Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

11 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

random question, but are there any talks for a protected bike lane on stonewall?

Protected Bike lanes are an active discussion in all of uptown, and I'd imagine stonewall would be one of the streets in consideration. As of now, no, probably not any talks, but there could be soon. 

4 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

sure i was aware of uptown generally, but i meant more specifically for stonewall.  i'm trying to imagine it's fit in that rendering.

I mean, there is an established plan for Stonewall. This is a snapshot of the description. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 2.40.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-19 at 2.44.19 PM.png

6 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Protected Bike lanes are an active discussion in all of uptown, and I'd imagine stonewall would be one of the streets in consideration. As of now, no, probably not any talks, but there could be soon. 

Soon, as in tomorrow! The City hired a consultant to put together a bike plan (including protected lanes) for all of Uptown. The consultant will be presenting their findings tomorrow and taking public comment.

Public Workshop, Tuesday, September 20, 2016 to share recommendations for the Uptown Connects Study.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016
Charlotte Mecklenburg Government Center
600 East Fourth Street, Room 267
Charlotte, NC 28202

Drop in anytime between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.

More info here: http://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/UptownConnectsStudy.aspx

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad for the token restaurant space facing the rail, but aesthetically this is the worst new uptown project I've seen. The average Embassy Suites in the middle of a parking lot in suburbia has more architectural detail and appeal, so I don't know how we got this under-sized and under-polished turd on such a presumably expensive site.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, birky said:

I have debated bringing this up for a few weeks now given the sensitive nature of this topic.  However, considering current events this seems like an opportunity for discussion.

In short, I think we should avoid calling the redeveloped land in 2nd Ward anything resembling "Brooklyn". 

When minority groups discuss the term structural racism, what is really being suggested is what can be called covert racism.  That is, it's racism which is subtle/passive and usually lacking in intent.  We tend to think of racism as something that is overt, like using a slur when referring to someone. This act demonstrates intent.  What African-Americans in this country are trying to get others to acknowledge are the racial components of society that most of us never notice but reinforce domination of one group by another.  "Brooklyn Village" is a great example of this.  For those unfamiliar with the backstory, Brooklyn was an African-American neighborhood in 2nd Ward that was razed in the 1960s and 70s.  The intent of the city was to fight crime and squalor, which often occurs in economically depressed neighborhoods.  In order to redevelop the area, many black families were forced to relocate to other parts of the city.  Forced relocation can be a huge burden on the working poor, and I think it's safe to say that incidents like these are not among the city's proudest moments.

Now we are seeing calls for this area to once again be redeveloped, back into a neighborhood with mixed-use developments. There's an implied acknowledgement here that was lost was culturally significant.  But the plan for this new development only calls for 10% set aside for affordable housing. Knowing what we do about demographics, this means the new "Brooklyn Village" will be predominantly white.  And this is where I think we run into a problem - I wish there was a better term, but essentially we're talking about a white washing of the history of the previous Brooklyn neighborhood. I think it's one thing for a neighborhood to gentrify (and there are lots of criticisms with how that comes about), and another thing entirely to appropriate the name and the history of "Brooklyn" for a redevelopment that will really have nothing to do with the original.  And I'm not suggesting that I'm against the redevelopment plan.  Just call it something else.  I think this is one of those simple choices that takes into consideration our fellow citizens.

not to burst your bubble, but affirmative action acknowledges and attempts to remedy the past's structural racism . . . with more structural racism. 

in today's hyper sensitive world, one could view it a paying respects to the past; others, like you, would see it as cultural usurpation. they're all just voices.  a neighborhood got wrecked a long time ago to make way for newer development.  how is that any different than your typical project nowadays?  

Edited by alb1no panther

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I'm going to pile on. That Embassy Suites is massively embarrassing for someone. I don't know if they just went way over budget or something, but the quality and aesthetics are in the dump. It looks like a building from the 60s that had a bad renovation

Couldn't agree more. Initially it showed promise but granted it is going to be nearly a year behind schedule (once opened) it tells me they went insanely over budget and value engineered a lot. 

Edited by Jayvee

• 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, kermit said:

I think this public space activation around Marshall Park went below our radar:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/77767/charlotte-plans-spice-boxy-beige-government-district/

I really appreciate the effort to do _something_ there

Cool. Now the kids will have someplace to play while mommy is there for her court date to sue for back child support from her baby daddy. (too far?)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jednc said:

Cool. Now the kids will have someplace to play while mommy is there for her court date to sue for back child support from her baby daddy. (too far?)

I mean... if it happens anywhere it happens on that mega block... though further down the block near McDowell.

This will also be useful to city employees who want a slightly less soul crushing location to escape their daily mundanity.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

9 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I mean... if it happens anywhere it happens on that mega block... though further down the block near McDowell.

This will also be useful to city employees who want a slightly less soul crushing location to escape their daily mundanity.

Agree. My comment was just a joke to be honest.

• Like 1