Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I agree redo the park but dont shrink the size in a city starved for parks.  Who remembers the old huge concrete walkways?  I have some photos of them in my vault. 

A city starved for parks...ok...then why don't people use this park?  Uptown is not starved for parks, residential neighborhoods are.  I live in South Charlotte and have to go 4miles to the closest public park, and they really aren't even a full use park (Carmel Rd or Davie both of which are a playground and a field).  Closest full use public park with walking paths, pavilions, something resembling landscaping is Park Road Park and takes me 15 minutes by car to get to.

image.thumb.png.0dd025a76cf74573e90c4d3b2b0aee56.png

• Like 4

I agree the suburbs are more short changed for parks and some rapidly changing neighborhoods like NoDa and Southend where there were no residents before.  Marshall Park is surrounded by government buildings most abandoned and run over with geese. Its needs to be rebuilt and reimagined but not shrunk.  

• Like 1

Charlotte ranks 91st nationally for parks. Yet here we reducing one by a half. Great plan.

This based on a lot of things and one heavy I think is accessibility within a 10 minute walk. Most of inner Charlotte is in good shape in that respect. Charlotte is actually 83rd now in 2022. More park space is needed as well, but that’s true for outer areas and the outer neighborhoods.

https://parkserve.tpl.org/mapping/index.html?CityID=PS3712000&_ga=2.95859996.1256652158.1665702307-371377883.1665702307

0715f78428f97b22a030006a2fc1b003.jpg
  • Like 4

• 6 months later...

Hello, shouldn't this deal with Peebles be null and void now because Peebles and partners failed to close on the land sale by February 2023?  Also, in both cases of Brooklyn Village and 7th & Tryon, are there not active local developers who could actually move quickly to start building these blocks versus going to outside development groups new to the region?  Why do we go to outside groups for projects with the potential to be so transformational?  Lincoln Harris, Crescent, Crosland Southeast...none of them had any interest in 7th and Tryon or Brooklyn Village?  They seem to turn dirt and get things out of the ground rather quickly.  I know some of you will object to Lincoln because you didn't like their design choices on Legacy Union, but at this point, something is better than nothing now.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Has this project in 2nd ward been declared dead yet?  Can someone direct me to a completed project by Peebles?

He now has a major project planned in Atlanta so I guess we will go back to the back back burner again.

https://atlantaagentmagazine.com/2022/10/17/marta-peebles-enter-negotiations-for-major-mixed-use-development-on-the-westside/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For what it’s worth, the Biz Journal is reporting they are going to begin demo and construction on the 420 unit high rise and the 120 unit mid-rise in the fall… honestly, with the Med school going up across the street this makes huge sense, and I bet that helped them get the financing. I think we saw a rendering of this portion of the project a few months ago

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, RANYC said:

If Walton Plaza is demolished AND vertical construction has begun before 12/31, I will GLADLY buy you a holiday cocktail at Humbug, Dram & Draught, or The Conspiracy.

honestly that rendering which may or may not be the final looks like Uptown 550 by NorthwoodRavin right up the street.

Dram and Draught I prefer its a class A building 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I assure you I'm engaged.  Just because a townhouse rezoning gets denied here or there doesn't mean there's an organized effort to prevent development of any kind.  The comment that in the city of Charlotte there's a serious and substantive anti-development movement to stop dev of ANY kind given what's going on here is so hyperbolic as to be laughable.  And wasn't this dev agreement executed between peebles and meck county anyway (and not city council)?  Or at least I thought so.  I may not live and breathe dev news in this city because I can't do that, but I'm engaged.  We don't appear to subject anything here to a design review process, at least not outside of rezoning.  Not saying we should have one necessarily, but given what happens in so many other places with our level of growth & interest to be here, we're pretty dev friendly.

I assure you that you are incorrect about "The comment that in the city of Charlotte there's a serious and substantive anti-development movement to stop dev of ANY kind given what's going on here is so hyperbolic as to be laughable." I read the community notes, go to the zoning hearings, and interact with the city council people. Really anywhere outside of district 1 is seeing significant backlash, and at-large folks are beginning to even turn on these areas, with new people coming that are even worse. While it is a county agreement, it is a city development/approval process, and then it goes back to being a county permitting process, it's super back-ass-wards. As far as design review process goes, as I said above, that is illegal in North Carolina. While I would love for it to exist on some levels, design review has ground some city development processes to a virtual standstill, places like Seattle are seeing 30+ revision periods. Didn't intend to sound like a jerk above, sorry about that.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1