somewhat weakened by stories like this in Orlando Weekly:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/12/04/floridas-first-puerto-rican-supermarket-chain-store-opens-in-kissimmee

It notes very prominently that it's the first Puerto Rican chain in Florida.

Only trouble is, it's not.

Xtra, which a quick Wiki search indicates was owned by Pueblo Supermarkets of San Juan, opened in Orlando in the mid to late 1980's. There was a store on Semoran near University. 

It's not terribly important, but if you want us to pay for information, it should be correct (I pay for both the Orlando Sentinel and the NY Times, btw, even though the quality of the Sentinel is a shadow of what it once was.)

In the Weekly's post, it's clear the "reporter" simply posted a piece from another publication without any fact-checking. Thankfully, the Weekly's a free alternative tabloid, because I'd be hard-pressed to pay for it. Sadly, the quality of OBJ's reporting isn't much better, even with a pay wall.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

On another thread recently, it was suggested we should stop moaning and pay up for access to journalism. The case for that is somewhat weakened by stories like this in Orlando Weekly:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/12/04/floridas-first-puerto-rican-supermarket-chain-store-opens-in-kissimmee

It notes very prominently that it's the first Puerto Rican chai in Florida.

Only trouble is, it's not.

Extra, which a quick Wiki search indicates was owned by Pueblo Supermarkets of San Juan, opened in Orlando in the mid to late 1980's. There was a store on Semoran near University. 

It's not terribly important, but if you want us to pay for information, it should be correct (I pay for both the Orlando Sentinel and the NY Times, btw, even though the quality of the Sentinel is a shadow of what it once was.)

In the Weekly's post, it's clear the "reporter" simply posted a piece from another publication without any fact-checking. Thankfully, the Weekly's a free alternative tabloid, because I'd be hard-pressed to pay for it. Sadly, the quality of OBJ's reporting isn't much better, even with a pay wall.

All websites should try to be accurate, whether they pay their bills by running ads or subscriptions, or both. I haven't found the accuracy to be radically different regardless of the payment method. I think ad blocking is a serious problem as its discouraging the freedom of information. I prefer to view ads and have free content... I guess I'm unusual though, I'm not a person who typically pays for any content consumption on my own devices (I watch youtube, etc and don't subscribe or watch netflix, cable, etc)... We used to have to pay for email storage, etc, but Google has shown us a better product can be fully funded by ads, and same for search as well, which seems far more complicated and costly, so I don't understand why journalism needs me to pay when Google search and Youtube don't. Well, I get the ad blockers make their business model unsustainable.

(1) I used to be a GrowthSpotter and OBJ subscriber til they stopped meeting my needs. (2) I'm still a Sentinel subscriber. (3) Unrelated to the content we discuss here, I'm considering subscribing to Women's Wear Daily because the stories are so rich about the retail business which I've always been a fan boy of. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Touropia.com has decided on the "15 Most Charming Small Towns In Florida," and Mount Dora, part of the Orlando MSA, comes in at #1 (just a quick shot up the Webster and US441.)

Oddly enough, Christmas also makes the list (between Beautiful Downtown Bithlo and Titusville on East FL 50.) Who knew?

http://www.touropia.com/small-towns-in-florida/

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting they list the Bob Carr Theater which is not a producing entity, and not mention Mad Cow which adds to the Equity week counts.  

Having AEA performers at Disney and other attractions around town help a lot (dinner theaters). The Shakes of course is our area's crown jewel of local theater. Lots of talent walking around finding side projects help a lot. Like the music scene in Orlando before Disney practically purged live music from the parks.

• Like 1

A pedestrian bridge at FIU in Miami crossing Tamiami Trail has collapsed with a number of deaths. The bridge, which featured a new technology known as an "instant bridge," was constructed by the folks who did the Sunshine Skyway across Tampa Bay. I'm wondering if this is a technology included in any of our local projects.

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/15/17126064/fiu-pedestrian-bridge-collapse-what-we-know

From Vox