Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what is going on with the Blake Hotel? I saw other hotels run by the same operator on www.nychotels.com, but The Blake doesn't even look close to being like these places (at least from the outside). I think both of the towers are eyesores - the north tower has no character and south tower could at least be cleaned up a bit. And the banner hanging from the top of the buildings that they are using as a sign...that's just tacky for it to be up there this long. Are they actually working on changing this thing to a "boutique" hotel or just sitting on the property?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going on with the Blake Hotel? I saw other hotels run by the same operator on www.nychotels.com, but The Blake doesn't even look close to being like these places (at least from the outside). I think both of the towers are eyesores - the north tower has no character and south tower could at least be cleaned up a bit. And the banner hanging from the top of the buildings that they are using as a sign...that's just tacky for it to be up there this long. Are they actually working on changing this thing to a "boutique" hotel or just sitting on the property?

North Tower is shut down for now and the South tower is under renovation. SHould be another 4 months before they are done with the south tower including the rooms with new carpets, wall covers, drapes, ect... When you can afford to by the Sears Tower, you can afford to take your time in the renovations. $47.2mm they paid for all 14.2 acres of land, including the Office building, I would just take my time as well. Watch and see what comes next in there plans for the entire block

Edited by NVQ

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The Coffee Cup is moving to the ground floor of the Cameron Brown building, and will open Friday morning.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

They signed a 10 year lease for 1,400 sq. ft. and will offer outside dining.

No offense to the Coffee Cup, but I don't see this going well.

Has anyone heard an updated on Mr. Chetrit's plan for the Cameron Brown and Blake Hotel?

The Coffee Cup is moving to the ground floor of the Cameron Brown building, and will open Friday morning.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

They signed a 10 year lease for 1,400 sq. ft. and will offer outside dining.

No offense to the Coffee Cup, but I don't see this going well.

Has anyone heard an updated on Mr. Chetrit's plan for the Cameron Brown and Blake Hotel?

I worked in that building for a short stint...they'll get plenty of business from the building itself, but i can't imagine where else. That parking lot is too much of a pain to get in and out of for people to make a special trip to go to the namesake of *Coffee Cup* and there is no other foot traffic other than those in the building. The cafe that was there did a good business with the folks in the building, but from what I could tell that was about it. You can't see the restaurant space (unless it is a newly created space from ground level office space) from anywhere other than an interior hallway in the basement.

The courthouse is only a block away. Judges, lawyers, non-sequestered jurors are going to flock to the Coffee Cup. They don't have all that many options right there. What else is there? They can only go to Showmars and Green's so many times before getting sick of it.

Edited by Raintree21

^ And Quiznos :) Eventually the 2nd Ward redevelopment will help out, but in my mind, I agree whole-heartedly with what Charlotte Native said....it's too damn hard to park there and not a convenient location (its on 3rd which is a going home road, not easy to get to in the morning). I don't see the faitful going through the agravation, and I'm not sure how likely they are to generate a new faithful....at least not for a while.

Maybe I'm confused but wasn't it the operators of the Coffee Cup that where fighting to save their business from the wrecking ball a few months ago? As I recall, the owners didn't want the building deemed historical it was the current operator. Now a couple of months later the operator decides to abandon this 'historically significant cinder block building' to move into a tower uptown. What gives? <_<

I guess Beazer -- or whoever it may be that does the final development -- will be applying to demo the building. Doesn't it take a year to reverse the historical status? I never was keen on keeping the building. I think that the business was locally nostalgic but the building wasn't historically significant. (I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree on with me.)

Maybe I'm confused but wasn't it the operators of the Coffee Cup that where fighting to save their business from the wrecking ball a few months ago? As I recall, the owners didn't want the building deemed historical it was the current operator. Now a couple of months later the operator decides to abandon this 'historically significant cinder block building' to move into a tower uptown. What gives? <_<

I guess Beazer -- or whoever it may be that does the final development -- will be applying to demo the building. Doesn't it take a year to reverse the historical status? I never was keen on keeping the building. I think that the business was locally nostalgic but the building wasn't historically significant. (I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree on with me.)

If any of you ate at The Coffee Cup, you might have a different opinion of it. The counter stools were broken, the grill was half clean, years of grease build up was incredible. I doubt it could pass an inspection. I am all for retaining things for posterity, but not at the expense of health.

