Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

This is from an article about tomorrows tour by nascar officials:

After the presentation, the group will have lunch and then take a tour of the proposed site. Finally, there will be a 3 p.m. news conference at the Charlotte Convention Center.

It doesn't say if the news conference will have any announcements with anything outside the hof.

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/loc...=100230&SecID=2

Edited by eastsider

This is from an article about tomorrows tour by nascar officials:

It doesn't say if the news conference will have any announcements with anything outside the hof.

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/loc...=100230&SecID=2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Doug Smith article is notably sparse on details. Just some comments from Furman and sort of a pie-in-the-sky plan for a domed stadium that would be in second ward. The question is who wants to watch baseball in a domed stadium? Conversely, I don't think people would look kindly on some kind of competition for the Arena.

Edited by ElricSeven

here is an article from today's observer that is equally sparse on details, but continues to reinforce how bullish furman and blvd centro are on downtown population.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/12401756.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where the heck did this quote come from:

"Downtown living will include noise, homelessness and grime."

It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Did anybody catch Reese's qoute in the article concerning the second ward plan. If not here it is. The site has already been referenced so here is the one qoute that I LOVE !

:wub:

Reese hasn't made public any construction cost projections, but he believes the value of new investment in Second Ward eventually could total $3 billion.

A2

Where the heck did this quote come from:

"Downtown living will include noise, homelessness and grime."

It sticks out like a sore thumb.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed that too, but I think he wanted to emphasize that some blight is an inevitable byproduct of urban growth. Being the postive person that I am ( :lol: ) I would just call it grittiness and character. I wouldn't read too much into it.

that $3B number made me think that this was less likely to take off, for some reason... i hope he can make it work, especially if it provides a privately funded baseball stadium (which would be great for second ward...i don't know why the planners said that).

It would be great if they can get started on a project or two to get things started.

I noticed that too, but I think he wanted to emphasize that some blight is an inevitable byproduct of urban growth.  Being the postive person that I am ( :lol: ) I would just call it grittiness and character.  I wouldn't read too much into it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree, i think that was aimed at winning over sceptics. the national and local trend of urban living is continuing despite the age-old byproducts of density...

i agree, i think that was aimed at winning over sceptics.  the national and local trend of urban living is continuing despite the age-old byproducts of density...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its interesting that you don't see any of those byproducts in very dense urban Japanese cities. And these cities that have reached a level of urbanity (an inappropriate word) that will not be seen here in our lifetimes.

ok, ok. i had a top level meeting with furman the other day to discuss his newest baby he's working on (he drinks and cusses like a sailor). we never talked about the project b/c he got off on a tangent about jennifer aniston...anyway, as he was leaving - this fell out of his briefcase. enjoy.

post-3579-1124296497_thumb.jpg

Edited by cinco

Its interesting that you don't see any of those byproducts in very dense urban Japanese cities.  And these cities that have reached a level of urbanity (an inappropriate word) that will not be seen here in our lifetimes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nor do you see it in many other Asian cities like Singapore and Honk Kong. So then the question begs, how do they do it? Is it strictly a cultural thing?

ok, ok.  i had a top level meeting with furman the other day to discuss his newest baby he's working on (he drinks and cusses like a sailor).  we never talked about the project b/c he got off on a tangent about jennifer aniston...anyway, as he was leaving - this fell out of his briefcase.  enjoy.

waxhaw2.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, an image hosted by Angelfire....amazing :rofl:

Nor do you see it in many other Asian cities like Singapore and Honk Kong.  So then the question begs, how do they do it?  Is it strictly a cultural thing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is exactly it. most americans feel like they are "owed" something just because they were born in america. in asian cultures there is strict work ethic that is engrained in the minds of the people from childhood.

ok, ok.  i had a top level meeting with furman the other day to discuss his newest baby he's working on (he drinks and cusses like a sailor).  we never talked about the project b/c he got off on a tangent about jennifer aniston...anyway, as he was leaving - this fell out of his briefcase.  enjoy.

waxhaw2.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just copy/paste the URL - http://www.angelfire.com/bug2/cinco/building/waxhaw2.jpg

Cinco - I think angelfire doesn't let another web server to the get.

that is exactly it. most americans feel like they are "owed" something just because they were born in america. in asian cultures there is strict work ethic that is engrained in the minds of the people from childhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then why are the streets littered with homeless in San Francisco that are of asian origin? Did they suddenly forget what was "ingrained" in them as children in Asia?

I don't buy the argument. My guess is that they've got a stronger family support structure with extended families in the same household so older folks and those with mental problems are more likely to receive support and care. Our culture in the U.S. is much more fragmented with nuclear families spread over the entire large continent.

Then why are the streets littered with homeless in San Francisco that are of asian origin?  Did they suddenly forget what was "ingrained" in them as children in Asia?

touche

I don't buy the argument.  My guess is that they've got a stronger family support structure with extended families in the same household so older folks and those with mental problems are more likely to receive support and care.  Our culture in the U.S. is much more fragmented with nuclear families spread over the entire large continent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very good point. Particularly about how the American family is more fragmented. In other cultures one takes his/her parents when they are too old to fend for themselves. Here we send them florida.

There IS definitely homelessness in Japan, just not the in-your-face, demanding, "You OWE me money, you rich prick" sort of panhandlers that you find in the US. THAT is a cultural difference. There's plenty of noise in urban Japan, too. Ever heard of Bousouzoku? They're a bunch of teenagers who take off the the mufflers on their motorcycles and cruise slowly down streets in urban neighborhoods revving their engines so nobody can sleep. There's plenty of crime in Japan, too. IIRC, petty theft and other non-violent crimes are actually not as different as some would have you believe between the US and Japan. There is a big difference in violent/armed crime, and there's one reason for that: guns.

Well there is a big difference between Asian and Japanese.  That is like comparing White to the UK.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really - Asian denotes a culture and region, White does not. It would be more similar to saying Arab and Iraq or Saudi Arabia.

While there are exceptions (Phillipines for instance), there is a general similarity to East Asian cultures across the countries, the same way there are commonalities with Western European countries, or even between US and Canada.

There IS definitely homelessness in Japan, just not the in-your-face, demanding, "You OWE me money, you rich prick" sort of panhandlers that you find in the US. THAT is a cultural difference. There's plenty of noise in urban Japan, too. Ever heard of Bousouzoku? They're a bunch of teenagers who take off the the mufflers on their motorcycles and cruise slowly down streets in urban neighborhoods revving their engines so nobody can sleep. There's plenty of crime in Japan, too. IIRC, petty theft and other non-violent crimes are actually not as different as some would have you believe between the US and Japan. There is a big difference in violent/armed crime, and there's one reason for that: guns.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There has never been anything like this in modern Japan. If teenagers who have taken the mufflers off their cars was all that we had to worry about then we would not be having this conversation. And these people were only upset at the result of a football game.

ba_riot2.jpg

ba_riot1.jpg

mn_oakriots-crowdwave_kk.jpg]

oakland4.jpg

ba_watch7.jpg

ba_watch6.jpg

mn_oakriots-wheelsmoke_mac.jpg

mn_oakriots-copslinedup_mac.jpg