the Press.

43 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

We were helping a friend's daughter get her first place and it's seriously depressing to see how difficult that is.  It's insane how much they want for a dumpy, tiny place.

What areas are you looking in and what resources are you using? Have you tried hotpads? For years craigslist used to be a good source for listings posted by independent landlords. Believe it or not I've always found the best tenants on CL for the past 10 years, but it's become overrun with scammers ripping legit ads as their own so I'm sure renters are staying away out of caution. If you're on NextDoor, that might be a good place to start. A lady on there recently posted an updated 1/1 apartment in Delaney Park for under 1k. I'm sure it's rented by now, but that was a craigslist-worthy deal that I haven't seen in a long while.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

What areas are you looking in and what resources are you using? Have you tried hotpads? For years craigslist used to be a good source for listings posted by independent landlords. Believe it or not I've always found the best tenants on CL for the past 10 years, but it's become overrun with scammers ripping legit ads as their own so I'm sure renters are staying away out of caution. If you're on NextDoor, that might be a good place to start. A lady on there recently posted an updated 1/1 apartment in Delaney Park for under 1k. I'm sure it's rented by now, but that was a craigslist-worthy deal that I haven't seen in a long while.

We were looking all over.  She works in the restaurant row area, but our search went from WG to LBV and from MW to Conway.

We found her a temporary place in a friend's Mother-in-law cottage, but they are looking to use that longterm as an AirBnB.  She has at least 6 months, though, and will have some rent savings if she helps them do a few of things they want done before renting it.  I've encouraged her to learn to be as handy as possible and save as much money as possible.

• 5 weeks later...

In his annual “disclosures” column, Scott Maxwell notes two concerns I’ve had: first, was the $2.3 billion I4 Ultimate project the most efficient way to expand I4 (I don’t think so) and is $500 million to expand OCCC for the SEVENTH TIME the best use of those funds?

Of course, that leads to the bigger question: if it wasn’t the  best way to go in each case, exactly who profited and why? It certainly wasn’t the citizenry.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-2020-annual-disclosure-beliefs-scott-maxwell-20200103-4v5rayr6vjhjlcp764ebn3wk5u-story.html

From the Sentinel 

• 2 weeks later...

Uh-oh. Just when the Sentinel had started committing journalism again, Scott Maxwell reports yet another private equity fund is messing with Tribune and buyouts are on the table again.

Someday I’ll run into a pef that improves the business it takes over but so far the ones I’ve seen are just a glide path to bankruptcy for the firm while the Wall Streeters walk away with a fortune.

It’s why I’ve always preferred family-controlled companies to buy from but every day they become more and more scarce.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-tribune-buyouts-why-im-still-here-scott-maxwell-20200117-g4g2irkopnbjfj3jzvy4nzg2iq-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Uh-oh. Just when the Sentinel had started committing journalism again, Scott Maxwell reports yet another private equity fund is messing with Tribune and buyouts are on the table again.

Someday I’ll run into a pef that improves the business it takes over but so far the ones I’ve seen are just a glide path to bankruptcy for the firm while the Wall Streeters walk away with a fortune.

It’s why I’ve always preferred family-controlled companies to buy from but every day they become more and more scarce.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-tribune-buyouts-why-im-still-here-scott-maxwell-20200117-g4g2irkopnbjfj3jzvy4nzg2iq-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Well, dollar general BJ's and Burlington seem just fine. Restoration Hardware is another. 

PE is only in the news when the companies fail and someone is looking for a scapegoat. It is never reported outside of the financial industry of their successes. Besides, most of those companies would have failed anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Add another to the list of latest Sentinel buyouts and this one’s gonna hurt: Lauren Ritchie.

She’s been at the paper going back to the ‘80’s and for the last decade or so she’s been holding the feet of Lake County politicians to the fire.

Here’s hoping Lauren has a great retirement and I hope she decides to blog - Orlando is more corrupt than ever and we need her on the beat.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-op-lauren-ritchie-final-column-20200131-qw6tx5ugq5gr3dkdcvlhzfyrb4-story.html

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 6:25 PM, spenser1058 said:

Add another to the list of latest Sentinel buyouts and this one’s gonna hurt: Lauren Ritchie.

She’s been at the paper going back to the ‘80’s and for the last decade or so she’s been holding the feet of Lake County politicians to the fire.

Here’s hoping Lauren has a great retirement and I hope she decides to blog - Orlando is more corrupt than ever and we need her on the beat.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-op-lauren-ritchie-final-column-20200131-qw6tx5ugq5gr3dkdcvlhzfyrb4-story.html

Orlando the city or central Florida in general is corrupt? 

3 minutes ago, jack said:

Orlando the city or central Florida in general is corrupt? 

As we have seen with GOAA, the Turnpike Authority, the Expressway Authority , misuse of dedicated funds in Tallahassee and a host of other problems, it’s pretty much statewide at this point but we are certainly not immune.

• 1 month later...

On 3/18/2020 at 9:38 PM, spenser1058 said:

Surprised the Sentinel hasn’t announced layoffs. I’d hate for people to lose their jobs but the Sentinel is an awful newspaper. Wish they’d find a way to consolidate with the Times and become Central Florida News or something.

Just now, Uncommon said:

Surprised the Sentinel hasn’t announced layoffs. I’d hate for people to lose their jobs but the Sentinel is an awful newspaper. Wish they’d find a way to consolidate with the Times and become Central Florida News or something.

They have been doing buyouts for quite a while now and the reporters are unionizing.

On Twitter, some of the most recognizable reporters and columnists are begging folks to subscribe (the deal is 1c per day for six months).

Which, btw, is hugely important, because we need a powerful watchdog to keep both local governments and business focused on the best interests of citizens.

