Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

I sure hope so. I hate to see a tower be imploded with no replacement. Even if the tower currently standing isn't the most architecturally pleasing to the eyes.

A2

The older tower isn't so bad architecturally. It might need a little TLC, which is probably going to happen with this project. But the hotel is just a small piece of the plans we can expect from the owners. Residential towers and other uses should get built up around it and complement it.

The older tower isn't so bad architecturally. It might need a little TLC, which is probably going to happen with this project. But the hotel is just a small piece of the plans we can expect from the owners. Residential towers and other uses should get built up around it and complement it.

I know. I just hate seeing nice tall buildings go. :(

A2

I think the white stucco Adam's Mark building is far uglier than the Garden Inn on Caldwell. At least that Garden Inn has a bottom, middle, and top, and a fairly attractive brick base for the pedestrian streetscape.

Also, by tearing it down, 2nd Street can be extended into the site, which will allow for better connections to whatever gets built in place of Marshall Park.

On the positive side, it does finally offer a solution to Marshall Park and the CMS hq (what I've always assumed would the be most difficult entity to deal with). If this is the only way to get CMS to sell their building then I reluctantly support this, with the caveat that I wish almost ANYONE but Spectrum was involved in the development....it seems like a stucco-certainty.

I'll reply to the Second Ward aspects in this thread.

I agree that Spectrum's projects are a little dull, and they are overly eager to use stucco/EFIS. However, they did a good job with materials and design in Fifth and Poplar, where there was some pressure to improve the quality of design. Perhaps this will be part of the demands for their buildings in Second Ward. From what I can find in the Second Ward Master Plan, there isn't any prohibitions against stucco. However, they do say "exterior building materials should have a strong permanent character, and should include stone bases, sills, and metal and brick cornices." As the city plans to ask that the developers build in accordance with the Second Ward Master Plan, it seems that they could request a higher quality streetscape, and facade architecture and materials list.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the 2nd Ward Plan is a little old, I thought I'd share again some of the renderings and designs of the master plan.

If the land deal goes through, Mass Mutual/Spectrum would be building out the part of this plan between 2nd, 3rd, McDowell, and Alexander. They will supposedly build in accordance with the master plan, which has some specific details on architecture, materials, and massing. Hopefully the city will get at minimum a gentleman's agreement to do so, if not a contract.

Here is the master site plan:

82837190_00f0bb3975.jpg

Here is the land use plan:

82837189_f96136d384.jpg

Here is a concept of an enhanced intersection at Caldwell and 2nd (They labeled it wrong), which would be by the Nascar HOF

82837188_a7d066a775.jpg

Here is the massing concepts and renderings after full build out:

82837461_5c23a417f2.jpg

82837186_87e6e72a36_o.jpg

Here would be a cross section of Stonewall Street:

82837465_1b99834866.jpg

82837464_30040091fb.jpg

Stonewall and McDowell intersection:

82837463_2f097469e0.jpg

A smaller neighborhood park for second ward that would include the renovated gym of the historic Second Ward High School:

82837187_9e4a6ebfe9.jpg

Obviously, the way master plans work is that they rarely represent the specific architecture of the final product. However, it gives an idea of the scope, scale, street grid, and general design guidelines that are listed as part of the approved plan.

Dubone, do you still happen to have the renderings of the park that would go over a capped I-277 that was also presented along with the 2nd Ward Master Plan presentation to that County Commission meeting?

Yes. I think that is on the radar for 2050. Also, the plan goes out the window if someone builds something on the block between the Observer and the Westin. That is where Reflections Tower was presented, but that never seemed to take off.

post-670-1136551904_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by Adam's Mark tonight, and it is the first time I've really noticed how dark and empty it is. It is a little creepy.

Same thing's going on at Fifth & Poplar while they are converting it. It is weird walking past that place at night...it is so dead, a place that used to be really lively.

As I posted on the MLB baseball thread, this proposal is even worse than the last......but for those that are really curious to see this visually, go to Long's Dy Cleaners at the corner of Morehead and Dilworth Rd. They have a large rendering in their produced by LandDesign.

amazing idea, I had been discounting the article thinking it was about the nights, shame on me.... GO MARLINS!

Just wait til the panthers win the super bowl then we'll get even more momentum under the national and international spotlight

Edited by Rickydavisfan21

As I posted on the MLB baseball thread, this proposal is even worse than the last......but for those that are really curious to see this visually, go to Long's Dy Cleaners at the corner of Morehead and Dilworth Rd. They have a large rendering in their produced by LandDesign.

Interesting. What's the connection between Long's and Reese?

You can also download Reese's presentation here:

http://www.charmeck.nc.us/Departments/BOCC...as/06-01-18.htm

So what's Jerry's background? According to his website, http://www.lawyers.com/tryonlegalgroup,

he's from Hickory and he's had a lot of academic success. Where's he getting the money for the renderings and such?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.theblakehotel.net/

I must have misread, or it was misreported, but I had thought that the Blake was going to operate in the older tower closest to Stonewall. I think it has more going for it architecturally, and by tearing down the newer stucco building, the redevelopment could have a street that aligned with 2nd Street. Considering the Blakes website only shows the white stucco building, I guess this was not to be.

:(

http://www.theblakehotel.net/

I must have misread, or it was misreported, but I had thought that the Blake was going to operate in the older tower closest to Stonewall. I think it has more going for it architecturally, and by tearing down the newer stucco building, the redevelopment could have a street that aligned with 2nd Street. Considering the Blakes website only shows the white stucco building, I guess this was not to be.

:(

That's too bad. They've got a cool site though.

• 1 month later...

South Davidson Street is pretty much done now, although they still have it closed off.

60272808-L.jpg

60272811-L.jpg

The old Metro school is being torn down now. Hopefully they'll rebuild Alexander Street through there soon.

60272806-L.jpg

60272806-L.jpg

The road work at 277 and Stonewall is moving along nicely

60272793-L.jpg

60272800-L.jpg

60272797-L.jpg