Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

When the backhoe bucket was sinking into the alter of one 13 churches,  most built by the African Americans who attended them,  what version of urban planning was that?  

Sure hindsight is 20/20, but planning or no planning, these were bad choices.  

One of the many challenges today is how do we "solve" for that history.

Crescent is actually the only one that didn't provide concrete numbers. Their images and presentation are the glossiest but they have the least clear vision and plan. To me that says "let's make it pretty to disguise our lack of hard numbers". Conformity (IMO) has the clearest direction, vision and plan. Here are some images from all 3 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

• Like 1

100% agree with Jayvee and personally, no offense to Crescent, who is my favorite developer in Charlotte, but they don't need a third project uptown. You might as well change 2nd ward's name to just Crescent Ward. I read through all three proposals last night and its quite clear that Conformity's is the best thought out, most financially sound, and most innovative. Clearly Conformity has proven in this thread that he understands Brooklyn and the neighborhood that was lost. I'm excited to see this one hash out, because between Charlotte Observer and Brooklyn Village we could have a completely different city in 2020.

I'm super late to this thread.  The renderings look nice, and I like what developers are thinking.  If Charlotte is serious about a bike-friendly city, it has a legitimate shot at really developing it.  At that distance from Center City, and with so much space to work with, surely we can start implementing bike lanes into the concept from day 1?  Then they would just naturally vein out to the most accommodating streets for bike traffic as you enter Center City.  With all the development along Stonewall and the sale of a massive swath of 2d ward land, it doesn't make any sense to neglect bike-friendly solutions, especially with all the bike lobbyist in town.

• Like 2

I would need to see more, but that fifth picture, the Crescent rendering, gets me the most excited. Not only is the tower design interesting in a lived-in, not too flashy way, but I see a variety of interesting low rise treatments, and some nice classic residential stoops. The Conformity stuff looks nice and is clearly a thought-out plan, but still feels slightly basic in that its mostly a collection of what look like typical contemporary Charlotte (though certainly above average) 5-6 story apartment buildings with ground floor retail. I don't love the idea of Crescent having such a hold on major developments in one area of town either, but so far that one rendering just looks the most "grown up" to me. 

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was a goal to have a park in every Ward in uptown. From these designs, it looks like we will be losing Marshall Park. I know it is not used a lot now, but I figured once more 2nd ward becomes more than the government district (and maybe a little renovation) people would use it. 

5 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

I'm super late to this thread.  The renderings look nice, and I like what developers are thinking.  If Charlotte is serious about a bike-friendly city, it has a legitimate shot at really developing it.  At that distance from Center City, and with so much space to work with, surely we can start implementing bike lanes into the concept from day 1?  Then they would just naturally vein out to the most accommodating streets for bike traffic as you enter Center City.  With all the development along Stonewall and the sale of a massive swath of 2d ward land, it doesn't make any sense to neglect bike-friendly solutions, especially with all the bike lobbyist in town.

Stonewall has plans on the books to become a pedestrian and bike friendly boulevard. 

2 minutes ago, michaelef said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was a goal to have a park in every Ward in uptown. From these designs, it looks like we will be losing Marshall Park. I know it is not used a lot now, but I figured once more 2nd ward becomes more than the government district (and maybe a little renovation) people would use it. 

?

In every rendering posted, I see a specific spaced carved out for a park.

1 minute ago, michaelef said:

Yes Marshall park will be lost, however, every one of the plans includes a much more intimate, more functional 2nd ward park. 

image.thumb.png.4cbcfb0f258f9bd7888b7640cd66f9e3.png

Edited by Guest

20 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

I would need to see more, but that fifth picture, the Crescent rendering, gets me the most excited. Not only is the tower design interesting in a lived-in, not too flashy way, but I see a variety of interesting low rise treatments, and some nice classic residential stoops. The Conformity stuff looks nice and is clearly a thought-out plan, but still feels slightly basic in that its mostly a collection of what look like typical contemporary Charlotte (though certainly above average) 5-6 story apartment buildings with ground floor retail. I don't love the idea of Crescent having such a hold on major developments in one area of town either, but so far that one rendering just looks the most "grown up" to me. 

