Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

• 1 month later...

2 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Can't tell if he or former Bobcats owner is a bigger clown from DC who tried to use race to get preferential treatment.

You speak of ignorance. Well, that’s the only leverage Black people can use, really. The network is the network...and penetrating that network is almost impossible...and if you’re Black....fuggedabout it.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Durhamite said:

You speak of ignorance. Well, that’s the only leverage Black people can use, really. The network is the network...and penetrating that network is almost impossible...and if you’re Black....fuggedabout it.  

Look at his track record. In multiple places where he used race as a selling-point to receive favorable opportunities, he lost lawsuits and projects never got off the ground. DC, Philly, Miami. The Charlotte project is on track to fail or be extremely delayed as well. 

• Confused 1

To the extent that he's planning a 1,660' tower in NY, he clearly aims high.  I expect that he will build something magnificent in Charlotte.

This developer clearly is ambitious.  The massive height isn't even necessary to preserve views since this tower will rise across the street from the convention center, as seen in this photo.  

I can't wait to see his plans for Brooklyn Village.

7-jpg.2203695

This is on the developer's website.  I think that it looks amazing.

BK Village Rendering

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

To the extent that he's planning a 1,660' tower in NY, he clearly aims high.  I expect that he will build something magnificent in Charlotte.

This developer clearly is ambitious.  The massive height isn't even necessary to preserve views since this tower will rise across the street from the convention center, as seen in this photo.  

I can't wait to see his plans for Brooklyn Village.

7-jpg.2203695

This is on the developer's website.  I think that it looks amazing.

BK Village Rendering

You're delusional if you think that NY tower happens or that the Charlotte project happens this decade.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

You're delusional if you think that NY tower happens or that the Charlotte project happens this decade.

The NY tower is definitely happening.  NY is in the midst of a gigantic building boom, and an equally tall 1650'+ tower was approved yesterday.

Charlotte is also booming, so I don't see why BV won't rise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBS said:

Go back and look at the original timelines. It's disingenuous to suggest this is moving at anything other than a glacial pace.

I mean, the new work and permits being pulled suggest otherwise, but what do I know... Projects like this can pivot fast, and this one is picking up a lot of steam with the new Med School going up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The NY tower is definitely happening.  NY is in the midst of a gigantic building boom, and an equally tall 1650'+ tower was approved yesterday.

Charlotte is also booming, so I don't see why BV won't rise.

That rendering looks like Minecraft. I would take bets it won't be @TheRealClaytonwould agree with me NY is a pipe dream for Peebles, and BV is practically the next Levineland.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

That rendering looks like Minecraft. I would take bets it won't be @TheRealClaytonwould agree with me NY is a pipe dream for Peebles, and BV is practically the next Levineland.

Ok.  Think what you want, but one of the most respected NY developers, Steve Witkoff, has partnered with Peebles.   Witkoff doesn't play games.  Also, the demand for new space is unprecedented in NY at the moment.

The WSJ doesn't report on flukes.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/black-developer-aims-to-build-new-yorks-tallest-skyscraper-11638882002

Black Developer Aims to Build New York’s Tallest Skyscraper

Don Peebles wants his project, one of a number of proposals for the site, to provide opportunities for minority- and female-owned businesses

"...The project known as Affirmation Tower is a 2 million square-foot, $3.5 billion development planned for a 1.2-acre plot of state-owned land facing the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. It is one of a number of proposals that New York state’s Empire State Development Corporation is considering for the site."

im-446263?width=860&height=573

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

I certainly believe and support the concept of hiring minority sub-contractors ( it appears to have worked well at ATL) like Mr. Peebles is touting and I realize that part of being a developer is a "fake it til you make it" attitude. I would love to see this project happen.....but I don't think it will. 

Edited by stiluvclt

Every major periodical, including the WSJ, has written about Peebles' and Witkoff's tower.  Today, Architectural Digest published this.  The NY tower is very real.  I think that Peebles will do a good job at BV if he has a powerful, local partner like he does in NY.  Since Charlotte, like NY, has a very strong market, I don't see him sitting on BV for too long.   For all we know, he'll plan Charlotte's new tallest like he is in NY, where he will edge out the new 1,646' tall 175 Park Avenue, with his Affirmation Tower topping out at 1,663'.  (Central Park Tower's tallest roof at 1,551' will have a short reign as NY's tallest.)

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/affirmation-tower-adjaye-peebles

Screenshot (94).png

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 12:04 PM, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, the new work and permits being pulled suggest otherwise, but what do I know... Projects like this can pivot fast, and this one is picking up a lot of steam with the new Med School going up. 

Yes, and they at least care enough to put a social media presence out there: https://twitter.com/BrooklynVlgCLT

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Yes, and they at least care enough to put a social media presence out there: https://twitter.com/BrooklynVlgCLT

I've checked out that social media presence a few times.  It's more like the Twitter Museum of Charlotte History than a development update site.  Having said that, I actually have no basis for doubting that the Peebles development is moving forward, other than its delays thus far.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 11:12 AM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Why the name-calling?:tw_joy:  Why do speculative differences have to be so truculent and callous?  OK, you doubt the project will happen, or if it does, will be slow to get off the ground...got it!  But not enough to just state your piece...the other side must be "delusional."