If it fits in your budget, subscribing to the local paper is important for the whole community. I do.

• Like 1

COVID-19 drive-thru testing site is open to people 65 years of age or older with respiratory symptoms and an on-site temperature of 99.6 or higher. Testing is also open to medical staff and first responders with a valid agency ID: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/26/testing-lane-added-to-covid-19-drive-thru-site-at-orlando-convention-center/

Addtl testing info from Orange County: http://www.ocfl.net/EmergencySafety/Coronavirus.aspx#.Xn5sqW5Fw2w

The Tampa Bay Times is going to a two-day per week dead tree schedule (Wednesday and Sunday).

This is huge because the Times, in the epicenter of retirement country, has been even more print-centric than most news organizations.

It’s often said that changes companies needed to do long ago but kept putting off because “we’ve always done it this way” finally get done when times are tough. 

It will be interesting to see how many newspapers (see, even the nomenclature is out of date) phase out all or part of their traditional product as the emergency subsides.

https://www.poynter.org/business-work/2020/a-qa-with-tampa-bay-times-chairman-and-ceo-paul-tash-about-the-times-print-reduction/

From the Poynter Institute (which owns the Times)

• 1 month later...

It’s behind a paywall so I don’t have a link, but for those who are convinced Mayor Buddy is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, practically perfect in every way and, golly gee, just the second coming of George Washington, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln all rolled into one, you might wanna trade today’s latte for a copy of Florida Trend, where Hizzoner (who has appeared in heels but thankfully not shirtless yet) is the cover story of the May edition.

All Hail The Most Perfect Mayor In the History of Mayordom!

Edited by spenser1058

Bad news from Jacksonville- it’s losing its alt-weekly, Folio:

Here’s hoping our own Orlando Weekly soldiers on along with neighborhood broadsheet The West Orange Observer.

Of course, Tribune’s Sentinel is hanging on by a thread. It sure ain’t perfect, but if it folds, who will keep tabs on The shenanigans of local government (not to mention Tally)? God help us when the Sentinel starts regurgitating press releases like OBJ.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Bad news from Jacksonville- it’s losing its alt-weekly, Folio:

Here’s hoping our own Orlando Weekly soldiers on along with neighborhood broadsheet The West Orange Observer.

Of course, Tribune’s Sentinel is hanging on by a thread. It sure ain’t perfect, but if it folds, who will keep tabs on The shenanigans of local government (not to mention Tally)? God help us when the Sentinel starts regurgitating press releases like OBJ.

If you're so inclined, you can join the Orlando Weekly Press Club to support the paper financially. I have joined at the same level that I pay for my Sentinel and NYT subscriptions. Learn more about the club at orlandoweekly.com/supportlocaljournalism 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

With everything going on in Atlanta, I got a chance to remember what a great paper the Journal-Constitution is. Amazingly, that’s still true despite the decimation of newspapers during the last few decades since I left Atlanta.

Of course, it helps that it’s a flagship paper not owned by a chain. The only thing I hate is that they apparently moved the newsroom out to the Perimeter. If that’s the only way to afford an effective staff of reporters and editors, so be it.

Given all the misinformation online during the tragic events this last week, I wonder who regards the online model we’ve ended up with as an improvement.

• Like 1

One of my favorite Orlando business journalists over the past decade was Paul Brinkmann. He did some of the best writing at the Sentinel and then left (to free-lance?) over at the Weekly and then to find him I had to google.

Anyway, at the moment he seems to be all-in on space coverage. I’m a big NASA fan but he’s hitting overkill that would make Pat Duggins blush. C’mon, Paul, throw us a bone over here in Orlando- we miss ya, buddy!

https://muckrack.com/paulbrinkmann/articles

Meanwhile, Brendan over at Bungalower has stepped up his game and is posting all sorts of gems lately Great job!

The Sentinel, after the last round of layoffs, seems to have forgotten it has a business page. Either that or they’re sending everything over to Growth Spotter. Hey Tribune! I’m already paying more for the Sentinel than I do for the New York freaking Times and you want me to pay AGAIN for business news? I don’t think so. C’mon guys.

Apparently, Mark over at Daily City is taking an extended nap.

Finally, Ken Storey, who does some often great work on the tourism business in Orlando Weekly, went on a full broadside  about how much he didn’t like Orlando on Twitter a few weeks back. The attitude would have made @I am Reality proud.

Fair enough, Orlando’s hardly the only place in the country to call home (I think maybe he’s been working on his latest degree in DC too long and picked up the NYC/DC/LA attitude, but that’s just me).

However, with that sort of bias, why would I value what he writes about us as correct? More’s the pity because, although he sometimes takes leaps that don’t pan out, they were at leased educated hunches.

And that’s the Orlando press this week imho...

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 months later...

So, let’s review. Out of the blue, the Sentinel sent an email informing me they were increasing my subscription cost to almost $28/4 weeks, effective immediately. Epic Fail.

Today, I get an email out of the blue from the Washington Post reminding me my subscription ($99/year) will renew in September but that if I renew by August 23, they’ll only charge me $59 and still won’t process the charge until September on my renewal date.

Jeff Bezos is my hero - Tribune Publishing may take a long walk off Daytona’s shortened pier.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Maxwell tells of packing up and leaving the Sentinel newsroom for the last time as it closes after holding forth as the entrance to downtown since 1951.

I wonder if they get to take the clock with them?

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-orlando-sentinel-newsroom-closing-scott-maxwell-20200828-tif2h5xobvamloipogqaspagdi-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Also note that the problem with being profitable has more to do with the PEFs bleeding newspapers dry than a lack of interest in the product.

• 2 months later...