Atlanta Off-Topic

Spartan

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does that already exist? It looks great.

The way I see it, Atlanta shouldn't just have condos. Cities like New York and condos, apartments, brownstones, lofts and everything in between. And they're not all ridiculously expensive like the condos going up now. Come on, let's get with it!

Does that already exist? It looks great.

The way I see it, Atlanta shouldn't just have condos. Cities like New York and condos, apartments, brownstones, lofts and everything in between. And they're not all ridiculously expensive like the condos going up now. Come on, let's get with it!

The original structure - not the bad 80's renovation - was built 100 years ago. The developer at the time felt there weren't enough townhomes in the city so he built some 'Baltimore' townhomes.

Sadly, most major southern cities have lost population as well. Both northern and southern regions were because of race. The difference is the northerners don't admit to it. At least we were honest about it. Northerners were hypocritical backdoor racists. New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Mobile, Birmingham, Montgomery, Jackson, Memphis, Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Macon, Richmond, Louisville, and Norfolk all lost large amounts of people. Some started sooner than others. New York didn't start loosing until the 60's or 70's believe it or not. It gained in the 80's. Also keep in mind that the reason most of NC's cities have gained large numbers is because of annexation. I've seen statistics that show that if they couldn't annex, they would be much slower and may even stagnate and decline in some cases. Atlanta is really fortunate that it didn't loose more than it did for much longer, like Chicago, St. Louis, Buffalo or Cleveland. Poor Cleveland has lost half it's population since the 40's. Poor St. Louis has lost 60 or 70% of it's high population. It went from more than 800,000 to 350,000 or so. That is mind boggling. :wacko:

Secondly, what do you all think Atlanta will do with Fort McPherson? I think it is a shame that it will be closed. Guess the DOD doesn't care much about historic value.

New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Mobile, Birmingham, Montgomery, Jackson, Memphis, Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Macon, Richmond, Louisville, and Norfolk all lost large amounts of people. Some started sooner than others. New York didn't start loosing until the 60's or 70's believe it or not. It gained in the 80's. Also keep in mind that the reason most of NC's cities have gained large numbers is because of annexation.

Memphis has only lost population in one decade last century, and that's been more than gained back. Though, like the NC cities, much of that may be due to annexation.

I don't mean for this to become a political hotbed or anything, but I figure it deserved mentioning that the President came to town today.

Bush Visits Atlanta (Written before he arrived)

Bush Visits Atlanta (After the visit)

Surprisingly, when seaqrching Atlanta news on Google based on relevance, the latest scores of the Thrashers and Braves topped this. Surely a visit from the leader of your nation tops this? ;)

Does anyone realize (and I'm sure that, being Atlanta residents, you do) that tomorrow (which is practically just a few minutes away) marks one year since the Brian Nichols incident started?

COURTHOUSE SHOOTINGS ONE YEAR LATER- Memorial service honors courthouse victims

One day short of a year after Fulton County Superior Court Judge Rowland Barnes, court reporter Julie Ann Brandau and sheriff's Deputy Sgt. Hoyt Teasley were killed in the March 11 shooting spree at the Fulton County Courthouse, the county held a memorial service.

The emotional scars, the sense of loss, the questions linger for many traumatized by the deadly turn of events at the Fulton County Courthouse a year ago. On the eve of the March 11 anniversary of the shootings, those closest to the tragedy reflect

Portraits of the three victims were unveiled during the ceremony, which lasted about 50 minutes and was held in the auditorium where the County Commission meets. Nearly 300 people attended.

A sad occasion indeed.

And now for something completely different...

My 100th post! :yahoo:

I know compared to some of you, this is not a big achievement. But hey, I thought I'd crow about it.

Post counts don't really matter. It's all about how much time you've got and how much time you decide to spend here.

Great job! I hope you are around for several hundred more posts! :yahoo:

For those of you who love Trader Joe's, here is an article about the store in the paper. Personally give me a Costco, Whole Foods and Publix/Kroger (for my odds and ends) but there is a big following of the store so I'll post the article.

Read the article here:

Trader Joe's

That will serve Trader Joe's well when it enters Atlanta. The metro area already is loaded with upscale grocery stores -Whole Foods, the Fresh Market and Eatzi's all are within just a few miles of each other in Buckhead, for example

According to a recent study by audit, tax and advisory firm KPMG LLP, Atlanta is the least costly place to do business.

Check out the article from the Atlanta Business Journal:

Competitive labor costs, favorable state-tax incentives a boon to Atlanta

Atlanta is the least-costly place to do business, according to a study released Tuesday by audit, tax and advisory firm KPMG LLP.

The reported lauded Atlanta's competitive labor costs and favorable state-tax incentives..................

According to the KPMG study, Atlanta had a cost index of 96.4, representing business costs 3.5 percent below the U.S. national average of 100.

Not bad, not bad indeed. I wonder how this will help our business climate? Maybe some companies will take notice....

Edge-City Sabotage by Atlantans...

I could be the only one that feels this way but does anyone think the citizens of the city of Atlanta purposely gave some of the edge-cities lame names? I find it mildly disgusting when people say I live in Galleria instead of Cumberland (or Greater Vinings :), which I prefer). Also nicknaming the Sandy Springs area Perimeter City wasn't the greatest idea since the 285 Perimeter rings the city for 60 or so miles. You intowners just couldn't accept defeat, but the edge cities will have their revenge when a 1500' rises on the outerloop. :tough:

P.S. Don't take this seriously... :lol:

Edge-City Sabotage by Atlantans...

I could be the only one that feels this way but does anyone think the citizens of the city of Atlanta purposely gave some of the edge-cities lame names? I find it mildly disgusting when people say I live in Galleria instead of Cumberland (or Greater Vinings :), which I prefer). Also nicknaming the Sandy Springs area Perimeter City wasn't the greatest idea since the 285 Perimeter rings the city for 60 or so miles. You intowners just couldn't accept defeat, but the edge cities will have their revenge when a 1500' rises on the outerloop. :tough:

P.S. Don't take this seriously... :lol:

HybridONE...it's not called Perimeter City....it's Perimeter Center.

'Sandy Springs' refers to - now - the city, or at least the inhabited portion of Fulton County between Atlanta & Roswell, along Roswell Rd. 'Perimeter' refers to the edge city, the business center surrounding Perimeter Mall which is mostly in Dekalb County, in what is considered the unincorporated suburb of Dunwoody.

The DeKalb county side has been referred to as Perimeter Center and the Fulton county side as Perimeter Center 400. These names are not consistent and do not hold up from print source to print source. Developers gave them the names, not the people of Atlanta. The names promote (for the developers purpose) the easy interstate access to 285 (the perimeter) and GA 400. After all they are not selling a community, their leasing office space.

The Fulton county side is now in the city of Sandy Springs and the DeKalb county side will be in Dunwoody if Dunwoody ever becomes a city. Will these jurisdiction changes affect the names of the area??? They should.

Another thought on this...

How about a 'Name that Edge City' Contest. I don't think there is a real name for that area that reflects their future roles as communities and not just as a collection of office parks.

Archived