Atlanta Off-Topic

Spartan

Has anyone else noticed the new 2006 population figures from the census? They show an incredible population growth for the city. They revised the 2005 figure to 465,000. The new 2006 figure shows 470,000. That is 54,000 people since 2000, and 5,000 over last year. Your city will soon be the biggest it has ever been if these figures are correct. Apparently they have decided they undercounted it in the past years.

Rock on.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way off top, but when will be able to get E-85 in metro Atlanta. I just noticed the other day after seeing Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth that the gas cap on my 2002 GM says, "this vehicle can run on E-85". I went straight to the Internet when I got home and there is.... NOTHING, NADA, ZIP!!!

A couple of years ago I looked into it and there was a place in the Doraville area that had E85 and some place way out in the country that had E20. I'm going to guess they were too early to the market and couldn't find enough buyers.

I did find one station, but you may want to call them first to confirm they really are selling it to the public (there are many government and private fleet depots with E85 but of course you can't get any of it):

PS Energy - UFO 404-321-5711 340 Whitehall Street SW Atlanta GA 30303

I love Atlanta!!! :w00t: It seems like the city can't go wrong with all of the developments that are already built or proposed for the city. I try to make a trip to the city from Nashville once a year when I can, and I'm amazed every time.

Besides the traffic Atlanta is a very Beautiful city!!!! :D

Can you believe that the 4 thugs that attacked Michael Autry on Memorial day were granted bail and released from jail?(he killed the fifth one fighting back) I'm normally a fairly compassionate person, but I'm just sorry the other four were still alive to be grtanted bail, he should have killed them all. Now these thiefs friends are showing up at the victom's house threatening him. Meanwhile a Georgia Tech student was held for four FOUR days after the judge threw out the charges and ordered him released. His crime?...speeding.

OUR CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM IS A JOKE!!!!!!!

^Glad to hear you enjoyed Toronto, IC! It's a beautiful city, eh? ;)

Nice to have you back on the forum, man.

Thanks, NCB! It's great to be back.

I've been kind of lazy with posting and uploading my pictures (not just of Toronto, but of other places I've been to before the trip), so it may be a few days before I post any pictures. Also, it takes a long time to upload about 120 pictures.

----------------------------

It's a little late, but...........

Just for the record, yesterday was my 17th birthday.

Some interesting stats from the Census Bureau this morning at www.census.gov/compendia/smadb.

According to this report, Atlanta has only the 15th largest metropolitan area in the country in square miles.

So much for those folks who are always grousing, "Well, my city would have 5 million people too if it had 873 counties in its metropolitan area!"

Some interesting stats from the Census Bureau this morning at www.census.gov/compendia/smadb.

According to this report, Atlanta has only the 15th largest metropolitan area in the country in square miles.

So much for those folks who are always grousing, "Well, my city would have 5 million people too if it had 873 counties in its metropolitan area!"

Thats a common misconception due to GA's small counties and Atlanta's 28 county metro. Some of those larger than Atlanta are actually small metro's with HUGE counties in the western US but it also includes the Texas cities and several other big cities.

I get tired of that as well. It's like a broken record everytime someone tries to point out something positive about Atlanta.

I get tired of that as well. It's like a broken record everytime someone tries to point out something positive about Atlanta.

Wait...there's something positive about Atlanta? Just kidding. Seriously, I want to get people's opinion on this...

The APS board of ed just raised the millage rate for citizens of Atlanta. After this increase, APS's share of property tax bills will be 61%. APS and DeKalb Public Schools, have remarkably similar demographics, including the percent of free or reduced lunches. The differences are that APS spends over $11,000 per pupil per year and DeKalb only spends around $7000 per pupil per year, 41% less then Atlanta, AND they have higher SAT scores. Why??? Everyone seems to love Beverly Hall, but is their ANY excuse for this? Atlanta residents shoulder one of the highest tax burdens in the nation (I know we are in the top 10).

I know you guys haven't seen much of me lately (sorry, I've been busy with summer stuff). However, I just wanted to drop by and say that I'm going to be in Tampa and Daytona Beach for the next few days.

Don't worry, there will be pics (just a question as to when I finally upload them).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wait...there's something positive about Atlanta? Just kidding. Seriously, I want to get people's opinion on this...

The APS board of ed just raised the millage rate for citizens of Atlanta. After this increase, APS's share of property tax bills will be 61%. APS and DeKalb Public Schools, have remarkably similar demographics, including the percent of free or reduced lunches. The differences are that APS spends over $11,000 per pupil per year and DeKalb only spends around $7000 per pupil per year, 41% less then Atlanta, AND they have higher SAT scores. Why??? Everyone seems to love Beverly Hall, but is their ANY excuse for this? Atlanta residents shoulder one of the highest tax burdens in the nation (I know we are in the top 10).

My guess is that teachers in Atlanta get paid more than those in DeKalb. Let's do some math. If 20 students are in one class, the total expenditure per class per year is $220,000. How many teachers and administrative personnel are needed for one class? Who can figure out and do some calculation? The average SAT score largely rely on family involvement. Check out the Inman Middle School test score and you will be amazed. Inman is one of atlanta middle schools. Their test score is highest in this area as well as in GA I guess. Welcome comments from all of you....

^ Too many to name really. In fact, one of the best golf courses in the USA is located right in the middle of Atlanta (I guess that's Inman Park????) which is East Lake Golf Club. It has hosted numerous golf tournaments, including a Ryder Cup, Tour Championship, and I think the Players Championship. Also, the home course of Bobby Jones, who grew up in Grant Park, I believe.

Let me edit that, because I can't remember if the Ryder Cup was played there or at Atlanta Athletic Club (after they abandoned the city for the suburbs in the 60s).

• 1 month later...

Study: Atlanta lures more youngest and brightest than any U.S. city - ABC

No American metro area attracts more of the most-sought demographic of young professionals than metro Atlanta, according to Portland, Ore., economist Joe Cortright of Impresa Consulting.

The study, which was released Nov. 20 by the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, shows Atlanta leads the nation in luring highly educated 25- to 34-year-olds, a group demographers call the "Young and Restless." From 1990 to 2000, the metro area increased its young adult population 46 percent, which was faster than any of the top 25 most populous metro areas in the United States.

Although bigger cities such as New York, Los Angeles and Chicago still have greater total numbers of college-educated 25- to 34-year-olds, Atlanta has disproportionately outpaced those cities in growing its percentage of the prized demographic. For example, from 1990 to 2000, New York City -- with a Young and Restless population nearly five times the size of Atlanta -- only grew its Young and Restless population by about 35,000, while Atlanta grew its number by more than 80,000.

Archived