Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

But everyone has their own values for these things.   If you guys all chose hotels primarily on exterior architecture, and less the quality of the rooms themselves, more power to you.   :)

I agree...I have stayed at plenty of hotels that look horrible on the outside but are luxurious on the inside. And vice versa. There are some beautiful historic hotels in San Antonio, for example, which when you get to the room, you regret making the reservation.

And another example...even as of the highest regarded resorts in the US, and one that is beautiful on the outside, the Grand Floridian in Orlando, which charges upwards of $600/night, is waaaaaaaaay overrated - out of date rooms, uncomfortable beds/pillows, barely working A/C. But it looks nice from the outside and the lobby is pretty. I had a business conference there and spent two night in the hotel before my wife joined me in Orlando and we stayed at the Sheraton there for 1/6 the price. Not a pretty hotel by all means, but I can't begin to tell you how much more comfortable I was in that hotel than the crazy-expensive "elegant" Grand Floridian.

Starwood has standards. I have never stayed in a Starwood property that was run down, no matter what the brand (and I have stayed at way too many Starwood properties to count). And though they might not be big on the exterior, they aren't going to let those standards go on the interior for anything. I am sure that once inside, an experience at Le Meridien Charlotte would be that of any 5-star hotel. I don't worry one bit about the quality of the stay - my only worry is about the location, which is a bit far away from the action as far as restaurants, bars, and entertainment go.

• Like 1

I dont think anyone said they wouldn't stay at a hotel because the exterior is ugly but they would be inclined to assume that a ragtag exterior means the interior is probably in the same condition.

And. I think that's a reasonable assumption. First impression. Especially if you're scrolling through a list of hotels. You'd probably click on the nicer looking hotel, then check the ratings, the look at interior pictures then look at amenities, etc.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

How is the Embassy Suites construction coming along? Haven't seen any updates.

The elevator shaft is a story of two out of the ground and most of the rest of the subterranean work seems nearly done as that work is coming even with the surface.  I can try to get a picture, but they have fencing up.  Sometimes they have the gate open when I pass at 5:30am, but it is rarely light enough these days for a pic.

• Like 1

It's not selectable yet so I don't know more, but this was filed today, exciting, maybe???

Commercial Urban Uptown Mixed Use Development (UMUD)
Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center Renovation

HAH, probably not too exciting... 

It does look pretty utilitarian, like a Costco. Maybe they'll do something with the exterior.

Proposed renovations include:
  • Renovate and expand lobby
  • Renovate and expand fitness area
  • New family locker rooms
  • Renovate existing men’s and women’s locker rooms
  • New bleachers
  • Renovate 50-meter and warm pools, including:
    • New pool deck and finishes
    • New trench drain
    • New filtration system
    • New pool surfaces and flooring
    • New diving boards and starting blocks (50-meter)
    • New ultraviolet disinfection system (50-meter)
    • New bulkheads (50 Meter)
  • Upgrade gutter system (50-meter)
  • Improvements to mechanical, electrical, and telecommunication systems

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Aquatics/Documents/floor%20plan.pdf

Sorry guys.

Edited by Guest

Who uses this facility that they can afford these renovations?? Not a knock on the place, I am just curious.

Its actually known to host Olympic Athletes for training. Ryan Lochte moved here to train there. Its a very good facility. 

They actually are working on plans for a whole new complex, which will be among the best in the country, so that they can become a mecca for Swimming Training. Honestly, if they just sold their land, they would have PLENTY of money to build a new facility.

Edited by Guest

Its actually known to host Olympic Athletes for training. Ryan Lochte moved here to train there. Its a very good facility. 

They actually are working on plans for a whole new complex, which will be among the best in the country, so that they can become a mecca for Swimming Training. Honestly, if they just sold their land, they would have PLENTY of money to build a new facility.

Also, Michael Phelps participated in a number of meets there as well... So yea, it's a pretty big deal. Agree with RDF, if they sold their land they would be sitting on a pile of cash to do whatever they wanted.

Here's a little more about what's been going on inside those ugly walls.  I'm not a follower of swimming but it seems like this could become a gem for the city if SwimMAC's reputation keeps growing. Long read but a great article.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/February-2015/Marsh-Magic/

Edited by CarolinaCrown

Are they still planning on building a new facility outside of the city? I was thinking Huntersville, but I might be wrong.  I thought it might be similar to the Greensboro Aquatic Center.

Hate to say, but SwimMAC has nothing to do with MCAC. SwimMAC are the private facilities at Charlotte Latin and Huntersville and Lochte swims at Queens University.

That said, they MCAC uptown has always been busy when I have been there. Between masters swim, open lap swim, lessons/clinics, and swim teams...there is always a crowd. I use this pool when the Harris Y closes theirs in the spring for cleaning. It is also a much better deal to swim there than the YMCA (if that is all you use).  

Are they still planning on building a new facility outside of the city? I was thinking Huntersville, but I might be wrong.  I thought it might be similar to the Greensboro Aquatic Center.

They are building the new facility at the Langtree project in Mooresville.

• 1 month later...

Embassy Suites Uptown

This project receives the least amount of hoopla of any project I can recall. Though it has been a long time coming. I feel like we had renderings of Embassy Suites before BB&T stadium renderings

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

This project receives the least amount of hoopla of any project I can recall. Though it has been a long time coming. I feel like we had renderings of Embassy Suites before BB&T stadium renderings

I think the lack of hoopla is the result of this uninspiring project as a whole.  I'm happy it's a building and happy it's filling an empty hole...but that's about it.  It's kinda ugly and has no street presence.