Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

ground level at Stonewall station. They are actually vertical now (its hard to see in the photo but the first floor has been about 1/2 poured). Concrete pump is the tower to the right of the tower crane. 

I don't have a photo but there is a second crane base going up closer to South blvd.

Crescent.jpg

Visited the observer newsroom on Friday. Pretty awesome. They definitely have moved up in the world  view wise. They have the entire floor and sweeping 12th floor views and even a solid view of the blue ridge.

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, HopHead said:

^Looks like someone hung out with Ely! 

Ely and Katie. They are really awesome people. Ely will read this. Thanks for the tour bud.

Here is the county's analysis of the three projects. Unsurprising Conformity leads the way (by a large margin so far), followed by Citisculpt and Crescent. Everyone seemed to be on board for Crescent based on the previous comments. I think those comments are a little misguided based on pretty renderings and the name "Crescent." Honestly their project is not a very good use of the land, and even includes land thats not for sale. There is no hotel, very little residential, and very little retail. As much as I'd love this land to have for sale townhouses, as the price being paid for the land, they'd have to be county subsidized, or $750-1M per unit. Reading through the entire presentation its clear to me that I didn't give Citisculpt enough credit, their second proposal is pretty nice. That said, the biggest negatives Conformity received were lack of previous Masterplanning experience, and the need to be better vetted by the county in due diligence. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 9.15.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 9.16.08 AM.png

Edited by Guest

I don't understand the discrepancy in the land payments.  That said, it's noteworthy how much less dense the Crescent proposal is compared to the others.  From their perspective, they may be thinking that there will be an awful lot of office, retail and hotel SF soon a few blocks away (developed predominantly by them).  Perhaps their proposal reflects some concern about filling that much office and retail space and that many hotel rooms...

I know too little about too much of these proposals to have an intelligent opinion on which one is the best.  

4 minutes ago, JBS said:

I don't understand the discrepancy in the land payments.  That said, it's noteworthy how much less dense the Crescent proposal is compared to the others.  From their perspective, they may be thinking that there will be an awful lot of office, retail and hotel SF soon a few blocks away (developed predominantly by them).  Perhaps their proposal reflects some concern about filling that much office and retail space and that many hotel rooms...

I know too little about too much of these proposals to have an intelligent opinion on which one is the best.  

Crescent's proposal reflects current market characteristics, and an unphased approach. Crescent and Citisculpt reflect a more drawn out build out that goes well into the next upturn. One thing that they all have in common is the first phase, as has been the case of 1st and 3rd ward, will be the delivery of a signature park for the neighborhood.

This has certainly confirmed my liking of Conformity's plan. I didn't realize that Citisculpt's second option has so much residential. 

Wasn't Conformity Citisculpt going to use marshall park giving it "upgrades" rather than developing on that land and building a new one?

Edited by Nick2

7 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

This has certainly confirmed my liking of Conformity's plan. I didn't realize that Citisculpt's second option has so much residential. 

Wasn't Conformity Citisculpt going to use marshall park giving it "upgrades" rather than developing on that land and building a new one?

nope. Not even a little bit. Crescent was the only one that preserved any piece of it.

Here is Citisculpts higher density option

Screen_Shot_2016-05-18_at_11.00.01_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2016-05-18_at_11.00.14_AM.png

Edited by Guest

I have to say that I'm really falling in love with the higher density Citisculpt plan.  I do prefer Conformity's (specifically the greater presence of retail), but I'm salivating over the "New Brooklyn Avenue" lined with retail. I'm correct that this would be pedestrian only? If done properly, this could be our baby version of Lincoln Street with enough presence on the outside to draw people in, but I doubt it will be mostly apparel. I also like how the retail fronts the park.

Literally just listening to WFAE as I'm reading this thread and they had a report that City Council did NOT vote on any of the proposals today.  They had more questions and concerns to discuss.  They will have this added to another upcoming session - TBD.

9 hours ago, JBS said:

I know absolutely nothing but I will be surprised if this doesn't clinch the deal.  This seems like a move specifically designed to appeal to the board of commissioners...

oh yea, no, this will win them it. 100%

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

oh yea, no, this will win them it. 100%

Using your intuition or hearing rumors?

I thought it would help, but then figured $5MM is small compared to the larger project [think minimum bid increments].  Hope it works out either way!  Then again we'd probably get some race baters in to protest.

1 hour ago, alb1no panther said:

Using your intuition or hearing rumors?

I thought it would help, but then figured $5MM is small compared to the larger project [think minimum bid increments].  Hope it works out either way!  Then again we'd probably get some race baters in to protest.

Conformity's plan was favored by 8 points. I think this is enough to take them over the top. The plan will likely have to change a bit. 

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Conformity's plan was favored by 8 points. I think this is enough to take them over the top. The plan will likely have to change a bit. 

I saw that point breakdown, but then again I don't know how close these things come.  I'm guessing 8 points is kind of a "blow out."

2 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

I saw that point breakdown, but then again I don't know how close these things come.  I'm guessing 8 points is kind of a "blow out."

I'd call it a blow out for sure, however, I can tell you each of the companies are working to make up the gap between them and 100%. What we see is Conformity doing is just that. They are trying to up their "respects history and context" and "long term economic development" scores. The will do their due diligence on the other criteria, but why not try to knock the rest of the intangibles out of the park.

I had a neighbor who moved here from Madison Wisconsin, home of beautiful blue lakes in every direction. His office was to be in Cameron Brown building at 3d and McDowell, facing Marshall Park at nearly this perspective. They sent him a photo of the building looking toward uptown with Marshall Park in the foreground with the "lake" looking blue and inviting. He was excited to see that Charlotte had a downtown lake like Madison. On his first day of work he discovered that the lake was a pond. This pond was but a concrete enclosure. And that the water had been drained for maintenance and it was now a muddy, litter filled eyesore.

Welcome to Charlotte!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I had a neighbor who moved here from Madison Wisconsin, home of beautiful blue lakes in every direction. His office was to be in Cameron Brown building at 3d and McDowell, facing Marshall Park at nearly this perspective. They sent him a photo of the building looking toward uptown with Marshall Park in the foreground with the "lake" looking blue and inviting. He was excited to see that Charlotte had a downtown lake like Madison. On his first day of work he discovered that the lake was a pond. This pond was but a concrete enclosure. And that the water had been drained for maintenance and it was now a muddy, litter filled eyesore.

Welcome to Charlotte!

Edited by caterpillar2
Changed my mind :)