Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

13 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I like these projects. The townhomes look really nice, too bad they don't have more space to sit out front. Although I realize it will be a very loud location and probably not a very pleasant place to be outside with South Blvd + the interstate loop.

Yeah I thought that as well. But with 28 of them I bet there will be some with killer views. Id love to see the site plan. 

12 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Wow, that midrise is good looking and has retail. No complaints.

Cant wait to see renderings for the 3rd. Decent height. Stonewall is going to have lots of retail

Right now I have it well over 100k between Tryon place, WF, NR site and actors theatre site. 

Edited by Jayvee

Great looking projects. Thank you for the updates!

So does anyone know the full extent of the Brooklyn Village branding that should be happening with all these projects (the originally city/county owned parcels)? I know it was stated to include ~15% lower-middle-income requirements, and the old gym is being turned into a museum. Has anyone heard anything about memorials/placards being placed around 2nd ward, etc? . If they go all out with the branding, but don't do many things with real heart, it will feel like a cheap marketing gimmick. But if they don't do branding at all, then it's like they aren't acknowledging the cultural genocide that really happened.

Not to change the conversation too much, but it's been on my mind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Great looking projects. Thank you for the updates!

So does anyone know the full extent of the Brooklyn Village branding that should be happening with all these projects (the originally city/county owned parcels)? I know it was stated to include ~15% lower-middle-income requirements, and the old gym is being turned into a museum. Has anyone heard anything about memorials/placards being placed around 2nd ward, etc? . If they go all out with the branding, but don't do many things with real heart, it will feel like a cheap marketing gimmick. But if they don't do branding at all, then it's like they aren't acknowledging the cultural genocide that really happened.

Not to change the conversation too much, but it's been on my mind.

Well one of our own posters Is heavily involved in one of the proposals. He is one of the most thoughtful and mindful developers I've ever known, so if his proposal wins, I can guarantee you that there will be a lot of thought put into Brooklyn Village. Maybe there is something he can add, I'll ask him if he can contribute anything.

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Yeah I thought that as well. But with 28 of them I bet there will be some with killer views. Id love to see the site plan. 

Not sure who the developer is for Camden Townhouses, but I wonder if it would be possible at this early stage to reconfigure the elevations and allow for the rooftop terraces to face in the direction of the Stadium.  I think that would be a better view than looking toward the Metropolitan but great views either way.

2 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

Not sure who the developer is for Camden Townhouses, but I wonder if it would be possible at this early stage to reconfigure the elevations and allow for the rooftop terraces to face in the direction of the Stadium.  I think that would be a better view than looking toward the Metropolitan but great views either way.

There are 28 of them.  I see 12 here, and its a crescent lot, its possible some of them will face the stadium/277.  I'm imagining there will be a big retaining wall facing 277, and they will fill in the land to flatten the parcel a bit.

Edited by Guest

The townhomes on South Blvd by 277 are will be built and owned by Camden Properties the owner of the adjacent apartments. I think they will do really go as rentals as something different than an apartment flat. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/12/camden-planning-rental-townhome-project-next-to.html

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to see Brooklyn Village resemble a real neighborhood, with lots of new streets. Aparments above small business spaces. I'd like to see townhouses lining streets too. A really authentic neighborhood. 

1st wards garden district lacks character

On May 8, 2016 at 0:23 AM, Conformity said:

The scope of the Brooklyn taking:

..........Or so I thought.  Working to get images to "take".

Brooklyn Map Master.enhanced.mr.v2.jpg

Its still amazing to me that an urban planner looked at what was built here and thought what is currently in 2nd ward was the answer. You walk down Brevard and see the wonderful Grace AME Zion Church and the buildings beside it. Such a awful tragedy. I'm glad that there are active attempts at bringing back some sort of neighborhood atmosphere. I would love to see a build out similar to the area surrounding Copley Square in Back Bay. 

Is it possible that 2nd Ward was seen as a slum when it was "revitalized"? Would the city leaders of that day have thought there was no way to save what was there and that the proximity to uptown gave the city a bad name? When some of us comment that we'd like to see this become a neighborhood again, I suspect we really wouldn't want what was there before in the condition it was in. Now, I'm really just asking this as a question. I wasn't alive when Brooklyn was torn down. I certainly don't like what replaced it, but I do understand that urban planners of that day were taught to do exactly what they did...so I don't really blame them for what was rebuilt. Times and tastes change. The ideas about urbanity today will change again at some point.

Thank you for your question Jednc. Others may turn up photos of the original Brooklyn. It was not so much a slum as a home for those who were born on the wrong side of the social order. Black people were able to live only in the places that were allotted to them. This was Brooklyn. Wooden houses, structurally insufficient (to put it mildly), some without full plumbing, some without heat, streets unpaved, no storm gutters or sewers; a residue of decades of neglect. I cannot say for certain but I feel sure that the owners of the property on which these homes and businesses sat were not those who resided therein. Thus the people could be moved with impunity and the property redeveloped. This is my memory of the history. Many of the residents were resettled in the new Dalton Village off West Boulevard. Dalton Village has been utterly redone and does not truly resemble what it was in 1968. It had a precipitous decline phase almost from the first tenant since it was a concentration of those with no place to go after Brooklyn. Dalton Village is very much improved today.

I just asked my wife, a 60 year resident of Charlotte about her memory of Brooklyn which is better than mine. She remembers it well. Unpainted houses, most shotgun style. "Country shacks in the city with some small gardens, and livestock wandering, including pigs, a goat or two and chickens, as well as dogs, of course". Dirt "streets". An eyesore, in other words.

• Like 1

I think the biggest oversight was what it did to the entire American community at large, in addition to the small individual communities it displaced.

Mainstream culture had decades of dealing with extreme crime, etc, in the "inner city." I'd like to see a community that wouldn't experience problems with crime when displaced en masse. We traded one unsightly neighborhood for another, but made it worse.

The original Brooklyn, though just ask Tarhoosier described it in appearance, was home to the well-off African-American community as well. It was an actual self-sustaining organism. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Yes some of the Brooklyn Neighborhood looked like this...

brooklyn slum.jpeg

Quite a bit of it in fact. 

But it also looked like this.

mic-building.jpg

and this

br4.jpg

and this. How nice would it be to have this as a venue today?

brooklyn-2.jpg