UD

I'm a little perturbed at this turn of events, in that it really cheapens the long battle for preservation that ended up saving the Cup. I understand that business is business, and I'm sure that they ran into major problems once they were isolated in a construction zone, but if they were hanging on by a thread and likely to close in a matter of weeks they could have made a different appeal to the public. Now we have an empty, dilapidated building and a cafe' hidden in the basement of an '80s style tower. Not a big "win" for Charlotte, even if it was a loss for Beazer.

The courthouse is only a block away. Judges, lawyers, non-sequestered jurors are going to flock to the Coffee Cup. They don't have all that many options right there. What else is there? They can only go to Showmars and Green's so many times before getting sick of it.

I'd be surprised if this happened. The Coffee Cup was known for its location and history as much if not more for its food. It is basic diner food and there are far more options around the courthouse that most are aware of that serve the same stuff. The courthouse itself has a cafeteria, most surrounding buildings do as well or they have an in-house diner like the space Coffee Cup is taking over in Cameron Brown or like Showmars and Green's like you've mentioned. The buildings across from the old courthouse and new jail have cafes that the attorney's, judges, and others are already used to going to as their regular lunch place. I can't remember the names of them, they really aren't very memorable, but it is where we ate daily when I worked down there.

I am not hoping Coffee Cup won't do well, but this location is horrible (if it is the basement unit as I think it is...). Go to the building and check it out for yourself.

North Tower is shut down for now and the South tower is under renovation. SHould be another 4 months before they are done with the south tower including the rooms with new carpets, wall covers, drapes, ect... When you can afford to by the Sears Tower, you can afford to take your time in the renovations. $47.2mm they paid for all 14.2 acres of land, including the Office building, I would just take my time as well. Watch and see what comes next in there plans for the entire block

Someone with $47mil could at least spring for a better banner and magnetic signs for the side of their vans. The place really looks like a dump. Well, they did put some clever colored sticks in pottery beside the front door...

Maybe this should go in another thread, but it I noticed today that the Coffee Cup is also taking over a location in University off N. Tryon that used to be Junior's Chicken and Waffles. They were setting up today and an employee told me they plan to open next week. They should do good business there.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure anyone has posted it, but the County is looking to sell Walton Plaza. They have been received unsolicited inquiries from developers interested in the property and have no decided to move county functions out to Freedom Mall, and to relocate the school functions there to whatever office space the CMS headquarter's relocation occupies.

This would be a major boost in my opinion, as it occupies an extrordinary amount of land for such a small (ugly) building. This would be a good spot for several mid/high-rises. I hope that any redevelopment of the site would include an additional street running adjacent to 277 between McDowell and Alexander.

I'm not sure anyone has posted it, but the County is looking to sell Walton Plaza. They have been received unsolicited inquiries from developers interested in the property and have no decided to move county functions out to Freedom Mall, and to relocate the school functions there to whatever office space the CMS headquarter's relocation occupies.

This would be a major boost in my opinion, as it occupies an extrordinary amount of land for such a small (ugly) building. This would be a good spot for several mid/high-rises. I hope that any redevelopment of the site would include an additional street running adjacent to 277 between McDowell and Alexander.

I think this is a great idea. I think this parcel was marked as "also available" in the video that was posted on the NASCAR Hall of Fame thread (since moved to another thread) of land the city was trying to sell around the new South Blvd./277 interchange.

Good! That is quite a bit of land and a very depressing building inside and out. If this were to happen, Second Ward is really lining up to be quite a place. It would also help fill in the big void between most of center city and the stuff at Midtown. As it is the walk there is pretty dull.

I'm reading this to say that the county has decided to move function to Freedom Mall? That's how it sounds from the overall tenor of your post.

Having that parcel developed, along with redevelopment of Marshall Park, will go a long way to extending the built environment of Uptown eastward.

I'm shocked they ever considered moving Hal Marshall functions to this building. It has been a no brainer to sell for a long time, with the only exception being to pull a Levine and be the last to develop/sell so you get the best possible price.

It would be smart to hitch the wagon to the city's effort to sell all the land nearby, since that has a sizeable marketing budget (based on the website) and will be marketed nationally.

I would say, though, that if people are buying it just to keep it (like Chetrit seemed to do with the Adam's Mark land) and sit on the land, then I'd just rather the county keep it and keep using the space for a while.

• 3 months later...

So it looks like the blake hotel is actually getting some life. I drove by today and its really starting to look 'Funky.' And I mean that in the best way possible! It seems they are painting it two tones of cool grey, with a giant negative space tilted white square cast accross the majority of the building. I noticed the change today, and it looks like it is still a work in progress so I can't wait to see the result, I always wondered how they would improve the hotel. If I remember my camera I will try to get a shot of it tommorrow.