Gulf Coast Megaregion and BRNO Super Region

Mr. Burnham

If you're going to give BR St. George then you have to give NOLA Metairie, plus I could make a solid argument for Kenner, Gretna, Harvey, Terrytown, Harahan, and Marrero. I think if you add those all up you'll be at around 900K for NOLA. With just Metairie it's close to 500k.

NOLA metra is significantly larger and I would argue more important than BR. There's nothing wrong with that. When you go out of state, ask people what city comes to mind when they think of Louisiana and almost always NOLA is the only one they can name. If they know their state capitals they might get to BR.

I'm not sure you were replying to me, but I think anyone with an ounce of sense recognizes the importance of a city like New Orleans to a state with only 4 million men, women and children. As far as importance placed on either city, BR is the center of political power in Louisiana, home of our only major university, location of the 4th largest refinery in the US and the list goes on....I wish people would try to look at the bigger "reality" picture rather than simply twisting things into a BR vs. NO contest...it really is just splitting hairs at some point.

I think I made a convincing point in my earlier comments (which I might expand on now) that the available land and infrastructure in which to grow (industry, population, etc.) is nearly taxed out in NO and that BR is the most prepared to pick up the slack (in fact already is) because of it's proximity as well as shared access to river, rail, etc..  BOTH metro areas are huge, but the Baton Rouge area's physical footprint is probably already double that of NO area...BR is nearing 830,000 and NO is around 1.2 (not exactly what I would call "significantly larger"). In addition New Orleans lost population after Katrina and one could make the argument that the influx of people is only bringing that population back up to where it was pre 2005. Perhaps that explains the higher growth rates? Don't forget that New Orleans had about a century more to establish a higher population point and BR really only started growing in the later 1950's and 60's.

I pointed out the flaws in BR as well. There are many...Yet in spite of that, I think we will see that in the next 20-30 years the BR metro area will be dominant in growth if only due to the lack of space and relative expense of everything in NO. Most of that growth will probably be sprawling, poorly planned suburbia, but that will still shift the power north even more. I do think that cooperation between NO and BR will be vital (more so to the economic survival of NO than BR) going forward and perhaps one day both will be considered one large, disjointed metro.  

Edited by caballero
  • Like 1

If you're going to give BR St. George then you have to give NOLA Metairie, plus I could make a solid argument for Kenner, Gretna, Harvey, Terrytown, Harahan, and Marrero. I think if you add those all up you'll be at around 900K for NOLA. With just Metairie it's close to 500k.

NOLA metra is significantly larger and I would argue more important than BR. There's nothing wrong with that. When you go out of state, ask people what city comes to mind when they think of Louisiana and almost always NOLA is the only one they can name. If they know their state capitals they might get to BR.

Just because that is how things are now doesn't mean they are not or can not change. 

The lack of space hasn't stopped growth in places like Manhattan or Tokyo. It's possible in the next 20 years NOLA starts growing tall amd increases it's population that way.

Majority of the suburban growth will be in St Tammany Parish. If the BR NOLA metro were to grow together I would assume it's through the north shore.

Edited by all2neat

The lack of space hasn't stopped growth in places like Manhattan or Tokyo. It's possible in the next 20 years NOLA starts growing tall amd increases it's population that way.

Majority of the suburban growth will be in St Tammany Parish. If the BR NOLA metro were to grow together I would assume it's through the north shore.

I think it'll have to fill the void left by 1960's 627,000 people before it starts growing tall.

New Orleans is neither of those places. Not even close. The scale of Tokyo and areas around Manhattan are enormous and would envelope a footprint larger than BR and NO combined.  We will simply never see that kind of growth in Louisiana.  New Orleans can't physically "grow" into BR because there are vast areas that can't be developed. Besides it's been BR suburbs like Gonzales that have grown south at a faster rate.

Edited by caballero

New Orleans is neither of those places. Not even close. The scale of Tokyo and areas around Manhattan are enormous and would envelope a footprint larger than BR and NO combined.  We will simply never see that kind of growth in Louisiana.  New Orleans can't physically "grow" into BR because there are vast areas that can't be developed. Besides it's been BR suburbs like Gonzales that have grown south at a faster rate.

With Baton Rouge you have steady and strong growth both southwards towards New Orleans and eastwards toward Hammond. These are the two areas that Baton Rouge with grow into and eventually expand their economic and population profiles. 

Never underestimate what a city can do with the right mindset. 

