Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

12 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

1965 vs today. Same angle. This shows how much the city has changed with urban renewal of the 60s. It’s incredible how much was lost.

F23EB44B-0C95-44CB-8C88-86B41FE6EF23.png

4779715A-41EC-4C58-B625-869C62D14C67.jpeg

In the older photo Independence Boulevard comes from the southwest at an angle and turns right at Stonewall. Morehead St. is just out of view at the bottom of the photo. Note the rail lines through downtown. The large square flat top building on the left with a white roof was Young Ford dealer, or its progenitor. Much of Brooklyn was gone at the time of this photo and it is worth noting that the Thompson Childrens Orphanage lost (sold) much of its land in this same time period to this project as well as CPCC. I cannot identify the 5-6 story white building standing top right.

See here for photos of early Independence Boulevard and Charlotte streets in the 1950's:

http://www.gribblenation.com/ncpics/charlotte/indblvd/1950.html

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I cannot identify the 5-6 story white building standing top right.

See here for photos of early Independence Boulevard and Charlotte streets in the 1950's:

http://www.gribblenation.com/ncpics/charlotte/indblvd/1950.html

Is that not the telephone building?  Used to be Bell South, then AT&T ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

23 minutes ago, DMann said:

looks like someone put cones down.  Where exactly is this?

There are cones and fencing all around that lot on stonewall where the 26 floor tower is supposed to go in Brooklyn Village. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

I keep hearing that Bob Walton is coming down this summer. The timeline has changed a few times but workers at DSS are telling families that they are moving out this June along with other county services that  have already moved to the complex on Freedom. Is work actually set to start on that lot in 2019?

9 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

I thought Brooklyn Village was dead. 

why would you say that? Nobody as ever said it died. I suspect it never will die. It might be a little dormant right now. But its been said numerous times that they are still in due diligence with the county.

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, sakami said:

I keep hearing that Bob Walton is coming down this summer. The timeline has changed a few times but workers at DSS are telling families that they are moving out this June along with other county services that  have already moved to the complex on Freedom. Is work actually set to start on that lot in 2019?

20 years ago Walton was the repository for archived CMS student records. A current student asked me where he could access his transcript after graduation. I told him the Walton Center and his eyes widened. "BILL Walton?" he said. *sighing sadly* I said, yes.  {This thing happened}

10 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

20 years ago Walton was the repository for archived CMS student records. A current student asked me where he could access his transcript after graduation. I told him the Walton Center and his eyes widened. "BILL Walton?" he said. *sighing sadly* I said, yes.  {This thing happened}

Please don't judge me, but who is this and what happened?