Atlanta Off-Topic

Spartan

I tried to find something but couldn't - sorry. I first found out about North Atlanta when I worked at the Brookhaven Library, that had some of the materials about the town. All I can remember is that east of the Brookhaven Country Club around Oglethorpe, North Atlanta was incorporated for a short period of time. Since they never provided any services or didn't receive any support - the town was disbanded. Which is why the CDP shows 'North Atlanta' where it is.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most interesting, Brad, thanks. I work with a guy who grew up in Brookhaven and went to Cross Keys, and he said he didn't know about it either. I know the streetcar used to run out to Oglethorpe, and I have a vague recollection of a little row of shops somewhere along there which I believe succumbed to MARTA and the widening of Peachtree Road. I've seen North Atlanta on maps (usually where Peachtree Golf Club is) but never realized it had ever actually been incorporated.

The old town center is a block south of Blackburn Park. There's not much left but you can still get a feel for a small town in the way that the streets come together.

On Johnson Ferry or Ashford Dunwoody? I know that area fairly well but all I can think of south of Donaldson is the golf course and a bunch of subdivisions. The old shops I was thinking of were a little further south on Peachtree, where Clyatt's Pharmacy used to be.

It's where the two come together. Johnson Ferry (ferry across the Chattahoochee) is one of the oldest roads in that area of the metro.

Andrea, you may remember this; even a few decades ago the Ferries, Bridges & Mills held more prominence in metro Atlanta lore (in name only). What I mean to say is that these roads were the major roads. As Atlanta has grown and added roads they have lessened in significance. Roads like Moores Mill Road, Paces Ferry Road & Holcomb Bridge Road gave the metro area an almost frontier ring. We didn't keep any of that charm as we grew. I'm not saying that we need to go back and recreate it. Atlanta is a teenager. It will take us a long time to figure out what we want to be when we grow up. I say let's enjoy our youth but lets not completely forget our childhood.

This is waaay off topic but I was just looking at Emporis and out of curiousity took a look at Miami. Just to put its current boom in perspective, if everything thats proposed, approved and under construction gets built, Miami's current tallest buidling would become the 8th tallest and Miami's current 2nd tallest building would become its 28th tallest and the 3rd tallest would be 56th. :shok:

I myself could really care less about any sort of competition between the two. It's great to hear about the boom going on down there. It will be something to see in a few years. :shades: Now if only I could actually make my way down there.

Some people in Atlanta might be jealous of this, but I'm proud of our Cuban half-sister to the south. She's doing a great job, as Atlanta is too.

Are we talking about Havanna here? ;)

Miami's got a great skyline. Some people in Atlanta might be jealous of this, but I'm proud of our Cuban half-sister to the south. She's doing a great job, as Atlanta is too.

Let's just try to get rid of the crime down there and try to stop building in the Everglades.

^ Trying to remember some biblical passage - but it's something like "don't judge unless you can't be judged" (sorry, don't know much about the bible)

But Atlanta's crime is usually ranked nationally every year since crime records have been ranked. Additionally - Atlanta's exurban sprawl is the worst in the nation (& possibly the world) which continues to endanger our drinking water & has contributed to one of the most polluted cities outside of California.

^

But Atlanta's crime is usually ranked nationally every year since crime records have been ranked. Additionally - Atlanta's exurban sprawl is the worst in the nation (& possibly the world) which continues to endanger our drinking water & has contributed to one of the most polluted cities outside of California.

Ok, I don't know a lot about water quality and conservation, but let's say the city of Atlanta had more people than the metro area. Now wouldn't there still be a strain or greater depletion of Atlanta's water resources?

HAMMETTM - yes & no.

Atlanta's metro area actually includes several river basins - besides the Chattahoochee. But due to the decentralization, more water is needed in order to reach everyone. Also, with all the jurisdictions handling their own water / sewer resources, there is little central management. Thus our water resources are being served inefficiently.

^ Trying to remember some biblical passage - but it's something like "don't judge unless you can't be judged" (sorry, don't know much about the bible)

Not to mention the fact that our air just seems to stagnate so much around here, which plays a big part in the smog problem.

True, but the air quality here is getting better. We're getting lower on the list when it comes to Metro area's with worst air quality.

http://www.epa.gov/region4/oeapages/05press/061605.htm

We still have a long way to go, but it's great to see that even with our metro area constantly growing, we're improving our air quality.

I would say Cabbagetown is a trendy neighborhood now. There is still a large mix of older residents, but based on home prices & retail activity on Carroll St - there is a lot of demand. (wish I made the move to buy 3 blocks over out of Grant Park & into Cabbagetown instead)

I've also posted this picture (from my cell phone) at the photo thread:

01_31_06_1330.jpg

But her funeral will likely be the largest event in Atlanta in quite a while. Besides mayors or governors funerals, Coretta Scott King is a much more national & international symbol for civil rights. The only other Atlanta resident I would think of having a larger footprint that is alive would be Jimmy Carter.

I don't have any thing profound to say, in case you're wondering what my point is...

Here's a bit of depressing news:

Mexico closes clinic where Coretta Scott King died

TIJUANA, Mexico -- Mexico has closed the clinic where Coretta Scott King died because it was carrying out unproven treatments and unauthorized surgeries, according to state officials.

I'm not necessarily saying that she might have lived if she had gone to, say, Emory (she might could have, though), but I wonder if this played any part in her death?

"Judge not, that ye be not judged" (Matthew 7:1). :thumbsup:

Is the Bible copyrighted? I'm not trying to get suspended over quoting Scripture.

^ I'm telling! ;)

Thanks - would you believe I even had a Bible class in PUBLIC elementary school in Rock Hill & I still can't remember anything?

Newnan - she doesn't live in GP, I believe she owns a condo on Ralph McGill near the Carter Library (looking for a new husband maybe...) :)

I used to work at Ria's Bluebird and she would come in there on Sundays. I always loved that she would do the Hollywood sunglasses & cap thing, as if no one would recognize her outside of her Barberella outfit if she was wearing a baseball cap.

But yes, she lives or lived? off of Ralph McGill & Freedom.

Archived