Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

from this video it shows 2 hotels a Staybridge Suites which is part of the Intercontinental Hotel family and an Even Hotel which one proposed and started then stopped at Stonewall Station.

https://brooklynvillage-clt.com/proposed-plan/

I heard at one time they had a grocery store anchor wonder if that is still happening? 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

they have  a new I think video on their webpage now

Proposed Plan - Brooklyn Village (brooklynvillage-clt.com)

with the Medical school district a few blocks away this project may be developed faster than anticipated.  I still wish the park land was bigger than proposed. 

nah this was original to the bid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

Nothing to announce yet though this is interesting.  Peebles the developer wants to build a 1500 ft high tower in west Manhattan.  Very unusual design.  How about a 30 story version of this in the Village?  and in my opinion with the Med school and innovation district they should start with lots of apartments first and then office space as the Med school gets going.

Skyscraper Proposed For Long-Vacant Hell's Kitchen Lot: See It | Midtown, NY Patch

how would this be built structurally I mean all the load is on the right side and interior core?   

Peebles is the lead developer for Brooklyn Village

Brooklyn Village – The Peebles Corporation

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Nothing to announce yet though this is interesting.  Peebles the developer wants to build a 1500 ft high tower in west Manhattan.  Very unusual design.  How about a 30 story version of this in the Village?  and in my opinion with the Med school and innovation district they should start with lots of apartments first and then office space as the Med school gets going.

Skyscraper Proposed For Long-Vacant Hell's Kitchen Lot: See It | Midtown, NY Patch

how would this be built structurally I mean all the load is on the right side and interior core?   

Peebles is the lead developer for Brooklyn Village

Brooklyn Village – The Peebles Corporation

I forgot that Peebles will be the developer for Brooklyn Village.

The new 1,500' tower at the Hudson Yards will be amazing.  It indicates the great quality that Peebles will deliver in the QC.  In light of the finance links between the QC and NY, I view the two cities as cousins in some respects.

JSK-RENDERINGS-1.jpg

RG

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

Pebbles clearly builds  high-quality projects  and will construct Something amazing in Charlotte.

In fact, I just looked at Perbles’ website.  They have done a lot of nice work in NY, Miami, and  LA.  It’s reasonable to assume, therefore, that Brooklyn Village will be amazing .

https://peeblescorp.com/portfolio

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

Has anyone studied Brooklyn's history?  I've read that a Charlotte urban renewal program destroyed Brooklyn and "stifled its opportunity to flourish," but then I hear other accounts that the neighborhood had devolved to total squalor and neglect and a fair-minded person would conclude that it was beyond repair, and so the urban renewal program was more blight elimination than race-based banishment.

Edited by RANYC

38 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Has anyone studied Brooklyn's history?  I've read that a Charlotte urban renewal program destroyed Brooklyn and "stifled its opportunity to flourish," but then I hear other accounts that the neighborhood had devolved to total squalor and neglect and a fair-minded person would conclude that it was beyond repair, and so the urban renewal program was more blight elimination than race-based banishment.

It’s a combination. Like any early 1900s neighborhood there were good and bad buildings, some worth saving and some worth razing. Other white neighborhoods resulted in a similar number of original buildings being razed vs kept. The problem comes from the predominantly black neighborhood in center city being chosen for urban renewal and divesting hundreds of black land owners of their properties, an injustice that reverberates through to today where many of the descendants of those people have been unable to benefit from the most important  form of capital this country has: real estate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I get the Ledger email (but don’t subscribe) and this morning apparently the paid Ledger has an article about plans for the old United Way building on Brevard with renderings for what’s going there.  Anyone have access to that?

The existing building is being renovated. It's nothing special unfortunately.

35 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I get the Ledger email (but don’t subscribe) and this morning apparently the paid Ledger has an article about plans for the old United Way building on Brevard with renderings for what’s going there.  Anyone have access to that?

Here you go.

1076224304_UWBuilding.thumb.PNG.68fe022247d8b690bb6bfa7c21a15f2f.PNG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The building at the rear of the former United Way is 300 South Caldwell. It housed some United Way services until maybe 15 years ago. The building was constructed as the black YMCA for the Brooklyn community. There was a pool and small gymnasium for sports. I was in the basement which was originally pool and locker room and it had been so damp for so long the lights did not work and was reverting to the life of the underworld. You want Halloween creepy and scary? Wander down there with a flashlight. You would not return for a second trip.

It is most unlikely to survive. I am shocked it survived as long as it has.

• Like 3