Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

While I agree the deck is WAYYYY too big and the garage entrance there sucks. It seems unavoidable. 

You COULD go about reworking the Davidson/277 light and having the egress ramps wrap around back to the building. That's ideal but very impractical. 

I do agree the slab is SO obnoxious rather than just designing with the topography, actually didn't notice that until you pointed it out. 

As far as the garage entrance goes, the rendering has the sidewalk going away. Can't imagine that being the case in the final design so it's probably safe to assume there will be a bit more PED awareness here than letting on. 

I actually like the plaza a lot but yeah with only 8k of retail there's really no reason anyone would use it other than the office workers. 

I hear your criticisms, I do, and agree with most. But I think there needs to be some level of realistic expectations as well

Okay after continuing to look. Major criticism is legit towards the plaza. It's pointless with that little of retail. 

The slab wall is absolutely terrible. 

But yeah this is a very difficult site to work with because the intersection to the west is SO gigantic and to the east is a highway off ramp. The issue is CDOT will not let them put a new light as it'll be too close to the Caldwell and Davidson light. I really don't see a way around the egress other than reworking the Davidson light which I just don't see NWR or CDOT taking the effort to do. 

I do love the high rise design

11 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This is what I'd do. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 11.59.31 AM.png

So much better. I still think this is a pretty great project. Needs more retail. Needs less slabs. For sure. But it's a well designed building and stonewall is never and was never going to be some urban paradise for walkers. Stonewall is too large of a street and the highway ramps kill it. 

Once it's built out from 277 to the stadium and Brooklyn village is done I do think the stretch will be incredibly friendly for pedestrians. the street needs work for the buildings to follow suit. Given what we have I think this project will compliment the long term plans rather than take away. Lincoln Harris and BV will provide a TON of retail to the corridor and this will be stop along the way. Not a destination 

42 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

So after speaking with some folks let me hit these concerns.

Plaza is smaller than it looks, storefront is closer to the street. There will be an interior plaza space that will have more retail than reported and allow PEDs to do a 360 around the building and cut through the nice plaza instead of walk down Stonewall.

The slab is a bit annoying but it is not as dramatic as it appears in the rendering and Northwood Ravin will not allow it to be a blank wall. 

This is what we call backpedaling kids. 

I'm calling bs on some of this. Not saying that they didn't say these things, but why would you release a highly detailed rendering with numbers and immediately say "well, disregard some of that"? I think they got some negative feedback about the pedestrian level and now they are saying there's more to it that they just forgot to tell everyone about?

And it's almost like they are saying, "we know we left Stonewall looking like s#!+ but you all can just walk around the building and further contribute to the lack of vibrancy on the sidewalks". Please.

I disagree with the sentiment that Stonewall will never be a pedestrian haven. I know it is wide, but we will soon have the Crescent lot done (hopefully they address the corner properly), there is the lot across Stonewall that can be developed, and the lots that are a part of the Brooklyn Village redevelopment. If the developers of all of those parcels give the street the same kind of love as we got here then yes, Stonewall is lost.

And in regards to the blank slab that will not be left blank, I hope we get another cascading waterfall because the one down at the presley is really drawing in the crowds.

14 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

This is what we call backpedaling kids. 

I'm calling bs on some of this. Not saying that they didn't say these things, but why would you release a highly detailed rendering with numbers and immediately say "well, disregard some of that"? I think they got some negative feedback about the pedestrian level and now they are saying there's more to it that they just forgot to tell everyone about?

And it's almost like they are saying, "we know we left Stonewall looking like s#!+ but you all can just walk around the building and further contribute to the lack of vibrancy on the sidewalks". Please.

I disagree with the sentiment that Stonewall will never be a pedestrian haven. I know it is wide, but we will soon have the Crescent lot done (hopefully they address the corner properly), there is the lot across Stonewall that can be developed, and the lots that are a part of the Brooklyn Village redevelopment. If the developers of all of those parcels give the street the same kind of love as we got here then yes, Stonewall is lost.

And in regards to the blank slab that will not be left blank, I hope we get another cascading waterfall because the one down at the presley is really drawing in the crowds.

Nah, they have gotten positive feedback but they operate in a vacuum a lot of times. I can tell when I approached them with the pedestrian level concerns, they had no idea the concerns existed. These projects are ALWAYS evolving....you should see Tryon Place's initial renderings compared to the most recent. Vastly different.

Things like a green wall generally aren't put into renderings, renderings like this are put out to make glossy press releases, they aren't really meant for us nerds to deep dive into and nit pick. As much as I want to pick them apart for revisionist history, I just don't think it's there. I have seen some other renderings that I can't post and it addresses the interior of the project and adds context. It has nothing to do with "Stonewall sucks so come through here" but it is a matter of that there really just isn't too much they can do to Stonewall beyond having a garage and the 8k of retail they have. SO in order to make it a destination they are creating an interior that will house retail and an "urban garden" (don't think 1BAC). I actually think it'll be a nice place to escape 277 and Stonewall. This is a good project guys, we won't get burned like the Presley burned us (and me, man oh man did Proffitt blow smoke).

You can keep dreaming, but even Crescent isn't addressing making Stonewall a better urbanized haven. Tryon Place has the benefit of location as does Stonewall to an extent, but Stonewall Station does not address the fact Stonewall gets WAY too wide. The road needs a diet, but that's not on developers its on CDOT.

LOL about the one at the Presley, what a freaking joke that is. They don't even run it. But no they will likely do a green wall or a big mural. it's only a 3' high wall. It's not really that big.

Bottom line: it will come down to execution. Northwood Ravin has a pretty good track record (compared to Proffitt-Dixon) and are continuing to push further into urban, mixed-use focus design and projects. They are pumping a LOT of money into this project and plan to hang on to it rather than pump and dump like the Presley. The way they designed the parking (to go through the high-rise, into the open plaza towards the deck) is incredibly expensive and they could have just thrown the deck on the street but they didnt. 

Bottom bottom line: they just need to execute as it's been described and laid out in what I have seen, and this will be a great project for Stonewall.

Edited by Jayvee

15 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It has kind of an interesting massing vs color thing going on, but mostly it just looks like they forgot to finish building it.

In all fairness. Its not finished. And I don't mind the design. Still looks like a hospital to me. I just see what smaller markets are getting, and then look at what we get... And it pisses me off a little. Check out Greenvilles new Embassy Suites, complete with 7 floors of condos. 

ES_exterior_712x342_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpgB9317424951Z.1_20150520182146_001_GM4ARK1KT.1-0.jpg

13 minutes ago, JBS said:

Based on location (near emerging Stonewall, adjacent to CC), total missed opportunity. ..

Eh the building itself is decent infill but the ground floor is solid. Patios and restaurants on Brevard and a MASSIVE and epic bar and patio at Caldwell & MLK. Pretty good to me

Edited by Jayvee

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

I actually don't mind this thing.  It kinda matches the checkered flag theme, haha.

And, they (Embassy Suites) offer a free happy hour (two hours) for guests. It might be worth tolerating  minor  aesthetic disappointments for guests for that reason. 

Edited by caterpillar2

38 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Eh the building itself is decent infill but the ground floor is solid. Patios and restaurants on Brevard and a MASSIVE and epic bar and patio at Caldwell & MLK. Pretty good to me

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  It's a bland suburban style building in a high-potential location.  I hate this thing.

The good news is that it's next door to the old AT&T building...they look like they could be in an office park together.