Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

So it looks like the blake hotel is actually getting some life. I drove by today and its really starting to look 'Funky.' And I mean that in the best way possible! It seems they are painting it two tones of cool grey, with a giant negative space tilted white square cast accross the majority of the building. I noticed the change today, and it looks like it is still a work in progress so I can't wait to see the result, I always wondered how they would improve the hotel. If I remember my camera I will try to get a shot of it tommorrow.

I noticed this today as well. It looks like dammit. I really hope it ends up looking like this:

rotated-squares.png

• 5 months later...

Wow....unbelievable....they really are going to leave the main path through the park as concrete.....not even textured/stamped concrete...regular old saw-cut concrete.

The planners want to consider it 'The Evocative Spine'. What we didn't know during the public meetings, however, was that what they were trying to evoke was that warm uplifting feeling of walking on a standard suburban sidewalk.

For those unfamiliar with what concrete sidewalks look like, since I know they are unique, here is an example from a power plant:

http://www.ci.burbank.ca.us/agendas/ag_council/Image4.jpg

Of course, just like in the public meetings, when they try to hide the bad decisions from the forefront, the pictures they show on the next slide are of granite pavers and flagstone pavers. They only use granite as a liner in some small sections, and only use flagstone under the arbor and in a tiny path near the bathrooms. Yet, there is no picture of the 'hardscape' material that will be 90%+ of the hardscaping. Sure, they use Mt. Airy granite for the steps in the grass, but guess what? That granite is going to be chipped to pieces by landscapers cutting the grass every other week.

That white uniform color might look okay for a neighborhood out in sprawlville where only a few people will walk on it in a given day. But take a look at any urban sidewalk that uses that material. You'll see that in every square yard there are easily dozens of black splotch marks from someone's spit out gum. You'll see stains all over the place and cracks all over the place. It is like putting white carpetting in the lobby of the arena. We all know it is going to look fine in the pictures before the place opens, but will look like crape just a few months after opening. That is the reason they always choose more durable materials that have lots of color variations to hide any stains or blemishes from wear. There are plenty of gum splotches on the paver sidewalks of Tryon Street, but the pattern is complex enough that it doesn't feel dirty.

If they 'sawcut' a cobblestone pattern or something, then it is a little better. But that is not what they show. Instead, they show large sections of white concrete that will looks identical to your parents' driveway.

The people in "Uptown South" ought to be mad that their park that was promised as a high quality place has been cheapened in this way.

(I do like the rest, though).

I'm sure if someone would be willing to donate some money they would be glad to put in something other than concrete for the main pathway. Any takers?

I think I posted an idea a while ago about this. Bricks, like at the NASCAR HofF could be used by people donating to something like Breast Cancer or Cleaning the Air or whatever for that matter, in return they get one brick with their name on it or something along those lines. Get corporate sponsors like Novare, Wachovia, BofA, whatever to donate for any missing bricks if there are any. A little can go a long way. Even at a dollar a brick or 5 dollars a brick, that would well make up the cost of bricks. If a brick company or engraver would donate some of the time and effort, and take like half the cut could possibly receieve tax breaks possibly. Just an underlying idea, certainly the ideas are endless.

This would ultimately show good patronage, city dedication, and be a whole attraction in itself.

Edited by Andyc545

Not only was it not a good idea, it is incredibly expensive. A small hedge maze is much more cost effective.

Spartan, maybe I am crazy, but what I posted and the responses were to Bearden Park, the 3rd Ward Park across from Catalyst.

I moved those posts back to the Bearden Park thread.

• 4 months later...

The CBJ is reporting that First Bapitst is planning to sell or long-term lease their surface lot across S Davidson from their main building. They have been in talks with developer(s) about a mixed use project wrapping a parking deck that will actually increase parking for their Church for use on Sunday. They plan to move forward.....when the economy improves.

I'm glad they are being somewhat proactive with their land assets, and hopefully First Presby will take notice, though I guess the concensus was the 1st Presby wants their lot for a future building.

• 3 months later...

Anyone know if/what they are blasting in Uptown? This morning when I was coming back from a meeting around 9a.m. I was trying to turn right onto Caldwell to get onto 277. The road was blocked for several minutes with engineers standing on the site diagonal from the Nascar HoF, and several police cars were on the opposite side of 277 (where it turns into South Blvd.). I heard two blasts and then they allowed traffic to cross the freeway.

• 3 years later...

While I was let down by the Fountains Uptown project, it was always going to be a really really tough parcel to develop. I'm sure them buying to really cheap from the city helped accelerate its viability, but I alway thought it would be the very last parcel to be developed in Uptown.

We can discuss more about the Proffit Dixon's Fountains at Stonewall project here, even though it is pretty much the only 2nd Ward project happening right now.

http://www.housingstudio.com/Project?id=aa6611e5-4203-4b86-a774-f479776e47a7

I am really surprised that they opted to face a large number of apartments toward the freeway rather than fronting Stonewall and McDowell. Other than the odd layout, 6ish stories is a really good amount of density for what I always assumed was a throwaway parcel. From an uptown-perspective it is far away, but interestingly it makes sense as having such close proximity to Dilworth and Midtown, which makes it far more convenient location.

^^I think the back will be a parking deck with single-lined hallways. The only double-lined hallways should be the building's fingers about the courtyards facing McDowell and Stonewall. Plus, since the Aquatic Center sits up from the street on the opposite corner, skyline views are likely enhanced by siting the building a bit back from the intersection.

Somewhat random question, but why don't we see more rooftop amenity areas in these developments? The only fully-realized ones I'm aware of are Ashton (and it is AMAZING, I wish my friends still lived there), Arlington, and a small rooftop deck at Camden Dilworth. Millenium and Circle have roof access from their parking decks where people sometimes bring chairs to hang out, but there are no amenities there.

I know it's probably just a cost issue, but it would seem like a really big selling point for the uptown projects in particular.

Edited by nonillogical

The Garrison has a lesser rooftop deck, with hottubs (if they are still there) and a killer view (mainly because you can't see the back of Garrison from it).

I was even surprised to see that the new Midtown building at 3rd & Kings had their pool in a courtyard surrounded by units rather a deck with a skyline view. A lot of times these views from the amenity level make up for lesser views in some units.