Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../13/story1.html

The CBJ story on the buyer for then Adams Mark and Cameron Brown building is now up.

Although there aren't many details on what they will do, it appears that quite a bit of money will be spent on this land to make it work.

It is interesting that they count Marshall Park as such a positive. Perhaps that park can succeed after all, if residential density makes its way to that corner.

I also wonder if baseball would suddenly be more interested in 2nd ward land (almost entirely owned by CMS, Meck Cty, and Charlotte) with all the people, offices, etc. that could go here.

This project can single-handedly start 2nd Ward residential momentum. CMS and County land can start being sold in small packages working back from McDowell. There are really just the 2 CMS office buildings, and the aquatic center. Parhaps they can start with the land for the old Metro School, which will be torn down when construction finishes this year.

It is interesting that they count Marshall Park as such a positive.  Perhaps that park can succeed after all, if residential density makes its way to that corner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's all about viewsheds. It's a beautiful view of uptown...one that's used over and over again in pubications, movies, tv commercials, etc. Add residential to the mix of Second Ward and the park could work as a place for people to actually use.

i wonder if it will reverse the plans from the 2nd Ward park to remove marshall park and replace it with a smaller park around the gym of the old second ward high school (decimated by urban renewal).

My biggest problem with marshall park is the big parking lot that shares the block. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=charlotte&ll...07693&t=k&hl=en

if that can be converted to either more park, or baseball, or some attractive urban project, then marshall park would seem much nicer. One major benefit for keeping marshall park vs. building a new smaller one is that the trees have been growing there for decades. That cycle would have to start all over again for a new park.

The CharMeck Govt District masterplan calls for CMS central offices to be moved along Trade and 4th Street area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if they would be looking for a tower there. I know that many years ago, I read somewhere that the city and county offices were to be put into another building similar to the triangle gov't bldg in the gov't district. Here's a pic of the bldg I am speaking of. It would be identicle from what I understand. But heck, what do I know???

governmentcenter.jpg

Edited by A219724

the problem is, CMS needs a couple billion dollars for new schools. no way people will put up with a new OFFICE building...ie. overhead for overhead.

Frankly, i think about half the downtown staff should simply be eliminated, as it does absolutely nothing for education... but assuming that that will not happen, these employees should either be distributed at various schools, go to the Freedom Mall complex, or some other low-level office space or a vacant school building or warehouse on the transit corridor or something.

the problem is, CMS needs a couple billion dollars for new schools.  no way people will put up with a new OFFICE building...ie. overhead for overhead. 

Frankly, i think about half the downtown staff should simply be eliminated, as it does absolutely nothing for education... but assuming that that will not happen, these employees should either be distributed at various schools, go to the Freedom Mall complex, or some other low-level office space or a vacant school building or warehouse on the transit corridor or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could not agree more. I think moving them to the Freedom mall complex might be the smartest move. It might even help that blighted area come back to life. Isn't there a super wall mart going there now???

freedom mall is now owned by the county and will eventually be county offices to replace hal marshall and other downtown stuff.

Super walmart will go a mile or two south of freedom mall. it will be at ashley and wilkinson and is u/c and is on the west transit corridor.

I wonder if they would be looking for a tower there. I know that many years ago, I read somewhere that the city and county offices were to be put into another building similar to the triangle gov't bldg in the gov't district. Here's a pic of the bldg I am speaking of. It would be identicle from what I understand. But heck, what do I know???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's correct, though most of that plan has gone out the window......still, I'm counting on them building us a decent downtown post office.

I agree that CMS owns so many buildings around the city that they could easily renovate one to fit their needs......and sell their current building and land in 2nd Ward to cover the cost, and probably even make some money.

freedom mall is now owned by the county and will eventually be county offices to replace hal marshall and other downtown stuff. 

Super walmart will go a mile or two south of freedom mall.  it will be at ashley and wilkinson and is u/c and is on the west transit corridor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for the clarification dubone... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nope......It's still going forward, but it will be a long time before the specific details of what will eventually be done are finalized.....it's just conceptual now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

atrlvr is there going to be any news on the Adam's mark project within the next 6-12 months, or do you see this as a wait and see game by the buyer? I am sure the owner is content just to pay his tax bill and collect his "rent" from current tenents. ;)

A2

It's official, the Adam's Mark has been sold for $47.5mm.

That's all to report on it at this point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks MC. I know you guys will throw some crumbs out when you get em. :thumbsup:

A2

Edited by A219724

• 1 month later...