Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

I think the lack of hoopla is the result of this uninspiring project as a whole. I'm happy it's a building and happy it's filling an empty hole...but that's about it. It's kinda ugly and has no street presence.

It's a nice filler project, it has decent amount of retail, will have a restaurant in the lobby in addition, 10 floors... I don't mind it. It's a little hospital looking, but every center city needs some variety.

It's a nice filler project, it has decent amount of retail, will have a restaurant in the lobby in addition, 10 floors... I don't mind it. It's a little hospital looking, but every center city needs some variety.

This.

But I mean, Mint has has had a good bit of hoopla and isn't anymore inspiring

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

This.

But I mean, Mint has has had a good bit of hoopla and isn't anymore inspiring

Mint was one of the first, and kind of felt like "the best we were going to get... The design was meh, but the materials were solid.

Embassy suites came around with a design we actually liked, then they added 50 rooms and two floors and somehow the design became less inspired and hospital like, so it fell out of favor. At one point people were excited.

Then better projects like Ascent, The Mint Crescent Uptown and Tryon Place came around, now that's all we care about.

I for one one and happy to see progress on embassy suites.

• 4 weeks later...

As this is a HUGE site and will be a major development, I figured it deserves its own thread

Giving the city EXACTLY what it needs with more apartments, Pollack Shores and the city have come to terms on the 4-acre site for the price of $12.2 million.

The city will use the money to pay back some of the NASCAR HOF loan, so thats good.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article19384599.html

As this is a HUGE site and will be a major development, I figured it deserves its own thread

Giving the city EXACTLY what it needs with more apartments, Pollack Shores and the city have come to terms on the 4-acre site for the price of $12.2 million.

The city will use the money to pay back some of the NASCAR HOF loan, so thats good.

I wonder if Pollack, or any upset bid, would hold on to the land or develop it rather quickly?

When I was a kid, I always wondered why Charlotte had NO apartment towers. We went to NYC, London and Paris a bunch, and there were always apartment buildings. I never understood why no one would build them downtown. Now I just want them to stop. Be careful what you wish for.

When I was a kid, I always wondered why Charlotte had NO apartment towers. We went to NYC, London and Paris a bunch, and there were always apartment buildings. I never understood why no one would build them downtown. Now I just want them to stop. Be careful what you wish for.

Being in accounting I feel stupid for what may seem like a common sense answer, but what's the problem with too many apartment towers being built? It may hurt the owners financially for overbuilding, but is there any negative effects for the city?

It seems to me like the city would benefit more from oversupply and maybe getting a more diverse income demographic into center city.

I think the issue is quality and the lack of retail and pedestrian consideration with the apartment projects, not so much the quantity of them. That being said, what is the deal with the parking lot across the street from this (the plot the Hampton/Hilton Garden sits on)??? I would assume with the MASSIVE developments along Stonewall, this lot is next.

Being in accounting I feel stupid for what may seem like a common sense answer, but what's the problem with too many apartment towers being built? It may hurt the owners financially for overbuilding, but is there any negative effects for the city?

It seems to me like the city would benefit more from oversupply and maybe getting a more diverse income demographic into center city.

Empty buildings with no revenue stream leads to empty buildings that turn into unmaintained blighted properties. Also, in a lot of cases we are also losing prime real estate to mammoth single use structures. Thats my main problem

My other problem is purely out of want. I want to buy a condo in uptown in a new building for investment purposes. Purchasable condos are in short supply.

It will be interesting to see what is proposed here in terms of scale... I always thought this lot would be a good opportunity to build something at least semi-iconic given it's location near the edge of 2nd ward and 277. Seems like a great chance to break the mold to go condo here instead of apartment. 

Empty buildings with no revenue stream leads to empty buildings that turn into unmaintained blighted properties. Also, in a lot of cases we are also losing prime real estate to mammoth single use structures. Thats my main problem

My other problem is purely out of want. I want to buy a condo in uptown in a new building for investment purposes. Purchasable condos are in short supply.

Yeah, I definitely think people are ready to buy again, but between the speculative apartments at Tryon Place, and Ascent & The Phoenix, I imagine one of those 3 becomes condos. Not saying its enough, but its a start. 

I agree this is a great site for condos, in that it will have incredible marketability to near by things like Whole Foods, Target, Trader Joes, Tryon Place, Nascar HOF, uptown in general and even a Wendy's!

Edited by Jayvee

It will be interesting to see what is proposed here in terms of scale... I always thought this lot would be a good opportunity to build something at least semi-iconic given it's location near the edge of 2nd ward and 277. Seems like a great chance to break the mold to go condo here instead of apartment. 

I alway will be very interested. Pollack shores has a long tradition of building the exact opposite of what I'd like to see here. 4-6 floor Apartment buildings with no retail. As ATLRVR mentioned in another post, this parcel is too large and expensive for that sort of thing to be feasible, so hopefully we see Pollack Shores partnering with a developer with more of a high rise pedigree, for instance, The Preston Group, who Crescent is partnering with for Crescent Uptown. The city has great guidelines for Stonewall, so I expect we will see retail on this site no matter what. 

Charlotte2020VisionPlan_Stonewall.jpg

I'll try to download a higher resolution version of this.

I think the issue is quality and the lack of retail and pedestrian consideration with the apartment projects, not so much the quantity of them. That being said, what is the deal with the parking lot across the street from this (the plot the Hampton/Hilton Garden sits on)??? I would assume with the MASSIVE developments along Stonewall, this lot is next.

This site is supposed to be another Convention Center Expansion one day. 

Edited by Guest

This site is supposed to be another Convention Center Expansion one day. 

Does the city own it?

And yeah given the standards along Stonewall, and the fact this is just too expensive for retail-less mid rise, I actually have high hopes for this site.

Off topic, but remind me, does Fountains have retail?

Edited by Jayvee

Does the city own it?

And yeah given the standards along Stonewall, and the fact this is just too expensive for retail-less mid rise, I actually have high hopes for this site.

Off topic, but remind me, does Fountains have retail?

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-24%20at%201.55.4

I don't think the city owns it yet. I'll find out, in the meantime, here is a larger version of the picture above.

I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here, but with all the continued interest along Stonewall and South Tryon I would love to see plans for the 277 cap dusted off. Even if it is just between Tryon and Caldwell.

I personally think, with the surging interest in the stonewall corridor, and just across the highway in SouthEnd, the plan will become more and more feasible. I think we are less than a decade away from this kind of project being truly considered. Personally I prefer the CAP being on the North East side of the city, I feel like that area could use the mojo more, and there'd be a narrower gap to fill. See below attached to see the plan for that cap.

post-17104-0-82859700-1429901525_thumb.p

More than anything I'm hopeful these projects can help bring the necessary foot traffic to make 2nd ward a viable neighborhood and ripe for even more development opportunities. It has taken forever to get any traction, and it still may take many more years, but this is a start! 

• Like 1