the Press.

Possible reprieve for The Sentinel from the evil clutches of a hedge fund infamous for destroying local newspapers. A Maryland hotel magnate is seeking to derail the hedge fund purchase of Tribune Publishing, who has owned the Sentinel since 1976.

If the Maryland bid is successful, they would likely seek local ownership for the Orlando paper, which would likely be the best possible result for us (just imagine John Morgan publishing the Sentinel <g>).

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/14/business/tribune-hedge-fund-alden-newspapers-sale.html?referringSource=articleShare

From The New York Times 
  • Like 3

Even though it’s a part of a different evil cabal, I’m finding the Times-Union has a lot more actual news these days than the Sentinel (and a lot of what there is has to do with FLL, because Orlando and Lauderdale have so much in common said no one, ever). As a result, I’m content.

If the Sentinel does end up with local owners (a long shot, but it could happen), they could still save the old newsroom. Here’s hoping.

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying to get more info, but Mason Slaine, who once apparently was a part of the Reuters/Thomson news service and now seems to live in Boca shepherding another firm, is apparently adding $100 million to the attempt to keep Tribune out of the hands of a hedge fund infamous for decimating newspapers.

If successful, he would take control of Trib’s two Florida papers, the Orlando Sentinel and FLL Sun-Sentinel.

More to come but here’s a wiki bio:

http://www.marketswiki.com/wiki/Mason_Slaine

Would  I prefer someone with closer ties to Orlando? Absolutely. Beggars, however, cannot be choosers, and as the DeVos clan has amply demonstrated, an association with the city doesn’t necessarily indicate an interest in what’s best for the community.

Edited by spenser1058

Add Craig Mateer, former owner of Bags and who is buying up property on Church Street, to those interested. He seems open to going in with Slaine or others or taking just the Sentinel as a spin-off.

Given that at one point the Sentinel was the most profitable in the chain, it’s interesting to ponder if his pockets will be deep enough to go it on his own. Nevertheless, he has the local roots we’d like to see and his dad even worked for the paper at one point. Might he even value preserving the newsroom? Be still, my heart!

Stay tuned.

Two Florida businessmen interested in buying Orlando Sentinel to prevent sale to Alden hedge fund
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-orlando-sentinel-bid-mason-slaine-craig-mateer-20210329-m6fgjhuk7zbuhalqff4bg7iq5y-story.html

From The Sentinel 

OBJ hasn’t gone so ‘round the bend with a dubious story since the infamous “7-star resort” on I-Drive.

The tabloid started off by telling us Disney was relocating scads of jobs from California (pure red meat for our local GQP’ers).

When they couldn’t beat that dead horse any longer, they low-keyed it briefly.

Now, they’ve decided Disney is gonna plop the next Celebration, Golden Oak or Flamingo Crossing down in the middle of Tavistock’s Nona. Forget about the fact the previous three projects were ON DISNEY PROPERTY and the fact the company abandoned off property development a couple of decades ago after they realized there was more bang for their buck at home in LBV than in Hilton Head, Times Square or Mickey taking on Pedro South of the Border (Aulani being the exception that proves the rule).

Oh well, hopefully Mr. Mateer will end up with the Sentinel and Orlando will finally commit journalism again.

• 1 month later...

This is an article from strong towns that highlights how car reliant Orlando and Orange county are, And what might change. The article is short, with an additional interview. 

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2021/5/19/a-new-direction-for-car-dependent-orlando?fbclid=IwAR0vS8_oQgCTTL47etnPZzGLw-BsE0zeJviD3skgu6hZ3HS3uIso9GkHTsc

• Like 2

8 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I mean I get the viewpoint as someone who is that rich but boy we have a lot of work to do on our general rep.

https://twitter.com/uninterrupted/status/1398454522398220289

Context. He was largely talking about Disneyworld and the bubble. Still, I agree that Orlando’s perception needs to be better but realistically, there’s no reason for celebrities and the mega-rich to find Orlando desirable.

13 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Context. He was largely talking about Disneyworld and the bubble. Still, I agree that Orlando’s perception needs to be better but realistically, there’s no reason for celebrities and the mega-rich to find Orlando desirable.

