the Press.

15 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Hard for the whipper snappers to remember when Church St was the thing, but I had many a good time there. Some I even remember.

I don't, however, remember top of the building that is now the entry to Ceviche being flat as this photo shows. In my minds eye it has always been arched as it is today.

K022059.jpg

I’ll defer to JFW on this - he is the grand high poobah of all things CSS.

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...

Orlando is one of the best places for those just entering the workforce, according to a new report.

The City Beautiful came in fourth out of 182 cities studied by WalletHub in its "2019 Best & Worst Places to Start a Career" list, down from No. 2 overall in 2018. Salt Lake City, Utah, was named the best city to start a career in the listing, while Shreveport, Louisiana, was named the worst.

Orlando was the lone Florida city to rank in the top 10. Tampa came in at 11.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/05/14/heres-how-orlando-ranks-among-top-places-in-the-u.html

• Like 2

"Twelve of the top 25 most popular spots to retire in the nation are in the Sunshine State, including three in Central Florida" -  "Lakeland-Winter Haven, Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach and Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville".

This part I see this as a positive even though I'm no spring chicken...

"the 25 least popular destinations in the country for retirees includes just one Florida location: metro Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, which was ranked No. 224 (or the 13th least popular) out of 236 major metros , with a net migration loss of 1,842 seniors."

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/05/22/3central-florida-locations-among-most-popular.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Please explain.

They had seemingly stopped with the Ace Reporter role - following leads on building permits, city council agendas and general development news.   Even the website essentially went away outside of events.   Just noticed on Facebook that there are a flurry of new posts 

• 4 weeks later...

From the Philadelphia Inquirer: Effects of gentrification on longtime residents are not as negative as typically perceived, Philly Fed says

Fed Reserve Bank of Philly Study: https://www.philadelphiafed.org/-/media/research-and-data/publications/working-papers/2019/wp19-30.pdf

"Gentrification was defined as an increase in college-educated individuals’ demand for housing in initially low-income, central city neighborhoods." So far, the Creative Village and surrounding redevelopments are only replacing vacant lots and commercial buildings so residents are not currently being displaced. However, it will be interesting to see the gradual effects of gentrification in Parramore.

About 10 years ago, I considered buying a cute Spanish/Mission revival home with a nice layout [GMap] in Parramore in anticipation of Creative Village coming to fruition, but in the end I just didn't have the stomach for it. Granted, the streets I considered already showed pride of ownership and were not located deep in the hood. That said, the neighbors were some of the nicest people ranging from all demographics: black, white, gay, straight, young, old, couples, singles, renters, owners/investors, newcomers & long term residents. I literally went door to door and interviewed people and police officers in the area lol. Ultimately, I ended up in the CBD and I don't regret my decision because I need to be in the heart of the city.

Just curious, how do we categorize places like Winter Park (proper) that were already expensive to begin with, but only continue to increase in price? I think the older I get, the more WP becomes more attractive to me, albeit it is still a bit too sanitized for my liking.

Advanced issues found

54 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

From the Philadelphia Inquirer: Effects of gentrification on longtime residents are not as negative as typically perceived, Philly Fed says

Fed Reserve Bank of Philly Study: https://www.philadelphiafed.org/-/media/research-and-data/publications/working-papers/2019/wp19-30.pdf

"Gentrification was defined as an increase in college-educated individuals’ demand for housing in initially low-income, central city neighborhoods." So far, the Creative Village and surrounding redevelopments are only replacing vacant lots and commercial buildings so residents are not currently being displaced. However, it will be interesting to see the gradual effects of gentrification in Parramore.

About 10 years ago, I considered buying a cute Spanish/Mission revival home with a nice layout [GMap] in Parramore in anticipation of Creative Village coming to fruition, but in the end I just didn't have the stomach for it. Granted, the streets I considered already showed pride of ownership and were not located deep in the hood. That said, the neighbors were some of the nicest people ranging from all demographics: black, white, gay, straight, young, old, couples, singles, renters, owners/investors, newcomers & long term residents. I literally went door to door and interviewed people and police officers in the area lol. Ultimately, I ended up in the CBD and I don't regret my decision because I need to be in the heart of the city.

Just curious, how do we categorize places like Winter Park (proper) that were already expensive to begin with, but only continue to increase in price? I think the older I get, the more WP becomes more attractive to me, albeit it is still a bit too sanitized for my liking.

I think that Creative Village will bring gentrification to the neighborhood. So far, its just been a construction site, but in no time, people using the new buildings will start looking for housing in the area. 

With their relative disconnect from the rest of Parramore (now increased by the construction of ACE school) and close-in location to the UCF campus, I think Concord and Arlington will be the first streets to see significant change. In the last few weeks there was a 2br house with no garage for rent on Arlington for $1500, on par with similar houses in areas of College Park and the Hourglass.   

Seven years ago, I moved to a duplex in Eola Heights that, while safe and clean (and well-located) the home has nothing remarkable about it and no amenities. I paid $750/mo when I moved in, and rent is now $1250. I am sure that'll go up $200-500 for the next tenant seeing comps in the area.  I think the overall state of the market will hit Paramore especially hard. As gentrification happens and spreads, prices will rise astronomically. 

Here's a great article taking a deeper dive into the type of middle-income displacement you're asking for a label for (they're also saying there's no appropriate word)  It's inspired me to adopt their turn of phrase "the bourgeoisie are coming!"

https://slate.com/business/2019/05/gentrification-rich-middle-class-define.html

• 3 weeks later...

A proposed merger between Gannett (Florida Today) and GateHouse Media Daytona N-J) would significantly change press coverage in Florida.

Already, corporate mergers have shrunk local coverage at papers. You may have noticed a lot of Fort Lauderdale stories in the Sentinel although for the most part I don’t give a fig about Fort Lauderdale.

More importantly, it will reduce coverage of what goes on at city halls and in Tallahassee.

More than ever, we need folks watching what’s going on and instead we have less and less. This isn’t good.

https://www.floridaphoenix.com/2019/08/05/your-florida-news-landscape-might-be-about-to-change-a-lot/

From the Florida Phoenix 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 12:55 PM, spenser1058 said:

Throwback Saturday - “Eyewitness News Is Everywhere” with great shots of Central Florida in the mid-‘80s:

From WFTV 

Probably my favorite of these news promos was Nashville’s. The initial song was actually syndicated to dozens of stations (even in Australia!) but WSMV did several versions with varying lyrics and the Nashville Symphony even did an orchestral arrangement with singer Florence Warner at one of their concerts. This one is from ‘86:

All you tall fans will love this part of the lyrics, “Working side by side, we share the growing pride each time we touch the sky”  as a construction crew works on a skyscraper.

Edited by spenser1058

• 4 weeks later...

One of Central Florida’s longest tenured anchors, Martie Salt of WFTV, is retiring in December.

One of the great hires from the Golden Age of local news (her back and forth with Danny Treanor at noon was priceless) brought together by Bob Jordan, Martie will be missed.

Here’s to a great retirement!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv-guy/os-et-wftv-martie-salt-to-retire-in-december-20191002-nuuu33jp5neird4mvcbswb3yyu-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Major props to the Sentinel, which is starting an in-depth look at how our economy, While successful, isn’t working for a large chunk of our citizens. This is what great newspapers are supposed to do and if our corporate-run broadsheet is going to start doing that again, may God bless them.

American journalism at its best should “afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted”. The internet and corporate takeovers have almost killed that function, but they finally figured out there’s a good market for getting back to their roots.

• Like 2