If Crescent gets this and based on the 5th rendering I am going to start saving for one of those brownstone looking town homes immediately lol...

The Crescent images definitely have the "livable" feeling, but it's a bit disingenuous (or perhaps, genius if they win), to render townhouses with concrete cornices with 100-years worth of weathering pock-marks. 

The overall density of Crescent is lower, but probably the clearest/least-risky build out over a realistic time horizon.  They would need to pay the least for land, or get some sort of subsidy.

The Conformity plan is nice in the mix of uses, but I'm a bit confused by the office tower being furthest point from the core....I would think closer to Tryon along Stonewall is more logical there....I guess the idea was the Hotel would be better located, but personally think the marketability of office space vs hotel rooms is more proximity dependent.  There is a nice neighborhood feel of NoHo for the few block of the Brooklyn Village core....actually, reminds me a lot of what is being built in German and Dutch in-fill redevelopments of previous industrial sites.  Hamburg port is a good example.

Don't like the Citisculpt proposal at all, because its just a modern, denser version of the Urban Renewal vision of the 1960s.

14 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yes Marshall park will be lost, however, every one of the plans includes a much more intimate, more functional 2nd ward park. 

image.thumb.png.4cbcfb0f258f9bd7888b7640cd66f9e3.png

Thanks! I was just curious. Green space is good to have in a city. Now who wants to place bets that this will be finished before Levineland in 1st ward? 

1 minute ago, michaelef said:

Thanks! I was just curious. Green space is good to have in a city. Now who wants to place bets that this will be finished before Levineland in 1st ward? 

Well after reading all the proposals 2 of 3 already have full financing. Interestingly enough, Crescent is the only one that doesn't. This is why Conformity will win. It took me 2 hours to read the full proposal, I was able to get through Crescents "sexy" and lacking proposal in 15 minutes.

36 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Pretty sure that Stonewall is high on the list for a protected bike lane.  But you're absolutely correct that it must be placed in the plan. 

11 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Well after reading all the proposals 2 of 3 already have full financing. Interestingly enough, Crescent is the only one that doesn't. This is why Conformity will win. It took me 2 hours to read the full proposal, I was able to get through Crescents "sexy" and lacking proposal in 15 minutes.

Sorry if it was mentioned but are the full proposals being shared publicly at this time?  If so, where?

What kind of time frame are we looking at on these projects?  I was floored by the images provided in the city plan for North Tryon/Levineland, however I know better than to think that'll come to fruition anytime soon.

Are these legit projects?  Or just ideas?  Like, if the city says "congrats Conformity, the project is yours!".  Are they going to build one 5 story apartment ready for use by 2020?  Or are we looking at full build out of that whole project, including that insane rainbow road?

Also, sorry for asking 70 freaking questions.

25 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You think Conformity will win based on that? Remember the city with which they are dealing. Having an actual proposal that is financially feasible and developed by a developer who truly understands the neighborhood are of relatively little importance when compared to great renderings.

Edited by cltbwimob

Just now, ah59396 said:

What kind of time frame are we looking at on these projects?  I was floored by the images provided in the city plan for North Tryon/Levineland, however I know better than to think that'll come to fruition anytime soon.

Are these legit projects?  Or just ideas?  Like, if the city says "congrats Conformity, the project is yours!".  Are they going to build one 5 story apartment ready for use by 2020?  Or are we looking at full build out of that whole project, including that insane rainbow road?

Also, sorry for asking 70 freaking questions.

Conflrmity is broken down into 3 phases. Go read the Charlotte Observer article, Ely posted a link on how to access all 3 proposals.

5 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Conflrmity is broken down into 3 phases. Go read the Charlotte Observer article, Ely posted a link on how to access all 3 proposals.

What if I can't read?!?!?!

kidding, sorry, didn't know the time frames were in the O.  Thanks.

10 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

What if I can't read?!?!?!

kidding, sorry, didn't know the time frames were in the O.  Thanks.

5-7 year build out for the conformity project with construction on the first phase starting within a year of closing on the land.