Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

4 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I really do like Marshall park. It's underutilized, but the little body of water is nice and the place makes for some really great pictures. Not to mention some of my best protesting memories. Oh well... Charlotte's gonna Charlotte. 

Marshall Park isn't exactly the Polk Building. Its a good amount of space, and there is enough government controlled land to be able to keep the footprint of that sized park, but it is time for a freshening of its current layout. 

• Like 1

Just now, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Marshall Park isn't exactly the Polk Building. Its a good amount of space, and there is enough government controlled land to be able to keep the footprint of that sized park, but it is time for a freshening of its current layout. 

I didn't say it was some highly special historical landmark. I just like it, and I like the old school vibe and randomness of some parts of it. Variety is the spice of life.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kermit said:

The angst about loosing Marshall Park seems kinda odd to me.

Its not the angst about losing Marshall Park, its the angst at losing 3 acres of contiguous park land in the downsize. Thats said, I always tell people... can you really call it "contiguous." do you swim in the goose toilet? The "lake" is .94 acres of the total land.

I came up with this idea yesterday to gain park land. I wish they'd add a covered amphitheater and performance space UNDER the building office building beside the park.. It'd be expensive as hell, to support 13 floors of office above a wide open space, but totally possible and worth it. And hey, people could have their liberal mamby pamby snowflake protests there. 

This rendering is NO where near done. 

image.png.5ba3d56da915c65556fa42934f6738ca.png

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its not the angst about losing Marshall Park, its the angst at losing 3 acres of contiguous park land in the downsize. Thats said, I always tell people... can you really call it "contiguous." do you swim in the goose toilet? The "lake" is .94 acres of the total land.

I came up with this idea yesterday to gain park land. I wish they'd add a covered amphitheater and performance space UNDER the building office building beside the park.. It'd be expensive as hell, to support 13 floors of office above a wide open space, but totally possible and worth it. And hey, people could have their liberal mamby pamby snowflake protests there. 

This rendering is NO where near done. 

image.png.5ba3d56da915c65556fa42934f6738ca.png

I was stuck in traffic on McDowell right in front of the park the other day when it was nice and sunny and saw a total of 1 person sitting by the pond. 3 others were cutting through from 3rd to McDowell. It’s unfortunate that re-designing this entire  park was never really on the table.

• Like 2

Marshall Park had it's time to shine. I think the weariness to redevelop it is less about the park itself, but more of what it represents. Charlottians know that the city is notorious for erasing history, and any newcomer that cares enough to look into it can see that Charlotte is a place with a rich past that fails to embrace it but in a few plaques and some underrated museums.  While the park is fairly unremarkable and dated, its removal would not only represent Charlotte erasing more history, but also repeating history in the act of totally reshaping the 2nd Ward. Despite it's name paying homage to the Brooklyn of the past, the new Brooklyn Village, with less than 200 "affordable" housing units will not pay a spiritual homage to Brooklyn. The park which, partially due to its under utilization, has become to epicenter to many protests, mostly on the lines of civil rights, is now threatened, and in an indirect way represents the desire to rebrand and rebuild that destroyed the original neighborhood in the first place. 

• Like 2

I adore Marshall Park. It reminds me of college campuses, schools, parks, etc, from that very certain era. The amphitheatre will be missed most of all; there is nothing like it for a couple miles.

That said, I virtually never go there, because I hate the brutal austerity of 2nd Ward as it currently is.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Marshall Park had it's time to shine. I think the weariness to redevelop it is less about the park itself, but more of what it represents. Charlottians know that the city is notorious for erasing history, and any newcomer that cares enough to look into it can see that Charlotte is a place with a rich past that fails to embrace it but in a few plaques and some underrated museums.  While the park is fairly unremarkable and dated, its removal would not only represent Charlotte erasing more history, but also repeating history in the act of totally reshaping the 2nd Ward. Despite it's name paying homage to the Brooklyn of the past, the new Brooklyn Village, with less than 200 "affordable" housing units will not pay a spiritual homage to Brooklyn. The park which, partially due to its under utilization, has become to epicenter to many protests, mostly on the lines of civil rights, is now threatened, and in an indirect way represents the desire to rebrand and rebuild that destroyed the original neighborhood in the first place. 

I wonder what's going to happen when Peeble's walks away from this property and their agreement in 2020. I think they are literally just waiting on a recession/downturn, and then they are going to cut ties. I would bet my first born that no dirt turns on this project, while its Peebles responsibility. I bet we have a new set of developers bidding to make this happen in 2021-22.

In other words, the park isn't going anywhere. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I wonder what's going to happen when Peeble's walks away from this property and their agreement in 2020. I think they are literally just waiting on a recession/downturn, and then they are going to cut ties. I would bet my first born that no dirt turns on this project, while its Peebles responsibility. I bet we have a new set of developers bidding to make this happen in 2021-22.

Maybe they’ll include an assisted living facility so I can move Uptown when they finally build out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article91821632.html

Don Peebles cares more about running for mayor, or going on Fox News than building a billion dollar project. Looking back, can’t believe they won, Crescent had the best submission and they are more local. I supported BV partners bid because an urban planeteer was part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Tease, lol. At this point many of us would love that - as bittersweet as it is to root for the Levine-ization of a tract of prime land.