Atlanta Off-Topic

Spartan

By request....

This is a thread where we can discuss anything concerning Atlanta or its many suburbs that would not warrant a thread of its own, or something that would not otherwise be posted on this site. Please feel free to contribute as much as you like. My only request is that you don't post entire articles in this thread.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for creating this thread, Spartan.

I'd like to mention that Atlanta has had yet another jumper appear. This time the new jumper was on top of a crane in Buckhead. He may still be up there. I heard at around 8:00 PM that he had been up there for 3 hours. The threat was so great that they had to shut down Peachtree Road in the area.

He must have been pretty determined to make a scene if he had found a way to make it to the top of a crane.

That man is working on his third day on that crane.

Woder how much the businesses have suffered in the area?

I heard one shop owner say that he had set up a telescope for passersby to look at the man.

Anyways...What's everyone in this forum doing for summer?

I'm going to Canton for the Football HofFame, then Cleveland, and finally Chicago.

This is after taking a trip to SanAntonio with my church choir to sing at a church in a national gathering of church choirs. Over 300 people will attend this!

Ha! My husband kept saying they should just use tasers and get it over with. He was very proud of himself when they finally did. Silly.

I heard some news today that has me quite excited... The Barneys people were recently at Lenox apparently figure out logistics of opening a flagship. I'm hoping for a Charlotte store since I live here right now, but if Atlanta is the best I can get, I'll take it.

Also- the AJC has run a series of articles the last few weeks about the Dekalb County Police Chief reopening a few cases from the Atlanta Child Murders. There are two new ones today about evidence and an interview with former Dekalb Co. Sheriff Sidney Dorsey.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please explain how the Fulton County Sheriff got elected?

During the whole courthouse shooting episode, he seemed very unprofessional....didn't know what was going on, etc. There was something very strange about his demeanor.

Was it just nervousness because he was on the job for just a few months? Or is he incomptent?

(BTW, for a county as large as Fulton, the Sheriff's website sure does look small-town/amatuerish)

Just figured I'd let everyaone know, I'm going to San Antonio today (Wednesday) I'll be leaving around 3:30PM. I'll be taking a bus there (it is a church choir trip...we're going to sing there). I'll be gone until Sunday, but I probably won't post again until Monday.

Yes, I'll bring some pictures back.

-----------------------------------------------

On the Downtown Midtown Border: I usually consider it to start along North Ave at Ga. Tech's Campus' lower border...so that would make the BofA Building in Downtown.

-----------------

One last thing:

What do you guys think of my new sig with the Atlanta quote?

The reason I asked about the Midtown/Downtown thing is because I read an article online about a developer planning to build massive office space in a suburban office park. I do believe it was Perimeter (is that where those two look alike buildings are with the slightly different crowns, the "male" and "female" crowns?). Anyway, the article said the office to be added was SEVEN times the amount of Class A office space in "midtown." After all the construction going on in Atlanta, I was a bit shocked by that.

That would be enough to office supply for the whole metro for at least a decade. In a single development? You sure you read that right?

In other news

99X's free Summer concert series is moving to Underground, Saturdays 7-11pm.

Actually its reappearing after not having it for a couple years. It was staged at Centennial Park before that.

Here's the schedule so far

July 9th Cake - Stereophonics - The Caesars

July 16th Weezer - The Bravery - The Dead 60's

July 23rd TBD

July 30th Ben Folds

August 6th Chevelle - Seether - Crossfade

August 13th Garbage

Oh, well emporis said it was i Midtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's how the city and the various neighborhood associations define Midtown.

In other news, the metro Atlanta area is getting its 3rd Sephora cosmetics boutique. It will be located at First Town in Alpharetta and opens this week. This interesting news since Sephora only opens stores in areas with a very high incomes (Based on Zip Code). Hard to believe how Alpharetta has changed.

Oh, Taubman Properties (which owns North Point mall) recently agreed to buy Perimeter Mall. They're looking to use the presence of stores like Bloomingdale's to increase the amount of luxury goods stores in the mall.

I was thinking about creating a thread with a summary of Atlanta's history from it's earliest days.

What do you guys think?

Also, what if I could put something together like this this P&C Index Thread that Aessotariq did in the Miami forum.

What would you think of that?

----------------------

In other news:

This is my 1000th post!!! :D:):w00t::alc:

Archived