Here is that article I wrote about this topic. I outline a few of my ideas for the cities future, tell me your thoughts on this article: https://theurbanrevolutionary.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/the-gulf-coast-megaregion-and-america-2050/ 

First and foremost never underestimate the power of the population growth between the two cities. The land mass of Manhattan is only 22.83 square miles....while Baton Rouge land mass is THREE TIMES THE SIZE OF MANHATTAN AT 76.8 SQUARE MILES....Manhattan as a population of 1,636,268 as of 2014 and Baton Rouge only has a population of 229,426...tat's at least the 2013 estimation and and baton rouge should be more now....New Orleans is bigger than BOTH CITIES BY A LARGE MARGIN with a land mass of 169 SQUARE MILES with a population at 384,320 as of 2014......

If Baton Rouge officially conjoins East Baton Rouge, THEY WILL BE THREE TIMES BIGGER THAN NEW ORLEANS AND BIGGER THAN NEW YORK CITY which as a total of only 304.8 square miles. The city of BR conjoining with East BR with put them as a significant 455 SQUARE MILES, THAT'S BIGGER THAN DALLAS at 340.5 square miles! If East and West BR Parishes conjoin with the city itself....the total square miles would be MURDEROUS AT 647 SQUARE MILES...that's bigger than Los Angeles at 469 Square miles and BIGGER THAN HOUSTON AT 599 SQUAREMILES....SO New Orleans and Baton Rouge have SIGNIFICANT LAND MASS THAT CAN FIT OVER 10 MILLION PEOPLE whether it's metro or the CSA population

and let's keep it real...a great friend of mine told me something gangsta....he told me that shanghai china's highest elevation point is only 4 feet above sea level...new orleans is between -6.5 to 20+ feet above sealevel....that's a advatage to new orleans....baton rouge is even higher at 56 above sealevel....and according to the 2010 census....shanghai has over 34 million residents......ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? New Orleans/Baton Rouge....let's grill our differences up and eat ot and let's domianate the economy as a team!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Orleans-Baton-Rouge-Lafayette-Lake-Charles-Alexandria-Super-Region/236450986410793?fref=ts

Welcome to the BR Forum Malcolm! :thumbsup: What a 1st Post!  Digging the enthusiasm!

Like the potential new look for Canal Street on that Facebook page! That's a one-of-a-kind urban corridor...it deserves something special! Light it up!

In the past it seems NOLA got all of the main course meals & Baton Rouge was left with the bread crumbs....then...post Katrina leveled the playing field some. I agree the two city's can be stronger together; but at the same time it's BR's turn to flex it's muscles :tough:

If BR simply annexed the SE/southern part of what could become St. George the population would be a lot closer at 337,000

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2

Welcome to the BR Forum Malcolm! :thumbsup: What a 1st Post!  Digging the enthusiasm!

Like the potential new look for Canal Street on that Facebook page! That's a one-of-a-kind urban corridor...it deserves something special! Light it up!

In the past it seems NOLA got all of the main course meals & Baton Rouge was left with the bread crumbs....then...post Katrina leveled the playing field some. I agree the two city's can be stronger together; but at the same time it's BR's turn to flex it's muscles :tough:

If BR simply annexed the SE/southern part of what could become St. George the population would be a lot closer at 337,

If BR simply annexed the SE/southern part of what could become St. George the population would be a lot closer at 337,000

thanks for the welcoming....another thing I wanted to say is that a friend of mine also said that while New Orleans is like Los Angeles, Baton Rouge will be like Atlanta because they both are capitals of the states and are florishing in the eonomic development.....Baton Rouge can be BETTER than Atlanta..I sure do hope that East and West Baton Rouge join up and become one huge city!...if they were...the population will be well over 463,959 as we speak.....

• Like 1

This Bullet train can be used to travel between Baton Rouge and New Orleans                                                                                                                                                                                                         chsra-transbay-anchor-470x320.jpg

This Bullet train can be used to travel between Baton Rouge and New Orleans                                                                                                                                                                                                         chsra-transbay-anchor-470x320.jpg

Thanks Captain Obvious...BTW that's the California High Speed train.

• 3 months later...

The Brief’: Baton Rouge, New Orleans form new business relationships post-Katrina

Robert Stewart
August 25, 2015

Baton Rouge and New Orleans haven’t exactly always gotten along. They’re really more like big brother and little brother than they are best friends. But the two cities have learned to play nice to partner on something known as a super region—an economic force that combines both cities’ resources to attract new businesses here.

