Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

For the "Brooklyn Village" development, the county has narrowed down the list of possible developers to three-Crescent, Citisculpt, and Conformity.  I  can't wait to see what designs come about from all three developers, but given Crescent's level of involvement along Stonewall, I think they have the best chance to provide an optimum design that would work synergistically with their other projects close by. 

6 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

For the "Brooklyn Village" development, the county has narrowed down the list of possible developers to three-Crescent, Citisculpt, and Conformity.  I  can't wait to see what designs come about from all three developers, but given Crescent's level of involvement along Stonewall, I think they have the best chance to provide an optimum design that would work synergistically with their other projects close by. 

Those are all three great developers who are very interested in doing what's beneficial for the community.  I have high hopes for this project.

Congrats to formerly active and continued lurker and urban planet poster Conformity. Glad to see your company is still active. The hard hat tours we got of southborough back in the day were awesome! This would be a huge step for them. Going from a $85M project as their most expensive to a likely over $600M project.

hopefully this gets conformity to come out at start posting again 

Edited by Guest

Given the fact that this entire area's concept is riding on the idea of reviving an old village-style urban neighborhood, they're setting their own bar very, very high with what to expect in the finished product. I'm hoping this will get pretty close to that bar since this is publicly-owned land that's involved. CCP has been hitting all the right talking points lately in regards to vision.

One significant thing that can't be under-emphasized is that all three of these finalist developers are based in Charlotte. The more local the better.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Honestly my Vision for this section of town would be a much better done 1st Ward Garden District. With a smattering of Townhouses under 500k, a few midrise apartments here and there, "main street style" retail and commercial, with a "central park, acting as a town square, a uptown high school and nothing above 10 floors in height. 

I knew nothing about Conformity.  However,  after viewing their website and seeing all the great work they've done, I think they would be awesome for this project given the desire to return the area to its former glory

Veering slightly off topic-After seeing all the beautiful historical work they've done, I wish they could somehow get their hands on  Polk State and the Builders building over on West Trade.  Those two buildings deserve a conscientious developer that could bring out their true architectural beauty rather than demolishing them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Put will it be Charlotte Beige 'tis the question... 

I think we can all make an educated guess as to the nature of the color palate and construction materials given the description.  I'll bet we can guess what kind of things will occupy the retail spots as well.  

I was thinking maybe of starting a #nomorebeige campaign, but honestly I think some developers are so tone deaf that they would simply change the color palate not realizing that beige is just a single word description of all things sh!++y in apartment construction such as boring color, poor construction quality, token retail or lack of retail altogether, cars behind bars, and terrible street presence in general.  Changing that requires a lot more than simply choosing an exterior color from a different part of the color wheel, but unfortunately some developers never seem to get that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I think we can all make an educated guess as to the nature of the color palate and construction materials given the description.  I'll bet we can guess what kind of things will occupy the retail spots as well.  

I was thinking maybe of starting a #nomorebeige campaign, but honestly I think some developers are so tone deaf that they would simply change the color palate not realizing that beige is just a single word description of all things sh!++y in apartment construction such as boring color, poor construction quality, token retail or lack of retail altogether, cars behind bars, and terrible street presence in general.  Changing that requires a lot more than simply choosing an exterior color from a different part of the color wheel, but unfortunately some developers never seem to get that.

I can't even drive or walk by the Mint in 3rd ward anymore.  I just boil with anger.  What an absolute waste of that corner.  The portion of the building that faces the ballpark is such a missed opportunity that it blows my mind.  I imagine one day you'll have a nice brick hotel/office space across the street on the ballpark land and then just this dead sidewalk fronting the Mint.  It's actually going to make it challenging to create any type of atmosphere along 4th street.

Add in Woodfield, and we have all the makings of a deadzone surrounding the baseball field.  Sad.

20 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I can't even drive or walk by the Mint in 3rd ward anymore.  I just boil with anger.  What an absolute waste of that corner.  The portion of the building that faces the ballpark is such a missed opportunity that it blows my mind.  I imagine one day you'll have a nice brick hotel/office space across the street on the ballpark land and then just this dead sidewalk fronting the Mint.  It's actually going to make it challenging to create any type of atmosphere along 4th street.

Add in Woodfield, and we have all the makings of a deadzone surrounding the baseball field.  Sad.

Nothing is worse than MLK between the Knights Stadium and the Residence Inn. Last time I walked over there, there was a whole mob of unsavory folks milling about.

On 12/17/2015 at 6:20 PM, Jayvee said:

I don't care about the theater, I care about not getting another project as awful as Presley.

What gets me is that the Presley actually has some redeeming construction above street level, namely that the balconies are structural and not just jutting pieces of concrete and railing (looks a little South Park-y but better than most Southend buildings). However I knew from the start that the diagonal orientation of it meant that they never were going to make even a half-hearted attempt at good street presence. 

1 hour ago, nonillogical said:

What gets me is that the Presley actually has some redeeming construction above street level, namely that the balconies are structural and not just jutting pieces of concrete and railing (looks a little South Park-y but better than most Southend buildings). However I knew from the start that the diagonal orientation of it meant that they never were going to make even a half-hearted attempt at good street presence. 

I have to say, being a HUGE opponent of this project, I took a special hard hat tour of the property and I was actually very impressed with the street presence.

• Along stonewall you have the waterfall feature as well as it will have big trees that will cover the wall and blend in with the waterfall.
  • In that triangle section between the property and the 277 bridge there is going to be a public sculpture garden
  • There is 4000 SF of space that is able to be/and planned to be, converted to retail should the need arise (fire rated, concrete top, etc)
  • The ground floor at Stonewall & McDowell is not just the leasing lobby, but also resident space with floor to ceiling glass that will help activate the street
  • The pool deck has a "side walk" look out where residents can stand out over and "interact" with the sidewalk below (I hope this isn't taken advantage of with residents throwing things and such)
  • Resident "front lawn" on McDowell will help pedestrians too
  • No cars behind bars, garage is completely concealed on stonewall

Could it be better? Sure, but honestly apart from Camden Gallery this project does more to activate the pedestrian level than any other project around town. There is going to be a tree lawn and sidewalk, while I generally would like hard scape, the traffic is moving SO fast here, and there is already a bike lane, I think a tree lawn works.

Also, with their Actor's Theater site project, there will be a 22 foot setback!!

Edited by Jayvee