Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going on with the lot on the corner of stonewall and caldwell. Diagonal from Nascar. Drove by today and noticed they have set up a construction erosion barrier around the lot.

Construction Staging for Fountains at Stonewall. :-( Womp Womp

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CityCouncil/Council%20Briefings/I-277%20Land%20Parcels.pdf

Here is recent information on these parcels from a month ago to City Council.   Slide 8 indicates there may be interest in the parcels to sell.  "Each remaining parcel is being marketed and various proposals are being formulated by interested groups nationally and locally".   I don't think I see any information on it actually being sold, but maybe there are some pre-requisite work that the city must do as part of coming to terms of sale.  

• 2 weeks later...

From the Meck Times:

The last time we spoke, Birju Patel told me he was hoping for a January start for construction on his Embassy Suites hotel project at the corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Caldwell Street, across from the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

But that was in early 2013 and Patel, head of High Point-based BPR Properties and Patel Construction, has added to the plans for his $50 million Uptown hotel.

Original schematics had the hotel at nine stories and 208 rooms, but Patel said last week his company will now build a 10-story, 250-room Embassy Suites.

“We’ve tweaked the designs a little bit to get more rooms on just one extra floor,” he said. “We’re building it in-house, and next week we should get our drawings back from the architect, and starting Monday morning, we’re taking all bids for (subcontractors).”

Once BPR gets the drawings back from the designers, they will submit them to the city for plan review. In the meantime, Patel said he’ll be at work finalizing the financing for the hotel.

“Financing is looking good, we should be getting that together in the next month or so,” he said. “Our goal is to start – put shovels in the ground – within 90 days.”

Once construction begins, Patel said, his teams will be doing site work for three to four months before going vertical on the hotel. The entire construction period should wrap up in no more than 24 months, he said. So, if construction starts three months from now, the Embassy Suites will be welcoming guests in the spring of 2016.

The site, formerly home to an African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, has already been cleared, helping accelerate the construction process.

“Back about September we took the building down and then once the building came down we’ve been working on the drawings,” Patel said. “The drawings, the engineering, it takes time to go back and forth to do the best methods. Our goal all along was first quarter of 2014; from that standpoint, we’re still on schedule.”

While waiting for factors to converge so they could start work on the Charlotte hotel, BPR has been busy elsewhere in the region. Patel said his company in 2013 opened four Marriot-brand hotels, three in N.C. and one in Georgia. BPR also recently broke ground on three other hotels: one in Greensboro, one in Savannah, Ga. and another in Goldsboro.

BPR doesn’t have immediate plans for more work in Charlotte, but Patel said he’s keeping his eyes and ears open once the Embassy Suites is complete.

“We’re constantly looking at new markets in and around Charlotte,” he said. “Charlotte is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country, so we’re paying attention.”

• 2 weeks later...

Heavy equipment is still very active at the Fountains site.  But can someone tell me what they are doing with all that dirt on Stonewall, right next to South Blvd?  Is it related to Fountains?  They have been moving a ton of dirt around on the site.

Staging for Fountains indeed.

Is there really no usable lot that they would have preferred to use for staging? It seems odd to have to grade a large site like that just for staging for a project 3 blocks away. Maybe some kind of deal to get that site that much closer to sellable, killing two birds with one stone?

I was wondering that myself. If maybe the city agreed to let them use the site if they graded it flatter for a future development in the pipeline.

Edited by Guest

I was wondering that myself. If maybe the city agreed to let them use the site if they graded it flatter for a future development in the pipeline.

Isn't that the site that a hotel or apartments were reported last year or 2 years ago? It was reported it would be developed in a few years?

• 3 weeks later...