As Business Report details in the latest installment of its video series “The Brief,” Hurricane Katrina was a significant catalyst for the partnership. Baton Rouge helped New Orleans get back on its feet after the storm, and some New Orleans businesses began either relocating to or opening offices in Baton Rouge. New business relationships were forged along the way.

The two cities eventually partnered in 2009 to form the Southeast Super Region Committee to spur economic growth in south Louisiana. They also helped lobby for new tax incentives and workforce training programs to continue the boom.

The result: It’s working. The super region has lured new businesses like Nucor’s $3.2 billion steel plant in St. James Parish. And since 2006, companies including BASF, Benteler, and Syngenta have invested more than $1.6 billion in Louisiana.    https://www.businessreport.com/article/brief-baton-rouge-new-orleans-form-new-business-relationships-post-katrina            

Edited by greg225

^

Same. 

Though something stands out to me in all of these recent articles...it seems like New Orleans in benefiting the most from the super-region than BR is. Then again BR needs to do a lot to really get it to where it needs to be. But I still can't help but feel that BR is just making New Orleans look better...this partnership should be equal and so far it hasn't been.

Edited by mr. bernham

What's not equal?

The entire relationship between the two cities, even though they really are not that different from one another. New Orleans has a slightly larger population, a difference that is dwindling everyday. Not to mention the fact the airport is in New Orleans further makes the relationship unequal. Baton Rouge is just helping New Orleans look better...and we're stupid for doing that. This super region should only exist if New Orleans is willing to concede some things like ego and the airport. We should build a new international airport in Hammond. 

The entire relationship between the two cities, even though they really are not that different from one another. New Orleans has a slightly larger population, a difference that is dwindling everyday. Not to mention the fact the airport is in New Orleans further makes the relationship unequal. Baton Rouge is just helping New Orleans look better...and we're stupid for doing that. This super region should only exist if New Orleans is willing to concede some things like ego and the airport. We should build a new international airport in Hammond. 

Building a International Airport in Hammond will not help Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge Airport need to become a International Airport I think it will have to happen to attract business here and keep them here. After Katrina  Baton Rouge became a  temporary  International Airport if our airport was smart they would have found a way to make it permanent. 

Edited by greg225

Building a International Airport in Hammond will not help Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge Airport need to become a International Airport I think it will have to happen to attract business here and keep them here. After Katrina  Baton Rouge became a  temporary  International Airport if our airport was smart they would have found a way to make it permanent. 

i don't think it was so much a matter of being smart as it was about being able to continue to make money.

New Orleans is an established International Airport and as long as it is operational it will continue to attract more people, flights, etc. The airport is really the only thing that gives New Orleans an upper-hand. The best thing for the Super Region would have been to close or downsize Armstrong and build a new airport between the two cities in Hammond. For Baton Rouge, this would be best because BR is already growing into Hammond and the airport being there would be an even larger catalyst of growth for the city. Not to mention Armstrong and BTR could have stayed in operation as metro/national airports...the offerings of these airports would have continued to grow as the cities both grew. This would have meant more equal growth for both cities.

Also, if you think a Hammond Int' Airport would be too far from Baton Rouge, LAX is about 45 minutes outside of Downtown Los Angeles, for Baton Rouge it's about the same drive clocking in at 45 minutes. In Houston's case, the center of Houston is about 30 minutes from Bush and O'Hare is thirty minutes outside of Downtown Chicago. I would be willing to drive about 15 minutes longer to get to a Hammond International Airport than two hours to get to NOLA.

Another option could've been Gonzales...but I think that with water it would be too risky. 

Edited by mr. bernham

I don't see a point of rail service between the two cities if it can't cover the distance in less than 70 minutes including stops.   It pretty much has to be Aclea-grade service or better.  It basically has to average 70 mph including the stops, which means up to 100 mph in some sections....even more when you consider that there's no safe way to move at those speeds in populated areas within Baton Rouge or New Orleans/Jefferson.

This is not an impossible task...there's plenty of space for dual tracks and most of it is straight as an arrow.   

It will be challenging finding enough riders while minimizing the number of stops to keep the average speeds up.   It would be awesome to be able to step onto a train in downtown Baton Rouge and hit MSY inside of 60 minutes, or to get onto a train in Gonzales and get to the Baton Rouge airport in less than 45 minutes during the height of rush hour.  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1