Atlanta Off-Topic

Spartan

Alright, guys, I'm going to be in Washington DC until Tuesday of next week (6/26) on a church trip. Behave while I'm gone! I'll see you in a little over a week!

I'll try to check in tomorrow morning before I leave because I have to get on my computer for something else, but that may or may not happen depending on if I have time or not.

--IC

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, is anyone going to see any 4th of July Fireworks in Atlanta or elsewhere (for our out of city and state friends who view this topic)?

Douglas County's not having any that I know of--I think the drought and fire concerns might be the reason why. I hear Peachtree City's going to have a nice show, though. I might have to make it down there.

• 1 month later...

Here's an interesting local record that's just been broken...

Atlanta sets record for consecutive 100-degree days

This has been the city's hottest recorded month.

Previously, July 1993 held the record with seven days of temperatures of 100 degrees or more, according to records that go back to 1930.

Hotlanta lived up to its nickname this month, with the mercury hitting 100 on August 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16 and 17, according to the National Weather Service.

Kind of amazing, isn't it? Of course, it's not just the heat that'll get to you--the humidity is often what makes it feel really bad!

• 2 months later...

The 1996 Olympic Village (with its 7, 8, 10, and 13 story buildings) could only hold 4,300 of its 10,320 athletes. Where were the rest of the athletes housed during the Games?

Actually, the whole of Georgia Tech's campus was used for the Olympic Village. Eight new residence buildings were constructed totaling 9,384 beds which were added to 4,509 beds in existing residence halls and another 1,185 beds in frat houses. The total bed count for the main Olympic village (there were eight satellite villages for the remote venues housing athletes who never set foot in the main village) was 15,078 which accomodated not just athletes, but coaches and other NOC officials.

Actually, the whole of Georgia Tech's campus was used for the Olympic Village. Eight new residence buildings were constructed totaling 9,384 beds which were added to 4,509 beds in existing residence halls and another 1,185 beds in frat houses. The total bed count for the main Olympic village (there were eight satellite villages for the remote venues housing athletes who never set foot in the main village) was 15,078 which accomodated not just athletes, but coaches and other NOC officials.

That means all of its existing dormitories and frat-houses were used bu the athletes, too? We might need a map of Georgia Tech to see all of its residence buildings.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

^ No, not to my knowledge, but feel free to start one here in the ATL Coffee House if you want to. :)

Anyways, while I was in Atlanta over my Spring Break from GSU (Georgia Southern), I discovered a new oldies station in the metro area, 106.7 "True Oldies". I've been waiting a long time for a new one to appear. I hope it lasts longer than some of the other previous attempts aty oldies stations that havde been tried here.

On a side note, I was a little amazed, but Statesboro has, IMO, a lot better choice of radio stations than the Atlanta area, especially since we pick up some of Savannah's radio stations, as well as a few from SC.

We have now officially seen it all on Atlanta's expressways.

A pair of llamas snarled traffic on I-285 early Friday afternoon for about 30 minutes , authorities said.

Their owner was traveling through Metro Atlanta from Alabama when the gate on the trailer came undone, east of the I-75 junction in north Fulton.

• 1 year later...

Mentioned this as part of a comment on the new retail outlet at ViewPoint in Midtown, but Atlanta now has 1200 sq.miles of high-speed wireless internet coverage. Clear (or Clearwire) is a WiMAX provider; WiMAX allows DSL/cable equivalent speeds wirelessly, so you can roam from your home to the office, to a client, to a coffee shop to Piedmont Park with the same connectivity. This should add to the attractiveness of the metro for business development.

Business Chronicle article

Clear website

Mentioned this as part of a comment on the new retail outlet at ViewPoint in Midtown, but Atlanta now has 1200 sq.miles of high-speed wireless internet coverage. Clear (or Clearwire) is a WiMAX provider; WiMAX allows DSL/cable equivalent speeds wirelessly, so you can roam from your home to the office, to a client, to a coffee shop to Piedmont Park with the same connectivity. This should add to the attractiveness of the metro for business development.

Business Chronicle article

Clear website

Well, that's certainly good news. I know I'll certainly be making use of it, and as you mentioned, I'm sure businesses certainly like it, too.

• 5 years later...

Archived