New CVS on Graham St.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how the building looks like it has aged for a 100 years. Tanks for the pics! That building is beautiful!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it was an existing building that was pretty old.

CVS has been getting a lot of flak from other communities for usually tearing buildings like that down and replacing them with their own cookie-cutter buildings.

This is one of the coolest and most unique "old" building conversions I have ever seen:

http://dp70.dyndns.org/drexel/revcon.html

Well, it was an existing building that was pretty old.

CVS has been getting a lot of flak from other communities for usually tearing buildings like that down and replacing them with their own cookie-cutter buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

kudos to cvs for learning a lesson, then. i'm actually glad they didn't clean up the gritty part of the brick, and allowed some slight dimension change for the windows, bricking in a portion. Those types of the things really lend to the character of the project, and differentiate it from just another brand new building.

i'm not sure i understand the bay windows... but at least they have some sort of display windows, that is something that is definitely missing from the urban streetscape.

i'm not sure i understand the bay windows... but at least they have some sort of display windows, that is something that is definitely missing from the urban streetscape.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't the location of the bay windows where the tire places had their 3 bay doors?

They kind of remind me of garage doors in design.

BTW, is the Tryon St location closing? Or will uptown now have 2 CVSes?

The lady at the CVS told me they would be open until 10pm everyday.  She also told me about the Dunkin Donuts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm...this is weird. On the Center City Partners website, there is a blurb about CVS being "Center City's first 24-hr pharmacy". That would be majorly cool if true.

Hmmm...this is weird.  On the Center City Partners website, there is a blurb about CVS being "Center City's first 24-hr pharmacy".  That would be majorly cool if true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it will be a pharmacy 24 hours a day, but the doors will be locked after 5 :).

Isn't the location of the bay windows where the tire places had their 3 bay doors?

They kind of remind me of garage doors in design.

BTW, is the Tryon St location closing?  Or will uptown now have 2 CVSes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, the bay windows and cvs doors are all in the old garage bay openings. i think i'd like them better if they were floor to ceiling windows with the framing, and didn't have the diagonal parts. As they are, it just seems like the breakfast nook on a suburban home.

again, not bad, just a minor design critique.

on the Tryon location, i have no real info, but i'm almost certain they're closing the old location. I'm sure that was a major part of the business decisions leading to this new location: larger space, lower rent, addition of drive thru but in same neighborhood.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, they giveth and they taketh away. Just as we were lauding CVS for the awesome integration of their store design with the existing 1920s era brick building that was formerly a tire shop, they go ahead and put a giant tacky blow up prescription bottle on the roof which say "CVS Best Drugstore in Town!!!" :rolleyes: Oh well...at least it's only temporary.

Well, they giveth and they taketh away.  Just as we were lauding CVS for the awesome integration of their store design with the existing 1920s era brick building that was formerly a tire shop, they go ahead and put a giant tacky blow up prescription bottle on the roof which say "CVS Best Drugstore in Town!!!"  :rolleyes:  Oh well...at least it's only temporary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You think there are any good drugs in that bottle? If it's filled with lithium, we could throw Bill James into it; the earth might possibly regain a human being that got side-tracked somewhere along the way.

You think there are any good drugs in that bottle?  If it's filled with lithium, we could throw Bill James into it; the earth might possibly regain a human being that got side-tracked somewhere along the way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or...just leave him in it for when its carted off to the next CVS grand opening... :whistling:

When i drove by this weekend, i noticed that the old storefront that shares the block with the new Gerrard Tire had crews working inside. they put up an awning, put new windows on, and crews were inside possibly painting.

does anyone know if this work is just to try to get a retailer, or if this is the result of a lease?

• 1 month later...

The giant "CVS/pharmacy" sign is coming down.  In its place, a new vertical neon logo is being fastened to the 6th St side as I type this.  Kinda cool.  The neon will be a welcome change to boring 4th Ward.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! That will be cool! That jumbo sign never sat right with me. Besides the fact that only the "CVS/" would ever illuminate.

Archived