Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

Is Le Méridien still coming to the old Blake location??? On the Le Méridien site it shows some of the "coming soon" locations but Charlotte is not on there. Even the CLEVELAND one (look at Cleveland go) is on there and states it is opening in 2016. I think it might be safe to say we are no longer getting a Le Méridien.

Side note: the building the Le Méridien is going into in Columbus is awesome.

Edited by Jayvee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is Le Méridien still coming to the old Blake location??? On the Le Méridien site it shows some of the "coming soon" locations but Charlotte is not on there. Even the CLEVELAND one (look at Cleveland go) is on there and states it is opening in 2016. I think it might be safe to say we are no longer getting a Le Méridien.

Side note: the building the Le Méridien is going into in Columbus is awesome.

Apparently there is a career fair for Le Meridien today according to a career builder ad on the CO website. I guess it is still happening.

http://m.careerbuilder.com/job/J3F4FJ6FD1PG4T74HMR?APath=2.21.0.0.0&IPath=QHKV0A&SiteID=cbnsv&job_did=J3F4FJ6FD1PG4T74HMR&sc_cmp1=js_jrp_=yes

Edited by cltbwimob

Apparently there is a career fair for Le Meridien today according to a career builder ad on the CO website. I guess it is still happening.

http://m.careerbuilder.com/job/J3F4FJ6FD1PG4T74HMR?APath=2.21.0.0.0&IPath=QHKV0A&SiteID=cbnsv&job_did=J3F4FJ6FD1PG4T74HMR&sc_cmp1=js_jrp_=yes

It says opening November 2014, but it is still no where on their website. Why would they be so quiet about it? Is it because its an atrocious looking building??? So strange.

The words "Le Meridian"  are on the top side facing I-277/Target/Midtown area.

They appear to be simple black letters that are non illuminated.  It does appear

there is some more work taking place on top that may indicate more signage to come.

A google search results in Sheraton Charlotte Hotel and I do not yet see anything

on Starwood Hotels about the Le Meridian in Charlotte yet.  That tower is still refered to

as Charlotte Center City Hotel - North Tower.  The South Tower is the Sheraton Charlotte

Hotel.

Yeah I am hoping there is still more work to be done. This just seems so weird in that there is NO mention of it anywhere on Starwood. It seems like they're trying to rebrand this one, but also pretend it doesn't exist because the quality of the building and rooms don't live up to the Le Meridian name.

Agreed. This is over a year old, but it's all that I could find:

http://development.starwoodhotels.com/news/2/605-starwood_hotels_to_launch_dual-hotel_development_in_charlotte_north_carolina

The words "Le Meridian"  are on the top side facing I-277/Target/Midtown area.

They appear to be simple black letters that are non illuminated.  

But the signs on the Sheraton are black too, during the day. But at night they are actually back-lit in Red. Could be the same thing here.

• Like 1

A friend in the hotel industry (Marriott regional sales) said he had been told the Le Meridien won't be completed and re-branded until mid December at the earliest.  

FWIW, I was on McDowell St yesterday and the new entrance and lobby are moving along and look pretty cool.  I'm looking forward to the rooftop bar. Now THAT will be a good view!

A friend in the hotel industry (Marriott regional sales) said he had been told the Le Meridien won't be completed and re-branded until mid December at the earliest.  

FWIW, I was on McDowell St yesterday and the new entrance and lobby are moving along and look pretty cool.  I'm looking forward to the rooftop bar. Now THAT will be a good view!

Ah, well if there's that much time okay, but it is still so so strange it's not on the website when they have properties on there that arent opening until 2015. And the rooftop bar is going to be in the Le Meridian right?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I drove by the "Fountains" this afternoon. I noticed that there isn't a concrete slab between floors.  Is this normal since this is usually a sign of really cheap construction?  I can't imagine living in a five story building uptown with the footfall noise that will occur.  I believe that it is too late to soundproof the ceilings/floors at this stage.

Yeah that's almost every building in town short of the all-concrete constructed high rises and a few of the nicer South Park buildings. Having lived in one of the cheaper wood frame buildings in Southend for a year, the noise between floors was actually never an issue, but we could hear everything that happened in the hallway due to very thin doors. 

^Standard frame construction for rental product

I drove by the "Fountains" this afternoon. I noticed that there isn't a concrete slab between floors.  Is this normal since this is usually a sign of really cheap construction?  I can't imagine living in a five story building uptown with the footfall noise that will occur.  I believe that it is too late to soundproof the ceilings/floors at this stage.

Yeah, it's sad that so much "crap" is being built in what should be a high demand area like uptown. We will regret all those buildings capped at 7? stories in order to keep them wood. They'll never be suited for conversions given the low standards of construction.

^Honestly, I wouldn't consider Fountains to be in a "high demand area" part of uptown... It's in such an odd part of 2nd ward. Even if it was steel framed with insulation to prevent the noise of 277, it wouldn't be on my list of places to live in uptown. Even with Tryon Place and the other Crescent project nearby.

^Honestly, I wouldn't consider Fountains to be in a "high demand area" part of uptown... It's in such an odd part of 2nd ward. Even if it was steel framed with insulation to prevent the noise of 277, it wouldn't be on my list of places to live in uptown. Even with Tryon Place and the other Crescent project nearby.

I disagree. I would say it is pretty desirable now, but Tryon Place and the other project make it one of the most desirable anywhere. You're within walking distance to the Met, and is basically just as far from the center of uptown than Gateway or 1st ward. I would rather live here than Quarterside.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Don't forget the world doesnt end at 277.  This is very convenient to Morehead and Midtown shopping.  There is a ton of open space nearby including Pearl Park, Marshall Park, LSCGreenway, and places like Dowd and the soon to be renovated aquatic center.   It is within 1/2 mile/10 min walk to the light rail, streetcar, and a very large number of destinations and central business district, etc...

Also very close to Government offices hich current lack urban residential nearby, so there may be some demand.

Just because maybe you or I wouldnt and currently 2nd Ward is far far behind in development doesnt mean there is not going to be a market. 

I disagree. I would say it is pretty desirable now, but Tryon Place and the other project make it one of the most desirable anywhere. You're within walking distance to the Met, and is basically just as far from the center of uptown than Gateway or 1st ward. I would rather live here than Quarterside.

To each their own... Not my cup of tea given the other choices. Perhaps my opinion will change in 5 years when some of the other projects are built out. Just not now.