Atlanta Off-Topic

Spartan

Andrea, you mentioned the Buckhead Whole Foods a while back and I stopped by there this weekend. Never thought I would use the word Wow! to describe a grocery store. The store is HUE for a Whole Foods and its the first grocery store I've ever been to with valet parking. Also, it looks like they took some cues from the Harry's stores for the produce section. Very nice.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrea, you mentioned the Buckhead Whole Foods a while back and I stopped by there this weekend. Never thought I would use the word Wow! to describe a grocery store. The store is HUE for a Whole Foods and its the first grocery store I've ever been to with valet parking. Also, it looks like they took some cues from the Harry's stores for the produce section. Very nice.

I know, Martinman, that place is like a food museum. I like to go there just to hang out!

:lol:

Speaking of Perimeter Center/Dunwoody/Perimeter 400/Unincorporated Dekalb, what do you guys think of the new lifestyle center with Super Target, The Manhattan condos, etc.? It seems as if the roundabout is a standard for any new lifestyle center.

I love it! I think they did a great job, especially considering what it replaced. AND, I can walk there from my office in like 5 minutes. :)

I had an appointment in Athens yesterday and decided to take I-85 because 316 is often impassable. However, the traffic was bumper to bumper (both ways, actually) on I-85 all the way to Braselton. This was about 2:00 in the afternoon. A couple of people in Athens told me that's not uncommon.

It is truly staggering how much development is taking place out that way.

The other day my plane descended into Atlanta from the east side of Atlanta. It was hard to believe, but Road Atlanta race track looked like it was part or at least on the edge of Atlanta's sprawl. There were subdivisions scattered around it - didn't expect that...

This is not a building thing but the High Museum has entered into an arrangement for a series of major loans -- perhaps of unprecedented scale -- from the Louvre. It's not the Mona Lisa but it's my understanding this involves a number of major Renaissance works. It's quite extraordinary and really marks the High's arrival as a major museum.

Under the 14-million-euro (18 million dollar) agreement, works from the Louvre will be temporarily loaned to the Atlanta museum over the next three years to be exhibited in the Anne Cox wing, a new extension designed by the architect Renzo Piano, who also designed the Pompidou Centre in Paris.

Each year, a major 11-month exhibition will retrace the history of the Louvre's collections, and will be supported by themed exhibitions lasting some three months.

Louvre to loan works to Atlanta as it opens its doors to US

This is not a building thing but the High Museum has entered into an arrangement for a series of major loans -- perhaps of unprecedented scale -- from the Louvre. It's not the Mona Lisa but it's my understanding this involves a number of major Renaissance works. It's quite extraordinary and really marks the High's arrival as a major museum.

Louvre to loan works to Atlanta as it opens its doors to US

I posted something on this earlier. This is great! Isn't the High the only museum in the world that the Louvre has agreed to do this with?

I posted something on this earlier. This is great! Isn't the High the only museum in the world that the Louvre has agreed to do this with?

There may be some other deals in the works, IC, but the one with Atlanta was the first to be announced. Apparently the Louvre needs to raise money and is interested in establishing loan programs like this.

Although Atlanta has been criticized for its relatively low level of support for the arts, we're fortunate to have had some generous donors here in the city. There are a lot more folks in this town with tons of money, and hopefully things like this will encourage a greater level of philanthropy.

I wasn't sure where to post this Maria Saporta article for those who haven't read it but I am very excited about the Mayor's task force because I think it could potentially have a larger impact on Atlanta than any of the developments we talk about.

Peachtree can become 'the greatest street in the Southeast' - AJC

Atlanta Mayor Shirley Frankiln announced the creation of a Peachtree Corridor Task Force Last Year. She challenged the task force to come up with a vision to turn Atlanta's most recognizable street into one of the world's premier boulevards.

"Atlanta deserves a prominent and distinctive avenue that is pedestrian-friendly and transit-oriented," the mayor wrote in a letter to City Council.

The task force will have a series of meetings before issuing a report with its recommendations and implementation plan in January.

The task force knows that it may be necssary to reduce the number of lanes along Peachtree to make room for wider sidewalks, landscaping and a streetcar.

Deleted Scenes from Independence Day

Atlanta was featured in the blockbuster hit Independence Day, the inner perimeter area was taken out during the 2nd wave of city destructions with Chicago and Philadelphia. The suburbs survived since the rolling fire-wall could only travel out 15 miles from the bullseye.

atlid40gc.jpg

atlid426jv.jpg

Okay, I photoshopped a little but Atlanta was one of the blown-up cities in the film, even though they didn't show it's destruction.

destroyed5sy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You know, it just hit me that, this Thursday, May 4th 2006, was my one year anniversary of joining UP.

I look forward to several more years here.

Atlanta has come a long way since then. The Aquarium has opened; NASCAR the Hall of Fame race is over; companies have come, left, merged, and gotten into trouble (Delta!); Atlantic Station has opened; and several new buildings have been proposed and gotten under construction.

Of course, UP's Atlanta section has come a long way as well. When I first joined, we didn't even have one. Soon, one was created. There were only a few posters at first (Martinman, teshadoh, and ryanmckibben are the only three active posters that I can remember who have been here since then) and only a few updates each day. More posters soon joined (Lady Celeste, Andrea, Newnan, Newnan Eric, and Student, just to name a few) and business picked up. Now there are several updates on most days. The level activity amazes me when I think of how (in)active it was just a year ago.

Let's hope it only gets better by this time next year!.

• 1 month later...

I didn't think this would fit in a specific forum, so I decided to put it in the off-topic forum.

I just got back from my trip to Washington D.C. Sunday night, and on the way back, we(one of my friends went with me) drove through Atlanta. We didn't get off the interstate, but I got to see the downtown/midtown skyline from I-85/75 for the first time in many years. :D

It was just my luck that literally as soon as we got downtown, it started to rain. As a result most of the pictures I tried to take are pretty bad, but I finally got some pictures from Atlanta nonetheless. Now that I've gotten into city skylines more than ever before in the last few months, going through Atlanta was awesome. Driving down I-85 you see bits and pieces of the skyline starting to pop up over the trees, and suddenly you turn the corner and BAM! there it all is. It's like you're looking down towards a never ending skyline, which was just fantastic. I've been to Atlanta many times, but the majority of those times happened when I was much younger and just wanted to go back to New Orleans. Even when I was in Atlanta on recent trips I never really paid much attention to the skyline, but this time it was different. And after my last drive through, on which I really focused in on the downtown area and the skyline, I have come to the conclusion that the Atlanta skyline is about 100x more impressive in person than it is in pictures. It's just an amazing sight, even if you're only driving through.

Anyway, just though I'd share that with you guys. Look for a few pictures soon! :thumbsup:

Great! I look forward to seeing thewm when you get the chance!

Also, as a note to everyone else (including you, NCB), be on the lookout for some of my own pictures soon. There's one in the "Atlanta Photo of the Day" Thread right now.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I will be in Toronto with my church choir (and a few others from the US and Canada).

I'll be back on the 4th of July, if all goes well.

Be on the lookout for pics!

I'll miss you guys :)

Enjoy your trip, IC! You'll be missed!

Bring back plenty of pictures! :D

Doesn't the Ritz Carlton/condo tower portion of the LA Live project in Los Angeles resemble 1180 Peachtree:

2006-06-ritz.jpg

Now that I look at it, I definately see what you're saying. There's quite a resemblence there. Interesting...

Archived