Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

I suggest we start a beauty contest with all the high rise buildings uptown and vote our favorites on a 1-10 scale and then we can share the results.  I bet most my personal top 5 would be in many of yours too.   Then we can rank the buildings.   and yes the Adams Mark Sheraton (2x in its life) the Blake would be in the bottom 10 for sure. 

• Like 1

This one is the worst IMO
2adNomz.jpg&key=6cca23a6df716b527f79debde0e9df0fa842367a417b93fae624b6fc8a31d227
The two you reference are horrible, but at least they have windows.

Must have missed the scalloped concrete on this fella, it's a beaut in some lights. Interestingly this building has had two proposals in the past 20 or so years for it to be stripped and reskinned, both were harbingers to a recession. If you see something come up for this, buckle up buckaroo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I suggest we start a beauty contest with all the high rise buildings uptown and vote our favorites on a 1-10 scale and then we can share the results.  I bet most my personal top 5 would be in many of yours too.   Then we can rank the buildings.   and yes the Adams Mark Sheraton (2x in its life) the Blake would be in the bottom 10 for sure. 

That sounds like a great idea. The only issue would be setting concrete guidelines as to what buildings are considered contestants (minimum floors/height, etc? So we don't end up pitting BoA Tower over Midnight Diner), and finding decent pictures of each one.

Actually... this would be very helpful: List of Tallest Buildings in Charlotte, NC

• Like 2

We should start with the top 25 tallest buildings and vote 1-10"  1 being knock it down to 10 Charlotte landmark.  If I knew how to set up a poll like this I would but I know someone does on UP. 

We have open the polling for a couple of weeks in case people not familiar with the building so someone could get a photo. But honestly I think we have photos of almost every building and what we dont have I will go get personally. 

• Like 3

On 9/27/2017 at 10:31 PM, JBS said:

I think Walton is worse.  This is less visible, interestingly ugly and not named for a sex criminal...

Walton is completely irredeemable in every way.

Wasn't bad in 1962 or 1963 when it was built.  I am sure it will be torn down like all other icons.  The old Cutter Building was named and owned by a murderer. 

3 hours ago, J-Rob said:

650 Stonewall, yesterday.  http://www.proffittdixon.com/under-construction-2/

Would have been nice to have something other than stick-built apartments here.  Maybe the growth in Brooklyn Village will make this one corner inconsequential. 

I wonder how many years it takes to provide enough of a return on this project to consider it for redevelopment.  20?  

2 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Unless I missed something, Metro School is not in scope of Brooklyn Village...

You are correct sir, though Conformity/Peebles will be paying for the addition of a specialized school there. 

OT:

Student once asked me where to access student records for current non-students. They were at Walton building at that time. (May be still). I said he needed the Walton Building at McDowell and Stonewall. He said (Honestly. This truly happened) "Bill Walton has a building?". Sigh, "Yes" I said.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You are correct sir, though Conformity/Peebles will be paying for the addition of a specialized school there. 

Are there any details on this specialized school and what exactly Conformity/Peebles are responsible for? (i.e. is there a max limit on what they are expected to contribute?)

11 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Are there any details on this specialized school and what exactly Conformity/Peebles are responsible for? (i.e. is there a max limit on what they are expected to contribute?)

I believe its a  “Entrepreneurship Institute” on the site, modeled after the Academy of Hospitality and Tourism that Peebles’ company built  in at Washington, D.C.

• 2 months later...

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

not this cycle at least.

Shame, with all the momentum elsewhere.  Any idea why ?

25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/peebles-led-jv-to-build-1-2b-angels-landing-high-rises/?utm_source=whatcountsemail&utm_medium=cpe daily&utm_campaign=cpe daily newsletter

Hey maybe Mr Peebles could build a tower half the size of this one proposed in downtown LA  I would take that! 

Poster on SSC says the LA project is in for a long, hard slog.