New CVS on Graham St.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped in for their "sneak preview" on Friday and had a donut and fruit drink.

This place is REALLY swanky for a donut shop. The ground floor is about what you'd expect, but the upstairs area has plush leather couches, flat-screen TVs and a sweet skyline view. Definitely a good place to kill time if you find yourself uptown with nothing to do.

I didn't notice, but I would be pretty surprised if they didn't have wi-fi. The place is awfully laptop friendly, almost Starbucks-ish on the top floor.

If they don't have it, I would actually feel comfortable approaching management with the suggestion. They seem very visible and attentive to detail, so they'd probably go for it.

• 4 weeks later...

This DD is going to be 24hrs soon. The girl this morning said they have to work out some security issues first, but within the next couple months will be 24/7. Possibly around the time the arena DD opens.

This was the norm for many DD in NJ when I lived there, and became known as a great late night hangout spot or meeting place. Considering all the J&W students and the already dense residential base in 4th ward/Gateway, this should be an easy success. Hopefully more to follow.

This DD is going to be 24hrs soon. The girl this morning said they have to work out some security issues first, but within the next couple months will be 24/7. Possibly around the time the arena DD opens.

This was the norm for many DD in NJ when I lived there, and became known as a great late night hangout spot or meeting place. Considering all the J&W students and the already dense residential base in 4th ward/Gateway, this should be an easy success. Hopefully more to follow.

FYI, for us transplants from New England (especially Boston), Dunkin Donuts is consitered part of our make up. It may sound silly, and others may not admit to it, but we were very used to having this place on every other street corner. I couldn't point out a Starbucks in Boston, but I know that there are DD's as soon as you come into the terminal at Logan Airport, underground between subway stops, and in the retail portions of many many buildings in the city. They are open 24/7 in a lot places, and are really the type of place that you use as a hub throughout the day - stop in grab a coffee, on the way home, out to a show later in the night, whatever. We didn't even think about how often we would stop by this place. And consitering how many transplants live in Charlotte now, I would say this DD will do very well all throughout the day.

Gosh, if DD takes off like it did in Boston, all our worries about ground level retail in new developments could be solved.

I was in the DD uptown on Sunday night with some classmates doing schoolwork (they have free WiFi) and got some interesting news from the staff (which, by the way, appears to number in the hundreds--I swear I've never seen so many people working behind the counter of a donut shop). Beginning tomorrow night, the DD on Graham will be open 24/7. Not sure I want to be in there at 4 a.m. on a Tuesday, but in the event I feel the need for a chocolate glazed in the middle of the night, I now know where to go.

FYI, for us transplants from New England (especially Boston), Dunkin Donuts is consitered part of our make up. It may sound silly, and others may not admit to it, but we were very used to having this place on every other street corner. I couldn't point out a Starbucks in Boston, but I know that there are DD's as soon as you come into the terminal at Logan Airport, underground between subway stops, and in the retail portions of many many buildings in the city. They are open 24/7 in a lot places, and are really the type of place that you use as a hub throughout the day - stop in grab a coffee, on the way home, out to a show later in the night, whatever. We didn't even think about how often we would stop by this place. And consitering how many transplants live in Charlotte now, I would say this DD will do very well all throughout the day.

Gosh, if DD takes off like it did in Boston, all our worries about ground level retail in new developments could be solved.

^This is so true, though Starbucks is making inroads. There are 6 DDs withing 200 yards of my office building (and also 3 Starbucks now). Even with all of that coverage, there are lines out the door of every location between 7:30 and 9:30 every morning.

I was in the DD uptown on Sunday night with some classmates doing schoolwork (they have free WiFi) and got some interesting news from the staff (which, by the way, appears to number in the hundreds--I swear I've never seen so many people working behind the counter of a donut shop). Beginning tomorrow night, the DD on Graham will be open 24/7. Not sure I want to be in there at 4 a.m. on a Tuesday, but in the event I feel the need for a chocolate glazed in the middle of the night, I now know where to go.

This will probably be a big late-night spot, like the Athens was, due to the ability to get copious amounts of unhealthy food and strong coffee during the wee hours. It would be interesting to be there about 3am on a Saturday and see what kind of crowd rolls through the door.

Archived