Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

I saw this the other day from the Washington Business Journal (yes I grew up in metro DC) about Mr Peebles   Have no idea is this normal dispute or anything bigger but it is interesting.   I sure hope work begins soon on Brooklyn or we will have another vacant part of uptown to join with the Levine tracts in 1st Ward.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2019/03/19/peebles-sued-by-partner-on-fifth-and-eye-hotel.html

• Like 2

Doesn’t Peebles just own a tiny share ?

Lion share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I called this as soon as the Peebles-led proposal was selected.  He isn’t building anything in Charlotte other than our hopes and his TV resume through appearances on FOX during the 2020 RNC.  All talk, no game according to people in the know.

Been hearing same thing for over a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 3/27/2019 at 8:37 PM, cltcane said:

I called this as soon as the Peebles-led proposal was selected.  He isn’t building anything in Charlotte other than our hopes and his TV resume through appearances on FOX during the 2020 RNC.  All talk, no game according to people in the know.

He was seen around town a few weeks back touring construction sites. 

Edited by Guest

If you can't at least start the residential portion of this project during this time I would say this whole redevelopment will fall apart.   Maybe time to have a plan that city follows and sell it off piecemeal but sticking to a plan of mix of uses and mix of prices affordable to market rate.   This huge super project seems to be big for this developer.  So now we have Levine holding  hostage land in First Ward and the city and BK stalling in 2nd ward.    Yet private development projects are thriving like Legacy and Tryon Place.   (and I do agree with some of the politicos that suggest we need a park equal to the size of Marshall Park there)   How long will the city let this languish on anyone familiar with the contract between him and the city?

Read about his troubles from DC noted above.  

• Like 4

I've definitely seen a lot of negativity on Facebook and elsewhere about it mostly related the history behind Brooklyn village. Especially related to gentrification and/or race. The disagreements and discussions there are NOT civil.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:28 PM, KJHburg said:

I saw this the other day from the Washington Business Journal (yes I grew up in metro DC) about Mr Peebles   Have no idea is this normal dispute or anything bigger but it is interesting.   I sure hope work begins soon on Brooklyn or we will have another vacant part of uptown to join with the Levine tracts in 1st Ward.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2019/03/19/peebles-sued-by-partner-on-fifth-and-eye-hotel.html

Really is a shame that two large parts of uptown are mired in such mismanagement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

It is unbelievable we have so much acreage tied up with just 2 developers that for whatever reason can't get the job done in the most robust real estate market in the history of Charlotte in 1st and 2nd Wards.  Just a shame.   

It sure is making the Stonewall corridor something though.  The only place Uptown where you can develop!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Desert Power said:

It sure is making the Stonewall corridor something though.  The only place Uptown where you can develop!

Good point. It is possible that Levine's incompetence has unintentionally accelerated the integration of the Southend office market with Uptown and shifted the center of gravity of the CBD South. 

If our growth continues at this rate, the Southern shift is not a big deal for First Ward and BLE corridor development, but he certainly hasn't done anything to make his parcels (and the First Ward) more valuable.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

Looks like the city and county might give the developers of Brooklyn Village another 10 years to redevelop this area.  Unbelievable.  I think it is time for a new developer or another huge land banking operation has begun and unlike Levine this is more city and county's problem. 

https://www.wfae.org/post/brooklyn-village-developers-could-get-10-year-extension-buy-marshall-park#stream/0

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

39 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Looks like the city and county might give the developers of Brooklyn Village another 10 years to redevelop this area.  Unbelievable.  I think it is time for a new developer or another huge land banking operation has begun and unlike Levine this is more city and county's problem. 

https://www.wfae.org/post/brooklyn-village-developers-could-get-10-year-extension-buy-marshall-park#stream/0

Can we stop disparaging the Peebles and the Levines and visit our scorn upon the city-county ?