It goes in waves. After all, who ever heard of Arnold Palmer? Various golfers over the years including Tiger. Lee Corso, former Notre Dame coach and promotional speaker Lou Holtz, Jeno Paulucci (the pizza roll and Chun King magnate), NYTimes best-selling author Steve Berry just moved to town. John Travolta used to party over here while he was living at the Spruce Creek fly-in. For what it’s worth, we were the boy band capital of the world before Lou Pearlman crashed and burned. Those are just the ones who pop into my head. Of course, Shaq has been in and out. For just plain money, the owner of Westgate Resorts (who’s also a player in Vegas).

Frankly, if the alternative is The Donald, Rush Limbaugh before he died and the publisher of the Enquirer, I won’t complain.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If you’ve always been fond of mainstream journalism (despite its many foibles) like I have, this may make you just a tad misty-eyed.

The West Orange Times and Observer is going from tabloid size to broadsheet when so many papers across the country (including our own Orlando Sentinel) have been going the other way.

Even better is the fact is that West Orange is like my second hometown. In fact, the old Winter Garden Times, the forerunner of today’s WOT, was a broadsheet when I visited my grandparents as a kid (I was also a frequent flyer in the summer at the pool by Lake Apopka).

Winter Garden’s a town that’s been doing just about right for the last couple of decades and now its hometown paper is growing with it. I like that.

Now, if we could just get a Publix close to Plant St…

Edited by spenser1058

WJCT, Jacksonville’s public station, has been amazing when it comes to ways to provide coverage of local news as first the commercial TV and radio stations and then even the daily newspaper of record switched to “if it bleeds it leads” in search of profits.

They’ve supported The Jaxson, an in-depth look at local growth that grew out of a UP-like discussion board.

Now they’re taking the next step with Jacksonville Today, a newsletter that will cover more of the local daily news.

It’s vital that someone take up the diminishing news hole left by the cuts in the local commercial press and it’s great to see a public outfit pick up the mantle.

Hopefully, WMFE and WUCF will do more of the same thing going forward here in central Florida.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/introducing-wjct-public-medias-jacksonville-today

From The Jaxson 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m very pleased to report that, so far, the Sentinel has resisted the urge to post Dr. Ponte’s latest fluff piece. Could it be we have one reliable media source in town? Subscribe today - there the only ones reporting on the white collar evildoers in town. Excellent UCF coverage, too!

• 1 month later...

All of you Sentinel fans out there (and. I know you are legion :), you’ll be pleased to know the Florida Society of News Editors has awarded 1st place for best columnist in the state to Mike Bianchi. Coming in right behind was Scott Maxwell.

They’re among the top reasons I subscribe to the Sentinel, so I’m definitely in agreement with the choices.

Charge On!

On 8/4/2022 at 7:58 PM, spenser1058 said:

All of you Sentinel fans out there (and. I know you are legion :), you’ll be pleased to know the Florida Society of News Editors has awarded 1st place for best columnist in the state to Mike Bianchi. Coming in right behind was Scott Maxwell.

They’re among the top reasons I subscribe to the Sentinel, so I’m definitely in agreement with the choices.

Charge On!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@jrs2, did you see WESH bumped the Coke Zero 400 for Tom Brady? The race got pushed over to their CW affiliate.

If you haven’t been here a long time, you may not know that, unlike WFTV and WKMG, WESH wasn’t just an Orlando station like the others whose signal happened to go beyond OC.

Nope, Channel 2’s license was a dual, which meant they served both Daytona Beach and Orlando (which was the way the station identification was always done). In fact, the larger station was in DB, not the little dump in WP.

The only reason any of that is significant is because it seems sad that the “official” Daytona station is tossing the season-ending local race to the curb for Tom Brady, who really wants to be in Miami anyway.

And so it goes…

Edited by spenser1058

• 1 month later...

Brendan O’Connor at UP Orlando favorite The Bungalower is noted by Scott Maxwell at The Sentinel as one of 10 People Who Make Orlando Better more :

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-10-people-who-make-orlando-better-2022-scott-maxwell-20221014-g7yiao2a65c3tmlui3luq4rw2u-story.html

• 2 months later...

Florida is atop the list of fastest growing states, but many find they don’t love it when they get here:

‘In May, CBS News called Florida the "least affordable" state in the country, and a 2019 Joblist study that compared wages to cost of living ranked Florida last out of all 50 states in terms of affordability. While Florida doesn't have an income tax, many new homebuyers will face rising property tax bills.’

https://apple.news/AhsjtYISfQhS0jVh0z1-nrw

From Business Insider