Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

9 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

No...different architects, but same Geneology.....the above is Axiom Architecture.....Circa is Housing Studio.....both firms trace their roots to David Furman.

Ah yes you're right. Circa was Housing Studio and Furman/Axiom stepped in when the original thing Housing Studio put out was pure garbage.

And I am assuming you mean Camden Gallery, not Camden South End? Camden South End is just as beige as the rest of them. I agree this isn't complete crape and it's solid. I just think its a total misuse of the land. I'd be a major fan of this if it was in PM or SE

Edited by Jayvee

54 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

While I'm glad there's a good chunk of retail, I'll be very interested to see how this streetscape ends up working out heading down from Stonewall Station and Whole Foods...curb cut, huge crossing at Caldwell/South, curb cut, exit ramp, curb cut. 

This is the most important factor for me.  everything else is secondary behind making the streetscapes accessible and safe. Wide sidewalks, better cycling infrastructure, traffic calming.  Stonewall can have piles of stores and great architecture, but if cars are zooming by at 45 mph, it's still going to be anti-urban.  IMO.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2016 at 4:36 PM, Jayvee said:

Good ole Proffitt Dixon, wasting land on Stonewall since 2014

I like it. My architectural pedigree is non-existent though. Do I wish it were taller? Sure. But, if this is the height that makes the numbers work on this site, I think the design is better than most of what we've seen lately. And I use the word design very loosely. I just mean I like the way it looks. I'm sure a lot of the subtlety is lost on me.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2016 at 6:24 PM, KJHburg said:

another interesting tidbit from that Brooklyn Village article from Charlotte Business Journal was larger retail spaces for smaller big box retailers and one could be perfect for a full size grocery store. 

Three anchor tenants are planned, ranging in size from 40,000 to 76,000 square feet. Those big-box tenants would be along South McDowell Street.
National and large-format retailers would be targeted for Brooklyn Village South, which abuts I-277.   Actually I think this is pretty good idea because you need retail anchors for any shopping district. There will be lots of small shop space as well. 

Were there any renderings or sketches for this? I can't access the article on CBJ. I'm not understanding the part about these big-boxes along McDowell but also abutting I-277. Isn't the land along 277 already filled with hotels and other buildings? I think I'm just not imagining this correctly.

It was in a subscriber only article in the Business Journal. I did not quite understand that either. Maybe along McDowell where the park currently stands but not up against 277. But maybe they are talking about up against 277 where that old county owned building is across from the Aquatics center.

Heres the article if you are subscriber http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/07/29/breaking-down-brooklyn-village-by-the-numbers.html

Edited by KJHburg
add link
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

It was in a subscriber only article in the Business Journal. I did not quite understand that either. Maybe along McDowell where the park currently stands but not up against 277. But maybe they are talking about up against 277 where that old county owned building is across from the Aquatics center.

Heres the article if you are subscriber http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/07/29/breaking-down-brooklyn-village-by-the-numbers.html

Not a subscriber, but thank you. I thought about that area down near the Walton Building too. Maybe that's the area they are referring to.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion starter up on the observer - Marshall Park is on its way out – but will new development have enough park space?

Personally I agree that they should try and keep this park and should actually try to expand it.  If they need to find a way to help developers wrap the park with more square footage...so be it.

I do find it amusing that the comments on it not being used.  Well of course...there really isn't much around it right now.  Put $600M or so in development around it and it will liven up a bit.

A new website is up for Brooklyn Village.   - http://brooklynvillage-clt.com/proposed-plan/

I think removing so much park space is a mistake but overall I like the plan.  I wish they would work with the MAC on how their property fonts McDowell.  A good solution, I think, would be to build a parking ramp over the lot that faces MLK but leave room for a building to wrap MLK and then around McDowell with housing and shops.  This could also allow for more park space to be created as you could remove from of the footprint on the main parcel

• Like 4

I hope the condo's are in the building towards the back of the rendering that is obviously over stick built height. The rest looks like the same old stick built junk (my prejudice perhaps). Still, a vast improvement over what is there and concessions must be made to make apartments affordable.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

A new website is up for Brooklyn Village.   - http://brooklynvillage-clt.com/proposed-plan/

I think removing so much park space is a mistake but overall I like the plan.  I wish they would work with the MAC on how their property fonts McDowell.  A good solution, I think, would be to build a parking ramp over the lot that faces MLK but leave room for a building to wrap MLK and then around McDowell with housing and shops.  This could also allow for more park space to be created as you could remove from of the footprint on the main parcel

With respect to park space, I think that given the limited amount of space with which they will be working, perhaps a better idea than building a token park, they should build a public square complete with an iconic statue plopped right in the center-perhaps something akin to the public square in Cleveland.  The Queen Charlotte statue in the airport would be a good candidate for an iconic statue in my opinion...if only the airport would let it go.

• 5 weeks later...

Updated Montage Renderings. I'm actually very impressed with this project. It has 4 sides. Which is not something we can say about any other apartment projects. I'm thrilled with the 11k of retail. I guess Profitt Dixon has heard our complaints thanks to Mr. Jayvee.

Montage-hero-2.png

Montage-hero-updated.png

Got some other great renderings to show, just got to get clearance first. :-)

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Refresh my memory where is this Montage on the Actors Theatre site? All these apartment complexes are running together I just don't know why! PS any word on a name of the Lincoln Harris GS project at Stonewall and Tryon? 

Yes, actors theatre site. As far as Lincoln Harris, Goldman Sachs name, I call it Journalist Square.