Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

On 9/27/2017 at 6:40 PM, Niner National said:

This one is the worst IMO

2adNomz.jpg

The two you reference are horrible, but at least they have windows.

Saw some plans again recently to re-skin this building. There are a couple of problems with it... It is one of the oldest buildings in the city and would have a lot of asbestos abatement, there is an exterior egress stair which creates some interesting code issues and the elevators are run by some trolls in the basement that pull the cables to make it go up...

Needless to say the plans were priced and fell through for now...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JSquare said:

Saw some plans again recently to re-skin this building. There are a couple of problems with it... It is one of the oldest buildings in the city and would have a lot of asbestos abatement, there is an exterior egress stair which creates some interesting code issues and the elevators are run by some trolls in the basement that pull the cables to make it go up...

Needless to say the plans were priced and fell through for now...

that would be my building upfit prediction ;-)

24 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

that would be my building upfit prediction ;-)

Seems like you know more about the current momentum of this job than I do. haha

I agree, it will most likely happen. I am hoping it will be a nice upgrade at street level with some 2 story curtain wall but with some of the issues that come with a building that old it is hard to say what the budget will allow. 

I know the exterior precast has some nasty chemicals in it and will most likely cause a lot of it to stay on the building since no dump will accept all of it. So the exterior will probably remain the same but with every few panels taken out and replaced with window. 

2 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Phew.... leave it alone!

I like it personally, but it also houses several startups and tech companies.

There are so few small floor plates buildings in Uptown with affordable rents, not sure why we would be cheering the elimination of another one.

I do not believe the floor plate size will change, they will just do things like upgrade bathrooms, and as for the looks like I said above they probably will only receive a minor face lift so if you like it now I bet you will after the renovation. 

it already houses King's Kitchen (old SONOMA) and the King's Bakery (former cuban sandwich place of decent size). Aesthetics on the ground floor are fine on Trade, not necessarily Church. It doesnt need that much work on the ground floor. I, personally, like the building as is externally. If they want to upgrade the interior to Class A, all for it. Its a prime location, but I would hate to lose affordable office space right in the center of town. It adds to that entrepreneurial "millennial" focus that planners salivate over.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Since this spans North Tryon and Brooklyn village putting this here.  Plus sounds like all still very much conceptual.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article204965009.html

Anyone else feel underwhelmed by Brooklyn Village?  I'm having a hard time understanding what feels like under use (density) of the acreage for land in a downtown setting 

Since this spans North Tryon and Brooklyn village putting this here.  Plus sounds like all still very much conceptual.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article204965009.html
Anyone else feel underwhelmed by Brooklyn Village?  I'm having a hard time understanding what feels like under use (density) of the acreage for land in a downtown setting 

I think density is great, this area doesn’t necessarily necessitate all high rise construction. They are trying to fit in townhouses, condos, apartments and at least 10-15% affordable housing. This is still a very dense project, looking to create 1200 housing units, half million sq feet of retail, 750,000 sq feet of office and around 700 hotel units. That’s pretty damn great for an area filled with under utilized suburban style government buildings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think density is great, this area doesn’t necessarily necessitate all high rise construction. They are trying to fit in townhouses, condos, apartments and at least 10-15% affordable housing. This is still a very dense project, looking to create 1200 housing units, half million sq feet of retail, 750,000 sq feet of office and around 700 hotel units. That’s pretty damn great for an area filled with under utilized suburban style government buildings.

I'm on board with what your saying.  I think I'm just having a hard time visualizing all of it together.

• dubone changed the title to Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

10 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The part you're missing is that this project is now effectively on two sites that will have new development, and 1200 units is about generic apartment buildings. I'm betting half of that 1200 units and 1/3 of the retail is on Stonewall, so that leaves 600 units + the rest of the retail and hotel around a small park. Its certainly more dense than what's there now (unless you count Canadian geese as a part of uptown's population), but this project is gradually becoming less and less of a "new Brooklyn." I hope that someone is able to stitch together the block between Stonewall and MLK and make a cohesive neighborhood out of all of the new development in Second Ward/Brooklyn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The part you're missing is that this project is now effectively on two sites that will have new development, and 1200 units is about generic apartment buildings. I'm betting half of that 1200 units and 1/3 of the retail is on Stonewall, so that leaves 600 units + the rest of the retail and hotel around a small park. Its certainly more dense than what's there now (unless you count Canadian geese as a part of uptown's population), but this project is gradually becoming less and less of a "new Brooklyn." I hope that someone is able to stitch together the block between Stonewall and MLK and make a cohesive neighborhood out of all of the new development in Second Ward/Brooklyn.

Oh I agree, I wish they’d rebuild metro school as a urban space, exchange a new school with smaller floor plates and vertically integrated format for the rest of the block. Then build up all the rest. Not sure what you could offer MAC tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Metro School serves a really special part of the student population of CMS and I can only imagine how loathe they would be to adding lots of elevators for many of the children in wheelchairs. It is a county-wide school from my understanding so ideally it needs to be easily accessible with highway access and public transportation. 

http://schools.cms.k12.nc.us/metroEC/Pages/AboutOurSchool.aspx

Edited by sakami
  • Like 2

^ That is really awesome CMS has a school like this.  Actually makes me feel good our school/city/govt has this.

I will curse this plot of land just a little less when I drive by.  I would love to see the commuting patters of the students.  I am sure CMS has this data.

Uptown CMS thinks is really the most convenient for parents coming from around the county?

51 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I would love to see the commuting patters of the students.  I am sure CMS has this data.

Uptown CMS thinks is really the most convenient for parents coming from around the county?

CMS publishes "dot maps" for every school showing the home address of every student.  Here's the one for Metro School: 

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/StudentPlacement/PlanningServices/Student Dot Maps/8454_Metro.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

More from thr main library: I love this old photo of the 200 block of S Brevard St, with the AME Zion church in the background, and the still-standing Mecklenburg Investment Company building in the foreground, with  Susie's Grill in thr middle. 

Imagine thr blocks around this lined with brick buildings with businesses and apartments. 

20180525_172538.png

20180525_172639.png

• Like 3