Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

I merged the "Big Announcement" thread with the Adam's Mark thread to make a consolidated 2nd Ward Plans thread, as the big announcement was really just the news about the plans in the area of the adam's mark.

For those who haven't seen it, here is the city's master plan for 2nd Ward:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...d+Plan/home.htm

The article about Furman's comments from wednesday basically say he is pushing for a sooner time frame for some of the lots addressed by that master plan by postponing or cancelling some of the major aspects, like dismantling marshall park and the CMS offices.

The Metro School (school for disabled) is being rebuilt on the block bounded by Davidson, 2nd, Stonewall, and Alexander (i'm not sure if alexander is being rebuilt yet, but davidson will be reconnected as part of school construction) and the old school will be torn down when it is completed next year.

Thank you, Dubone. I always thought that was First Ward.  :wacko: It doesn't look that bad. I did hear crime around the hotels there has been increasing so maybe this new development will help.

Honestly, the only ward I really know is Fourth Ward, but that's because I'm trying to buy a house there. It's perfect! Within walking distance to Uptown. Charlotte needs more neighborhoods like that to go with the condos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Girly, 1st Ward's neighborhood (a/k/a the "Garden District") also has a very residential feel to it and is fairly attractive to live in IMHO. Although it's shorter on detached Victorian houses and longer on townhomes than 4th Ward, it's about the same walking distance to the CBD. You might want to check it out.

The bigger point is....how can you possibly live Uptown being so far from any substantial retail? :)

Oh, the 2nd Ward plan was the big announcment? I thought it was all a joke that someone was pulling over on us.

Personally I don't think the 2nd Ward plan was a big announcement. It has been a work in progress for years now. Furman has been a part of it from the begining. The fact that he is ready to start building in 2nd Ward now didn't catch anyone by surprise.

This other guy Jerry Reese: I put his plan in the same category as the one that proposed the sky needle some years back. Pie in the Sky and never going to happen. He is just trying to create publicity for himself. I know more about this guy, but I am not going to post it on here. Just trust me, you won't see anypart of his plan take shape.

This was already announced... the time table was just updated from what I understand... but is completely unrelated to the rally (except the HOF is in 2nd ward). Making this the big announcement is a big stretch, that thread about the rumor was nothing more than that... this has already been announced. I've heard about this for a while now.

Edited by Seabreeze

Does any one know what the building on East Stonewall and South McDowell corner bordering I-277? It looks like a hotel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is the Adam's Mark hotel. The first 5 or so pages of this thread deals with the fact that the adam's mark was purchased by a major national developer, and will likely do something big with the land eventually.

The 2nd Ward Master Plan is nothing new... but the Brooklyn Renaissance Project is news (although might have had other forms in the past), and the fact that furman wants to move up the timetable of his own participation in 2nd ward is also news.

It may not have been the specific announcement that was hinted at early last week, and it may not even by as big as people wanted/thought.... but that is the announcement we got last week. take it or leave it...some rumors turn out, some don't.

thanks for the info. The second ward plans originally called for 4 or 5 story building through much of the area, but I think that with the success of 1st ward's garden district, i'm sure 3-story townhouses like m-street and skyline terrace would do very well, and be the type of development that the county and the city (who own most of the land) would support.

I'd still expect some slightly more dense/intense projects on mcdowell, but i'm guessing most of that will come from the new adam's mark owners, and be a number of years away.

Nothing much in the short term.......the new owner will likely look for a new flag to operate the hotel under, I'm putting my money on a Crown Plaza. There is talk of converting the buildings to condo, but I'm not sure this is the route that will happen.

Longer term, a second office tower will be added, as wil a retail component. Additionally, the convention space will be demolished (though the garage kept) and residential towers built.

Could a Hyatt go into the hotel. In my opinion, it Hyatt is looking for a place to put another hotel, Charlotte should be right on the radar, considering that Hyatt only has one location, and it is not uptown which is hot right now. I think either a Hyatt Regency, Crowne Plaza, or a Renaissance uptown hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...th/12648794.htm

The Cameron Brown office building will be renovated. Hopefully it will get a more updated look on the outside and not just on the inside. How likely do you guys think that is? Just modern blue or reflective glass would go a long way for the building's look rather than the 70s-style dark/black glass.

The article says plans aren't yet disclosed for the hotel portion, but they'll likely see some renovation, too.

I hope they don't change the exterior. Recladding's in Charlotte usually look much worse than what they started with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I agree with you in general, do you count South Tryon Square and Wachovia Main in that group? To me, the new glass makes those two projects look worlds better. That is the basis for my hopes on Cameron Brown. If they're just going to do some EFIS manifestation, then I'd definitely prefer they just leave it as it is.

The Cameron Brown building, while seemingly not liked by several here, is well known style of architecture of which there are almost no other examples in Charlotte. The only other building like it was the Atkins library, which was built around the same time. Unfortunately the Atkins building underwent a horrific recladding and now looks cheap and ugly.

They should leave the Cameron Building as is and concentrate on cleaning it up a bit. We shouldn't put stucco and brick on every building in town.

• 1 month later...

The Adam's Mark hotel will close before Christmas. The plans for the buildings will be announced at some point in the next few weeks.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/13067351.htm

It is an interesting twist in the uptown hotel industry. I'm not sure if the Chetrit Group plans a hotel or not as part of the new plans. The loss of Adam's Mark will have a definite impact on the number of hotel rooms downtown. That could allow for more success and sell outs at the other hotels. On the other side, though, it could simply mean that some groups will not be able to find room or afford coming here.

I'm sure Chetrit will replace some or all of the rooms with a new hotel, if the market is viewed as strong enough.

The Adam's Mark hotel will close before Christmas. The plans for the buildings will be announced at some point in the next few weeks.

That's actually great news. Would be exciting to see something developed that's not just a hotel and parking lot. The land is a key connection point between Uptown, Dilworth, the LSC greenway and Midtown.

I agree. Hopefully plans will include interior and exterior renovations to those buildings, and some new buildings and parking decks on the surrounding land.

Based on the discussions earlier in this thread, their purchase price implies significantly more density here.