New CVS on Graham St.

The new Dunkin Donuts is beginning to quickly take shape. Looks to be a slightly larger footprint than the shell it is replacing.

Can anyone explain why they preserved that shell? They seem to simply be taking it apart and replacing it with a slightly larger structure comprised entirely of new materials...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I happen to drive past this every day on my way home from work, so I'll give an update...it's not because I have an obsession with donuts, just wanted to clear that up.

Anyway, the brick work is done, and it matches the rest of the building and they have put in the windows. It's a relatively small structure, so I would think that the time to build the inside would not be excessive.

Has anyone heard any more on the rumor that this was only going to be Dunkin Donuts, and not Baskin Robbins, too?

I like the brick work, but I do wish they'd tried to match heights with the windows of the main building. They should either match or not match, but now, it looks a little bit off. I'm still pleased with the project, just a small critique.

• 4 weeks later...

That is great news. I was always surprised by that rumor, as it seemed like it wouldn't be much extra to add an icecream freezer, yet it really boosts the revenue on the space.

Also, I wonder if leasing out this retail and the office space above to Perkins and Will has allowed Gerrard to improve their facilities. I notice that in the past few days, they FINALLY upgraded the fence on their parking lot at 7th and Graham. It used to be a very run down chain link fence with barbed wire on top. It really brought down the appearance of the area. The new black aluminum fence with vertical poles and, it appears so far, no barbed wire, looks quite nice. While it would look nicer to have the lot paved, I actually think the reduced runoff from the gravel is a good thing.

^^^Well, I think someone ran their car through that fence. It was all torn up the monring of the last Panthers game, and was gone by the time the game started. I'm guessing someone complained that it was hanging into the sidewalk, either way, its another barbed wire fence gone from uptown.

ps. any ideas on how long we have before the arena DD/BR opens?

Snoop's (on the east side of Tryon not far from Matt's) also sells ice cream. I'm not sure what brand, but they have about 10 flavors there.

And if you're desperate (and the weather is bad) during the week, you can visit the McDonalds inside the overstreet for a sundae. :blush:

And finally, CVS, Eckerd's, and the little "sundries" places with asian cashiers, all have a coolers with a few prepackaged items. I'll admit their choices are pretty sparse though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And don't forget the Vue, the whole Fourth Ward neighborhood, Gateway Village, and the apartment projects on Graham Street,.

Plus, you can almost count all the wards, and maybe some neighborhoods north and west of downtown, as this will be the first ice cream shop for all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived