Atlanta Off-Topic

Spartan

^ Too many to name really. In fact, one of the best golf courses in the USA is located right in the middle of Atlanta (I guess that's Inman Park????) which is East Lake Golf Club. It has hosted numerous golf tournaments, including a Ryder Cup, Tour Championship, and I think the Players Championship. Also, the home course of Bobby Jones, who grew up in Grant Park, I believe.

East Lake is actually in, well, East Lake. Inman Park is about 3 or 4 miles to the west. East Lake was originally the Atlantic Athletic Club, but there was a membership split in the late 1960s and the club relocated to Duluth.

There are a slew of other courses in town. Druid Hills, Peachtree, Capital City and Ansley are among the elite private courses.

Some of my favorite public courses are Chastain, John A. White, Bobby Jones, Candler Park, and Tup Holmes. Piedmont Park also had a nice course until the mid-70s, as I recall, but they closed it down and made it more of a walking park. But the fairways are still pretty obvious.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Frankly, this article is rather misleading. It's based on a report by the Metro Altanta Chamber of Commerce which deals with data from 1990-2000. Maria Saporta's column in the AJC points out, however, that the figures in the current decade show something quite different.

As she says:

But the study did not show what has happened since 2000.

That's when Savannah's Creative Coast began doing research by studying census and population estimates between 2000 and 2005.

The results were quite different.

Nationally, the number of people between 25 and 34 declined by 4 percent in those five years.

But the decrease was even higher in Atlanta — which lost 8 percent of that population in those five years.

The city that took the hardest hit was San Francisco, where the percentage drop was 21 percent, largely because of the dotcom bust.

Other cities that lost population for that pivotal age group were: Charlotte (-9 percent); Raleigh (-9 percent); Denver (-5 percent); Portland, Ore. (-2 percent); Austin, Texas (-1 percent); Tampa (-6 percent); Greenville, S.C. (-4 percent); and Charleston, S.C. (-3 percent).

She argues that if Atlanta wants to get back in the game of attracting the "young and the restless" crowd, it will have to focus on improving the qaulity of life. These people, she says, "...are drawn to communities that have an appealing quality of life — a much softer and complex issue than offering cheap land, cheap labor, cheap housing and cheap energy (a mainstay of economic development in Georgia for decades)."

"What," she asks, "does quality of life include? Parks. Green space. Good schools. Comprehensive transit. Bicycle and pedestrian trails. Sidewalk communities. Quality restaurants. Exciting arts, cultural and entertainment venues. Nice climate. Low pollution. Top-level universities. Great neighborhoods. Minimal traffic. Health care. Ample water resources. The list could go on and on."

I think Saporta is right. Her full column is worth a read:

Money, vision needed to get 'young and restless' to settle here

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...metsaporta.html

Much of the aerial imagery for the denser parts of Atlanta has been updated on local.live.com. The difference in a year, or two, is quite intense, as you can see if compare the difference with Google Maps' images.

Buckhead is becoming quite dense, especially around Terminus. Atlantic Station looks really cool from the air as well.

Edit: Oh, and the bird's eye view feature is much improved.

• 1 month later...

What's with the sky today??? Please tell me that it's not smog. Isn't it way too early/too cool for us to have such a smoggy afternoon commute? If it is smog then we are in BIG trouble.

What's with the sky today??? Please tell me that it's not smog. Isn't it way too early/too cool for us to have such a smoggy afternoon commute? If it is smog then we are in BIG trouble.

I noticed that too, someone at work thought it had rained. There was a controlled burn in Jasper County and the winds pushed it through the metro area this afternoon/early evening.

• 4 weeks later...

In response to the two girls who robbed that bank, the AJC did this special story on the two, explaining how they degenerated into a life of crime. As I expected, somewhere along the way they became strippers in Doraville (doesn't everybody sooner or later?). The parents of these girls are quoted as saying stuff like, "she's just a little girl" and "she's not a bad person" and, the old standby, "she fell in with the wrong crowd." Whatever!!! Anyway, here is the article: article

• 2 weeks later...

So, who here hasn't heard of the CNN shooting incident? I heard about it while eating lunch. They had CNN on the TV's and it was non-stop coverage.

Here's an article with some more info on the subject...........should anyone be interested.

^I didn't know anyone had been killed in the incident. Heard a some were shot, but not anyone killed.

What a tragedy. It's especially upseting coming on the heels of the Final Four (where, let's face it, Atlanta shined). These freak incidents that could happen Anywhere, USA just reinforce tired stereotypes of Atlanta...................

Yep, Atlanta looked good during the Final Four.........and they had to ruin an otherwise wonderful time for the city.

(Sorry for the delayed response.........I was on vacation).

• 2 weeks later...

It appears workers have started to remove the BellSouth sign from the top of their (former) Midtown headquarters. According to an article in the AJC the new AT&T logo should be up within a couple of weeks.

I noticed that earlier today..... the only letters left were like "Bell" or something, with the rest with a wet look, like the building was crying. :(

Does anyone here work for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution? If so, would someone please explain why I can no longer get the AJC in Augusta---anywhere. There is a New York Times box across the street from my house, but according to the AJC, the closest box for them is in Athens. I loved that paper. Yeah, they're a bit heavy on the Lindsay Lohan stuff, but at least it's better than the Augusta Chronicle, which actually writes whatever the Republican Party orders it to, and gives me great articles like, "Pimp My Golf Cart."

Does anyone here work for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution? If so, would someone please explain why I can no longer get the AJC in Augusta---anywhere. There is a New York Times box across the street from my house, but according to the AJC, the closest box for them is in Athens. I loved that paper. Yeah, they're a bit heavy on the Lindsay Lohan stuff, but at least it's better than the Augusta Chronicle, which actually writes whatever the Republican Party orders it to, and gives me great articles like, "Pimp My Golf Cart."

For the record, I do not work at the AJC ;)

The actual AJC page is gone from the AJC's website, but if you scroll down a short ways here you find it mentioned that it's part of restructuring.

Circulation will be cut to 73 counties--Augusta/Richmond isn't one of them, apparently. It also will no longer be availiable outside of Georgia.

However, they are apparently shifting quite a bit of focus to the ajc.com website.

"Pimp my Golf Cart"?

This is an example of how print media is dying a slow but inevitable death. Why pick up the paper when you can access it online for free? Newspapers are catching on and decreasing their circulation.

Thanks for the reply Ironchapman. I saw that press release back in March and I understand their position. However, there is huge demand for the AJC in Augusta---many times I notice that it outsells the Augusta Chronicle at gas stations. I sent the AJC a mean email and they replied back citing high gas prices and how Savannah, Augusta and Columbus were out together (as if that would make me feel better). One problem for me is that many Augusta distributors have petitioned AJC to allow them to drive to Greensboro, Georgia and meet the AJC courier and then bring the newspapers back to Augusta (with AJC not incurring any added cost), but they still won't do it. It's upseting to me as it is my favorite newspaper. Right now there is a huge petition being distributed among Augustans to bring back the AJC (hopefully I'll get on t.v.).

Yes, Pimp My Golf Cart, where golf carts with spinning rims, sound systems, DVD players, et al. cruising around metro golf courses. Of course the in depth article on the guy who tried to fly an inflatable pig over the Augusta National during practice rounds was pretty cool (hang on, that was the Metro Spirit, oh well).

Since this is Atlanta Off-Topic, I figured this was the proper place to share this.

I've just been offered the position of Tour Guide for the Inside CNN Studio Tour! :tough: So if any of you are in the area, take the tour with Mark :)

Congrats Mark. We almost went there this past Saturday for fun.

A judge just cleared the way for Delta to come out of bankruptcy, so that's a good thing.

But I don't see Atlanta slowing down any time soon. The city recently ranked 4th overall in the 2007/2008 North American Cities of the Future competition by fDi magazine for the Major Cities category (over 2 million population). It ranked 1st in the "Most Business Friendly" competition and in the top five in the categories of "Best Economic Potential," "Best Infrastructure," and "Best Human Resources."

Archived