Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

Well there were two GREAT articles in the CLT Observer regarding the 2nd ward master plan and the hopes of Baseball in that part of uptown. Plus you had the optimism of Furman with his 10 year projections. That has to account for something, right???

A2

Edited by A219724

Well there were two GREAT articles in the CLT Observer regarding the 2nd ward master plan and the hopes of Baseball in that part of uptown. Plus you had the optimism of Furman with his 10 year projections. That has to account for something, right???

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I like the idea of the baseball stadium being in second ward, I think the fact that it would be a domed stadium is horrible. Part of the experience of going to a baseball game is the ambience, something a dome would severly take away from. Whats the point of having a stadium in uptown if you can't take in the skyline view? I'd rather just keep going out to Fort Mill.

While I like the idea of the baseball stadium being in second ward, I think the fact that it would be a domed stadium is horrible. Part of the experience of going to a baseball game is the ambience, something a dome would severly take away from. Whats the point of having a stadium in uptown if you can't take in the skyline view? I'd rather just keep going out to Fort Mill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree ES. I am not one for a domed baseball stadium. Keep the silly roof off. This aint Basketball, or Football. Most of the reason people go to the ball park is to enjoy the weather and the experience of being outside.

A2

A domed stadium? For Minor league or major league?

Either way I hate domes. I would not nver once attend a game if its a dome.

And who was it that started this stupid "big announcement rumor"? I will be sure not to ever take anything this person says again with a grain of salt.

I almost drove from Raleigh to Charlotte today because I was so excited.(thankfully I didnt)

Whoever started this....it was not cool

And who was it that started this stupid "big announcement rumor"? I will be sure not to ever take anything this person says again with a grain of salt.

I almost drove from Raleigh to Charlotte today because I was so excited.(thankfully I didnt)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take it easy man, when we're trying to get the skinny on something early we've got to learn to handle the vagaries of availability. Sometimes plans change. The alternative is to not say anything at all until the news is out, in which case this board becomes pretty useless.

i don't get it... the papers today have one developer announcing that uptown will easily triple in population, and another developer offering up a plan to privately build a baseball stadium and a plan for up to $3B in investment in the most dead and depressing quadrant of our downtown...

what does it take to satisfy you people!!! :)

LOL...Cinco you even had the forumers up in Raleigh excited about this "Big Announcment" A2 probably even had to sneak in a few cigs to calm his anxiety:)

News 14 showed a 3D animation of the Charlotte HOF that included the skyline...is that what you were talking about?

Don't worry, Charlotte will have plenty of real Big Announcements in the future that will satisfy us all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you will be sure not to take anything he says with a grain of salt?? so in other words you will take everything he has to say very seriously? as opposed to taking it with a grain of salt?

speak english much? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everybody's hatin' on ya, but i feel ya dog. I sense your genuine excitement about development in uptown Charlotte and i dig it. Your disappointment indicates you care, so keep it comin', holla.

Would people really want to live right next door to an open air ballpark?

Heck, Greensboro had an initiative last election trying to prevent one from being built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I voted for the stadium.... It was privately funded. This was another case of a few people shouting real loud to force an issue. The stadium passed 2 to 1 by the voters.

What still gets me is that the most vocal opposition to the stadium were those who lived on the edge of downtown! Downtown comes with a bit of noise and light, even without a stadium.

I would very much like to see the new baseball proposal in 2nd ward go through.

Edited by hueion39

So what was the big announcement again......or was there one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the big announcement was a project called "Brooklyn Renaissance Project" where a developer has a master plan for the area around the NASCAR HOF in 2nd Ward. the development would include a baseball/allpurpose stadium and could inject $3B of investment in the neighborhood.

This plan, however, does not come with financing, so it is just in the dreaming/planning stage, so should be taken with a huge spoonful of salt.

I think one of the rumors about a big announcement was a consolidated rendering of how uptown will look after all the announced higrise projects are built. That was probably just shared with the Nascar officials privately, as it never made its way to public viewing.

the big announcement was a project called "Brooklyn Renaissance Project" where a developer has a master plan for the area around the NASCAR HOF in 2nd Ward.  the development would include a baseball/allpurpose stadium and could inject $3B of investment in the neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bear with me. I'm still trying to understand which ward is which. But is 2nd Ward a depressed area?

Bear with me. I'm still trying to understand which ward is which. But is 2nd Ward a depressed area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes.

second ward is the one in the follow aerial:

http://virtualearth.msn.com/default.aspx?c...le=h&lvl=17&v=1

It almost completely covered in surface lots, has 2 hotels (a very old adam's mark and a very ugly hampton inn), 2 office buildings for the school system (and bus parking), 1 school for the disabled, 1 old county aquatic center, 1 church, and a park that has more goose paddies than visitors.

it is dead from an urban perspective, and has the ghosts of the old brooklyn neighborhood, plowed down by urban renewal (yes, everyone notices the irony of that label), which is why the gov't owns almost all this land.

Thank you, Dubone. I always thought that was First Ward. :wacko: It doesn't look that bad. I did hear crime around the hotels there has been increasing so maybe this new development will help.

Honestly, the only ward I really know is Fourth Ward, but that's because I'm trying to buy a house there. It's perfect! Within walking distance to Uptown. Charlotte needs more neighborhoods like that to go with the condos.