Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

This is really a pretty amazing location due to its proximity to Metropolitan and Sugar Creek Greenway. The area around the lot is pretty dead right now, but even without much development it is still attractive given the five minute walk to parks, shopping (including groceries), and restaurants.

Don't forget easy (if not pretty) access to the neighborhood business district at Morehead and McDowell.I would not be surprised to see a grocery store in this area eventually.

I would really like to see this area be more intensively utilized (the Duke Endowment didn't help the retail landscape here).

^That section of Morehead lacks critical mass and active street walls to become a retail district.  The church and Duke Foundation box-in the area's potential to a very small node around McDowell.  Space next to the Dilworth Grill building has sat vacant for over a year, despite its storefront windows.  Joggers from the nearby Dowd are about the only street life.  Besides, CDOT would never diet Morehead for on-street parking.

Edited by southslider

I heard on NBC Charlotte this morning that the Fountains at Stonewall parcel should be closed-on in May and construction can get underway.
They also mentioned that there ore talks of a multi-use tower being built on the parcel across from NASCAR HOF, but could be as much as 4/5 years away.

I hope soemthign gets built on those open fields next to 277... every time I go by there they beg "develop us; give us purpose for being here!"..
How long ago did they re-do those interchanges to free up that land anyway?

^ The interchange work was only completed about 2-3 years ago (around the time of HOF opening) which also happened to be in the midst of the recession.  It's not like the property has been sitting there available forever.

I think we'll see those spaces get taken and filled within the next 5 years.

Well I am glad that NBC gave us the answer we were looking for. That parcel across from the hall of fame that is proposed to have two towers, I remembers YEARS ago that I saw a proposed tower for that site at work,b ut it never came to be because of the recession.

Great news about a prospective 25-30 tower there... Though to me, I always thought Charlotte's version of the Tower of the Americas or Space Needle (i.e. a Signature viewing tower with a revolving restaurant type thing) would be a great fit here. The lot, while inside the 277 loop is somewhat isolated and would be a perfect spot for something like that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Extra, extra, read all about!  Fountains at Stonewall closed-on & construction starts in the fall with occupancy in 2015.

There's a 360* video overview of the project, it appears there are units with balconies on the backside facing 277 but, the height at which the apartments are elveated above parking should allow most tenants a view of South End and the treeline of Dilworth.

Video: http://youtu.be/TyS34iSvaYE

Article Here

Yay!  :yahoo:

I love this project because it starts to bring Midtown momentum into otherwise-dead 2nd Ward, but also that it marks the first of the Nascar parcels to be sold by the city, leading hopefully to more increase by developers in the other ones.

I had forgotten or never noticed that it was that 6-stories tall, which is taller than the 4-stories I had been picturing.

• Like 1

Other than lack of retail, the street treatment seems decent from my perspective (brick wall with fountains and multiple entrances into the building).

The density is really decent and with a skyline view like that, an uptown address and proximity to retail and restaurants in Midtown and Dilworth, I am sure they will have no trouble filling up. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed that the Crowne Plaza downtown had the logo and "Crowne" text removed from the building. This has turned into a locally run hotel called The Charlotte Plaza Hotel. Though I would love it if this were a boutique hotel, It would seem as this is just a company looking to convert the hotel on the cheap. They kept the www.cpcharlottehotel.com website since it still resembles the name. Not that this was a prime property or anything, but I see another Blake here (I.e. 4-star hotel on websites but 2-star hotel in reality). I wish Kimpton would start a real boutique hotel here.

^That's interesting.   I wonder if Crowne Plaza sold that location in hopes of building a better location/newer hotel closer to the action of center city?

And just dreaming - but wouldn't it be great if they partnered with the Epicentre as the new tower there?

Edited by Urbanity

This was a franchise agreement, where the locally owned/operated hotel paid some fee to Intercontinal Group for rights to brand the property a Crowne Plaza plus benefits like their booking/rewards systems, etc.

Crowne Plaza has certain standards, both in regards to quality of the rooms and common areas, as well as customer experience (measured by surveys).  If this hotel didn't spend the cash required to keep the hotel up to "Crowne Plaza" quality or they got low customer reviews and didn't turn those issues around, Intercontinental can demand a local hotel to stop using its brand names.

My guess is that is what happened, though I suppose since they usually sign 10-15 year franchise agreements, that the local operator didn't think they were getting enough benefit from being branded a Crowne Plaza and decided to not renew.

BTW....this is usually a death spiral for a hotel.  This was always a weird location for a 4-star brand, and would be better served by a 2-3 star, such as Best Western or Radisson.

• 1 month later...

Funny, it opened as a Sheraton in 1973.  Just returning to its roots, I guess.  I don't think it would be too far out to speculate that the hotel could easily be split between the two.   Superchains do this frequently and are able to utilize single housekeeping and food service areas (Hilton/Hilton Garden, JW Marriott/Ritz Carlton, etc.).  One tower could be the Sheraton, the other could be the Le Meridian. 

Whatever the case, I hope they manage to do something in the refurb so both towers aren't, y'know... complete and total eyesores like they are now.

If it is for real, they could do two banners at that location since it's essentially two separate towers connected by meeting rooms, etc.

Winner winner chicken dinner. https://twitter.com/chrismillerwbt is reporting that one tower will be a Sheraton opening in August, the other will be Le Meridien by January of next year.

• Like 1